2019 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 26-28

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sierra117

Re: 2019 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 26-28

LM10 wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 16:12
Sierra117 wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 16:05
LM10 wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 16:00

You know, you can interpret everything this way. Mercedes also had issues this season. It happens. And this time hey are lucky that the favorites beat themselves. It’s simple as that.
Sure, except in this case it's pushing it too far. This is Ferrari's problem. They let themselves down. Saying Lec would have beaten Hamilton had it not been for whatever issue there was, is conjecture because Hamilton just posted a monster time himself. I certainly wasn't expecting him to hit that, maybe others did.

It's a perspective, yes, but one based on a big if. Facts are that Ferrari's reliability came up, which is a mechanical, mathematical issue (not external like rain, meteor etc.).

Trust me I didn't want to see Lec or Vet out. But that's just how it is.
I’m sure Leclerc would easily have been in a position to beat Hamilton’s time. I don’t know how you know that Ferrari pushed it too far or even showed their hands before Q3? Leclerc did a 1:12.2 in Q1 already.
I didn't say anywhere that Ferrari showed their hand. By pushing it too far I was referring to the luck argument.

If you hung around for the post-quali stuff, interviews and discussions, then what Karun said nailed it. You can only blame luck so far. There is some, but at the end it's still a mechanical issue that can be improved upon (and they hopefully will).

Leclerc and Hamilton would have been close. But I never make these arguments that one would have beaten the other because they are silly and pointless.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

dans79

godlameroso wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 16:13
If Bottas doesn't overtake Verstappen at the start of the race, Verstappen will beat Hamilton in a one on one duel.
I'll take two of whatever you're drinking / smoking!
197 104 103 7

godlameroso

dans79 wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 16:16
godlameroso wrote:
If Bottas doesn't overtake Verstappen at the start of the race, Verstappen will beat Hamilton in a one on one duel.
I'm sure that will happen, the Red Bull is better in the race than the Mercedes and the gap is tiny. Again it all depends on who can manage tires and keep the pace up. Hamilton is very inconsistent in sector 1, and the hairpin, with changing grip levels during the race that inconsistency will manifest itself.
Saishū kōnā

Sierra117

How can Hamilton be inconsistent with changing grip levels and also be arguably the best driver in the wet?
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

zibby43
zibby43

MtthsMlw wrote:
So without that 4 tenths a lap update Merc would have been just 3 tenths faster than Kimi? Something is off here. :wink:
Midfield closed up on RBR as well. Usually when something like that happens, the top teams are doing something different like compromising their setups for tire wear or weather.

This is what happens when FP1 and FP2 are wholly unrepresentative.

Plus, completely green track on top of inaccurate FP1/FP2 data.

Pyrone89

godlameroso wrote:
If Bottas doesn't overtake Verstappen at the start of the race, Verstappen will beat Hamilton in a one on one duel. The weather will definitely play a role tomorrow, knowing when to change tires, when to take advantage of safety cars will be crucial tomorrow. If it rains or not, there will be at least 1 virtual or actual safety car. The track is narrow in places and tangles usually end badly, especially in a first lap scenario where cars can get a good tow down to turn 2 and then again down the parabolic curve.
Euhm no, you realise HAM has a Merc that is 7 tenths faster in racepace based on FP AND Verstappen has to start on a worse tyre strategy? Verstappen is amazing but even he cant walk on water so to speak
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

godlameroso wrote:
dans79 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
I'm sure that will happen, the Red Bull is better in the race than the Mercedes and the gap is tiny. Again it all depends on who can manage tires and keep the pace up. Hamilton is very inconsistent in sector 1, and the hairpin, with changing grip levels during the race that inconsistency will manifest itself.
Where are you getting that the RBR is better than Mercedes in the race? The long runs yesterday didn’t showed that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jolle
Jolle

godlameroso wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 16:18
dans79 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
All depends I think what Mercedes their strategies were for qualifying. Looked a bit that they, with the disadvantage over Ferrari the rest of the weekend and the indications of rain on Sunday, compromised qualifying pace for (rainy) race setup, what explains the relative small gap to Sauber.

We'll see tomorrow! but if it rains, I hope for a good Verstappen Hamilton battle!

Pyrone89

godlameroso wrote:
dans79 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
Mercedes far far ahead (and this was in the 39 degree heat which they dont like, so expect it to be more tomorrow)
Last edited by Pyrone89 on 27 Jul 2019, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Sierra117 wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 16:15
LM10 wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 16:12
Sierra117 wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 16:05

Sure, except in this case it's pushing it too far. This is Ferrari's problem. They let themselves down. Saying Lec would have beaten Hamilton had it not been for whatever issue there was, is conjecture because Hamilton just posted a monster time himself. I certainly wasn't expecting him to hit that, maybe others did.

It's a perspective, yes, but one based on a big if. Facts are that Ferrari's reliability came up, which is a mechanical, mathematical issue (not external like rain, meteor etc.).

Trust me I didn't want to see Lec or Vet out. But that's just how it is.
I’m sure Leclerc would easily have been in a position to beat Hamilton’s time. I don’t know how you know that Ferrari pushed it too far or even showed their hands before Q3? Leclerc did a 1:12.2 in Q1 already.
I didn't say anywhere that Ferrari showed their hand. By pushing it too far I was referring to the luck argument.

If you hung around for the post-quali stuff, interviews and discussions, then what Karun said nailed it. You can only blame luck so far. There is some, but at the end it's still a mechanical issue that can be improved upon (and they hopefully will).

Leclerc and Hamilton would have been close. But I never make these arguments that one would have beaten the other because they are silly and pointless.
I’ve made this point in previous threads.

There is a fundamental problem in the Ferrari systems and it seems to effect everywhere. Design team, pit crew, race strategists, drivers, engine, etc.

Pyrone89 wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 16:24
godlameroso wrote:
If Bottas doesn't overtake Verstappen at the start of the race, Verstappen will beat Hamilton in a one on one duel. The weather will definitely play a role tomorrow, knowing when to change tires, when to take advantage of safety cars will be crucial tomorrow. If it rains or not, there will be at least 1 virtual or actual safety car. The track is narrow in places and tangles usually end badly, especially in a first lap scenario where cars can get a good tow down to turn 2 and then again down the parabolic curve.
Euhm no, you realise HAM has a Merc that is 7 tenths faster in racepace based on FP AND Verstappen has to start on a worse tyre strategy? Verstappen is amazing but even he cant walk on water so to speak
If it’s a wet start none of that matters
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

GPR-A

godlameroso wrote:
dans79 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
One off race in Austria, it's frog time of the monsoon.

godlameroso

Pyrone89 wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 16:30
godlameroso wrote:
dans79 wrote:

Mercedes far far ahead (and this was in the 39 degree heat which they dont like, so expect it to be more tomorrow)
https://scontent-amt2-1.cdninstagram.co ... tagram.com
If you take that as a meaningful representation of pace over 67 laps, you have a lot to learn little buddy. It's ok, you'll see tomorrow.
Saishū kōnā

GPR-A

Pyrone89 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
dans79 wrote:

And the race, as it stands, would start on Mediums!

GPR-A

godlameroso wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 16:56
Pyrone89 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

If you take that as a meaningful representation of pace over 67 laps, you have a lot to learn little buddy. It's ok, you'll see tomorrow.
Numbers in an excel sheet look different than an actual race. If a car that is faster by 7 tenths, if lead for 10 laps, it would create enough gap to then switch to cruise mode. Forget 67 laps!