Visibility of new articles

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Steven
Owner

Visibility of new articles

Hi all,

some of you may have noticed that a series of technical articles were updated recently (such as traction control, racing fuel, again more info on the BMW Sauber car, ...).

However, manchild today noted that probably it's not visible enough and that you guys might look over it. Therefore 3 questions to you all:

1. Did you notice these updates?
2. Are they visible enough?
3. What could be better to attract more attention to them?

flynfrog

i noticed them but only after luckly clicking the link to more articles hoping for something new maybe use a new picture for each one so they dont just blur together over in the margin

manchild
manchild

:oops:

Perhaps you could add something like NEW (perhaps blinking?) infront of title of each new or updated article and keep that NEW until you put on some new article that would inherit NEW mark while previous articles would loose it?

Like this

I mean I’m not complaining but only saying this for the sake of effort both of you put into writing technical articles and news.

I know Tomba doesn’t like tickers :lol: but they can be effective for announcements. If I was Tomba I’d put ticker on that dark bar below logo showing both latest news and other new items on the site. Some new scripts offer cool tickers that stop tickering on mouse over and work as hyperlink.

These are just suggestions to get more readers for things you put a lot time and effort in. :wink:
Last edited by manchild on 21 Jun 2006, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.

Ciro Pabón

1. Yes
2. Maybe
3. Long explanation follows with just 3 ideas. :oops:

I noticed also because some days ago (around the end of May, I think) I subscribed to your RSS feed and I have received 10 updates, first one dated on May 23.

I am an Opera user and this browser makes easy to connect to RSS feeds: just click on the RSS symbol and that's it (in Opera, mail, browser, adresses, history, download manager, chat and info on page are integrated). I am afraid that FF and IE do not make easy to use RSS, so my first suggestion (this is another lame joke, sorry) is to force everybody into Opera... :) Seriously:

- Maybe you could write something about the way to use RSS feeds on these three browsers, as I have seen almost no one of my friends use this feature. I tried last year to use RSS when I used FF briefly, at the height of its marketing effort, and was a little hard: do not know if this has changed as I rarely use FF (that I still have installed but not updated) and I avoid IE as the plague to achieve a stable system.

- I guess you could use some tag to make more visible the updates ("Updated" or "New" at the title, or maybe the date, or just a title on the frame that says "Updated Articles", for example). NOTE: Manchild beat me to that, as I tend to spend 10 or 15 minutes writing a post... and BTW, I hate tickers and animations too! I love simplicity, wich I equate with elegance. I think I understand MC as I have two graphic designers working with me (one of them is my partner), but I fight with their colorful and moving designs constantly! They, of course, mock my personal web page, proudly and entirely done in WordPad...

- I was waiting (and complained a couple of times!) for updates to the "Technical articles" link until I noticed that the "Documents" on this section (that end on the technical update for Imola, 2004) have below them a "Features" section that goes up to June 2006! I gave up on browsing down the page because I saw the 2004 date on the first "Document". So I suggest to put the "Features" section above the "Documents" section.
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 20 Jun 2006, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.
Ciro

zac510
zac510

Yes, simplicity and efficiency is also the best website engineering :)

With no disrespect to the great work Principessa does on the news articles, I think sometimes the tech articles are overshadowed by the normal day to day news.

Although I notice more and more new forum members everyday so new people are visiting the site every day so you probably are on the right track already :)

Principessa

manchild wrote:I know Tomba doesn’t like tickers :lol: but they can be effective for announcements. If I was Tomba I’d put ticker on that dark bar below logo showing both latest news and other new items on the site. Some new scripts offer cool tickers that stop tickering on mouse over and work as hyperlink.
I know that it's not always obvious for most readers to see if there is a new technical article. Though Tomba tried to show this when it's not in fat letters. I also think that it's something to consider when Tomba starts working on the site during the summer. But indeed I think Tomba will not like the ticker...and don't either :oops: . Perhaps there can be worked with colours.

There is of course also the problem that there are some members that go straight to the forum without visiting the home page, like this they can't see that there is something new as well :oops:

manchild
manchild

Principessa wrote:There is of course also the problem that there are some members that go straight to the forum without visiting the home page, like this they can't see that there is something new as well :oops:
me too :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Steven
Owner

Ciro Pabón wrote:- Maybe you could write something about the way to use RSS feeds on these three browsers, as I have seen almost no one of my friends use this feature. I tried last year to use RSS when I used FF briefly, at the height of its marketing effort, and was a little hard: do not know if this has changed as I rarely use FF (that I still have installed but not updated) and I avoid IE as the plague to achieve a stable system.
Did you check this already?
http://www.f1technical.net/pr/syndicate.php
Ciro Pabón wrote:- I was waiting (and complained a couple of times!) for updates to the "Technical articles" link until I noticed that the "Documents" on this section (that end on the technical update for Imola, 2004) have below them a "Features" section that goes up to June 2006! I gave up on browsing down the page because I saw the 2004 date on the first "Document". So I suggest to put the "Features" section above the "Documents" section.
True, the listing of the articles should be made better but I'm still thinking about how to do that. Bottom line... it's not easy ;) as ever: suggestions welcome

jgredline

Tomba
I just finished reading a couple of them. They were great. I guess I just never noticed them. I will start looking for them from now on.
To finish first, first you must finish.

Ciro Pabón

Tomba wrote:Did you check this already?
http://www.f1technical.net/pr/syndicate.php
No, I did not, thanks Tomba, "all our bases belong to you". You remind me of Garrincha's (the brazilian football idol) phrase: "Difficult things, you know, are not easy".

But you got to be kidding me: when I click the "instructions" link you give in your explanation, I find an estimated three pages of instructions that do not have even one screen shot. I was thinking more of 1-2-3 instructions style. News software? C'mon, next thing you are going to say to me is that you have to have separated bittorrent and chat software... :wink:
Ciro

Sawtooth-spike

oddly enought i always go to the front page of the forum cus its gold Loads of stuff on it, infact i normaly find that F1T is Normaly ahead of sites like f1 racing and itv f1.

1. Did you notice these updates?
yup, i always do, i read them on my lunch break, i really like the williams ones
2. Are they visible enough?
I think they are, but only becasue when i first started using this site i was looking for info about past cars and techincal bits, so i look for them.
3. What could be better to attract more attention to them?
i think manchild is right, one of those little new flashing things would be handy. or do something with the Iconics to make them stand out a little more.

i still think it would be cool to have for the the "aerodynamic" section to have like a 3d f1 car (with F1T livery) with arrows and stuff that point to the bits as links, if anybody here could do it in flash that would be really cool!
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Principessa

Well one thing is for sure. You all come up with good ideas! It's easier for Tomba and me if we know what you would like to see improved on the site :wink: !

manchild
manchild

Sawtooth-spike wrote:...i still think it would be cool to have for the the "aerodynamic" section to have like a 3d f1 car (with F1T livery) with arrows and stuff that point to the bits as links, if anybody here could do it in flash that would be really cool!
I had that in mind last winter so I made pile of thumbnails/icons that would suit articles and Tomba said something like he's planing update for this summer. :wink:

I'd show them all now but than surprise would be spoiled (if Tomba decides to use them at all :oops: )

Principessa

For the ones who haven't seen it...there is a new technical article online: http://www.f1technical.net/features/3333 :wink:

Ciro Pabón

And another one: http://www.f1technical.net/articles/3337

BTW, reading the fuel article: did you know that you can save some money if you get your fuel early in the morning, when the fuel is denser? They charge you by the liter, not by kilo... :wink:

Get RSS!
Ciro