McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
kfrantzios
kfrantzios

Re: McLaren MCL35

SmallSoldier wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 19:14
PlatinumZealot wrote:S-duct should bring less drag.

Probably other reasons...
It does create drag (the openings for the air to enter the duct itself are drag inducing)... It does have a benefit helping manage the air on top of the noses and reattach it... If the benefit isn’t larger than the drag penalty for them, I’m sure they would be using it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If the airflow does not detach there is no need to reattach it, right? Not only the openings but the duct itself is drag inducing. If the detached airflow induces more drag than the duct itself then teams use it.

Motörhead
Motörhead

kfrantzios wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 19:26
SmallSoldier wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 19:14
PlatinumZealot wrote:S-duct should bring less drag.

Probably other reasons...
It does create drag (the openings for the air to enter the duct itself are drag inducing)... It does have a benefit helping manage the air on top of the noses and reattach it... If the benefit isn’t larger than the drag penalty for them, I’m sure they would be using it.

If the airflow does not detach there is no need to reattach it, right? Not only the openings but the duct itself is drag inducing. If the detached airflow induces more drag than the duct itself then teams use it.
Gentlemen (and Ladies!) The S-Duct is all about Weight Vs performance gain. It’s tight on the numbers.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

A few more pictures from the filming day

f1rules
f1rules

Ah yes :D
Ground Effect wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 18:01
f1rules wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 17:39
Personally i dont think there will be an f-duct, its a basic feature that everyone that wants to have, has, unless mclaren reinvented it, i see no reason for them to hide it, its the last year of these aero rules, most teams will channel resources to next year very very early, so unless the gains are huuugggeee teams will follow their own routes with what they think will gain them the most, having to research and copy from another car will in my opinion be very difficult this year, there just isnt enough time, unless offcourse its a simple thing
I don’t think there’ll be an f-duct either, it’s been banned for about a decade now... :wink: :-D (I know you mean s-duct)

f1rules
f1rules

f1rules
f1rules

highlited you can see how early the gearbox ends at floor level and then is raised, they had to put extra fastening where the rear suspension upright meet the floor

f1rules
f1rules

Thunder

f1rules wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 19:53
Nice Picture. Really shows off the Sidepod shape the Paintjob is otherwise hiding really well.

2 Observations on the Car:
- there is a second smaller Boomerang wing behind the main one. It's visible in the McLaren Videos where the Car exits the Garage.
- that Vanity Panel on the front Bulkhead is not here to stay i recon. That Gap can't be one of a final Product.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Bernie's Mistress
Bernie's Mistress

f1rules wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 20:11
highlited you can see how early the gearbox ends at floor level and then is raised, they had to put extra fastening where the rear suspension upright meet the floor

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQ_xXeeXkAA ... name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQ_yL_5XUAA ... name=small
Isn't that either i) a sensor related to the pitot tubes which have been positioned (temporarily) across the floor or ii) a strain gauge measuring deflection of the floor?

given the size of it i'd be surprised it is structural

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Thunder wrote:
f1rules wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 19:53
Nice Picture. Really shows off the Sidepod shape the Paintjob is otherwise hiding really well.

- there is a second smaller Boomerang wing behind the main one. It's visible in the McLaren Videos where the Car exits the Garage.
- that Vanity Panel on the front Bulkhead is not here to stay i recon. That Gap can't be one of a final Product.
You mean this one:

Thunder

SmallSoldier wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 21:22

You mean this one:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202002 ... e2fac9.jpg

Yes, the Panel with the Driver Number on it.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

shinekraj
shinekraj

I was looking at the MCL34 vs MCL35 image comparison and thought of scaling the images to a comparable proportion. On the below comparison I pivoted the images based on the tire HEIGHT to minimize the perspective differences of the photography angles and the results looks pretty astonishing. No wonder why they did not publish the wheelbase for the car for 2020.

charliesmithhd

SmallSoldier wrote:
Thunder wrote:

You mean this one:

I cant seem to see the 2nd boomerang, you got a screenshot of it?

Emag
Emag

charliesmithhd wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 22:12
SmallSoldier wrote:
Thunder wrote:

You mean this one:

I cant seem to see the 2nd boomerang, you got a screenshot of it?

f1rules
f1rules

yeah youre right, might be that
you can see it here also
Bernie's Mistress wrote:
f1rules wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 20:11

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQ_xXeeXkAA ... name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQ_yL_5XUAA ... name=small
Isn't that either i) a sensor related to the pitot tubes which have been positioned (temporarily) across the floor or ii) a strain gauge measuring deflection of the floor?

given the size of it i'd be surprised it is structural
Last edited by f1rules on 17 Feb 2020, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.