2020 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 17-19

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
McMika98
McMika98

Re: 2020 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 17-19

epo wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 18:08

Yeah exactly, time also to promote Albon, perhaps Max to AT and Kyvat in the other RB seat?
And maybe you replacing Horner?
No need, Max will leave the team if this continues for rest of the year. Horner may well get the boot. The car is a shambles especially when they said they will be challenging Merc.

simieski
simieski

Schuttelberg wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 17:48
All this talk of Hamilton's lap. I think he could have gone faster still. Wasn't he down on his previous S1 time? Had Bottas taken pole, this would have been highlighted by his critics no end. It's unbelievable how fickle F1 fans are.
People are all over Albon at the moment when the guy who is sat on pole cost him a win in the first race.
Did some of the drivers report it was spitting with rain at T1. Could explain it or possibly being less agressive to have more grip later on in the lap. S1 wasn’t a personal best but then went purple for S2 and S3. Or he just made a mistake
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

mkay
mkay

Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 18:07
Schuttelberg wrote:
All this talk of Hamilton's lap. I think he could have gone faster still. Wasn't he down on his previous S1 time?
Indeed. He was a tenth down on his previous S1 time and then pulled more from the lap as it progressed. He should have been a couple of tenths quicker than his eventual pole time.
He wasn’t a tenth down. He was 0.02s down (26.95 vs 26.93)

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... es_v01.pdf

Laserguru

Hammerfist wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 18:16
epo wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 16:23
Hammerfist wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 16:21

Redbull need to lay off the Max cool-aid and build a car that both drivers can live with. Max alone is not going to get them to beat Mercedes, they need to create that intra team rivalry where both drivers are pushing each other. That is how Mercedes did it, first with Rosberg and Hamilton, than now with Hamilton and Bottas. You get the feeling both guys like the car. Albon does not feel comfortable in the Redbull. That much is clear.
Dude really? In what way does this car suit Verstappen?
It suits him much better than the last 3 teammates he has had. Come on surely you have noticed a pattern?

Could it be that RBR builds dogs of cars lately, and that Max can handle difficult cars better? Nah, that would be a... how do you call that? A pattern. Right. Max can handle unpredictable instable cars, so that’s what they wanted to build, they have done it, an now we see happy faces at RBR all over the place!
Engineering thrives on communication. Jus soli defending WDC, love and merchandise McLaren, passion and inspiration Ferrari. Open wheel car racing and karting addict.

PlatinumZealot

The RB certainly gone down a wonky design path that the drivers may think they can control for all track types, but obviously not. Max is turning out to be like a Mika Hakkinen. He will drive anything but doesn't know if the car could have an alternate setup that would make him go faster.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

LM10
LM10

NathanOlder wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 18:37
LM10 wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 16:07
Funniest scene was seeing Racing Point garage going wild over 3rd and 4th - with a car they didn't build.
Nah, the highlight. was seeing RedBull looking so glum over a crap car they did build.
I must say, I was really surprised seeing Ferrari being faster than the RedBull, particularly in the hands of Verstappen.
Most people were expecting them to be close to Mercedes before the season started. Maybe next time Helmut Marko shouldn't praise their car as much as he did. But he fooled me into believing it as well, I'm not going to deny it.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

LM10 wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 19:27
NathanOlder wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 18:37
LM10 wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 16:07
Funniest scene was seeing Racing Point garage going wild over 3rd and 4th - with a car they didn't build.
Nah, the highlight. was seeing RedBull looking so glum over a crap car they did build.
I must say, I was really surprised seeing Ferrari being faster than the RedBull, particularly in the hands of Verstappen.
Most people were expecting them to be close to Mercedes before the season started. Maybe next time Helmut Marko shouldn't praise their car as much as he did. But he fooled me into believing it as well, I'm not going to deny it.
is it car or engine? Only RB and Honda knows.

LM10
LM10

Fulcrum wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 18:17
LM10 wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 16:13
El Scorchio wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 16:10

Well they did build it. Just had a bit of ‘inspiration’ in the design.

TBH it’s good. Adding to all the spice behind the Mercedes.
I'm sorry. I should have written "with a car they didn't design". Of course they built it - by getting some of that "inspiration" before.
Even funnier. Watching the other teams' "original" designs be slower than a 1-year old copycat design. How much wasted money was that then?
Well, looking at Ferrari, there is a confirmed reason of their poor performance: loss of power (in combination with designing their car around a strong PU). But even though they have that PU problem and some serious correlation issues or whatever else they might have, today they were as fast as the W10 last year. So that doesn't sound too bad for this weekend at least. I'm not comparing to the W10 of this year because it has a more powerful PU in it.

As for RedBull, I don't know what their problem is, but for now it surely doesn't look good to be fighting last year's Mercedes when their serious and clear target was to make Verstappen the youngest WDC.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

epo wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 18:32
Hammerfist wrote:
epo wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 16:23

Dude really? In what way does this car suit Verstappen?
It suits him much better than the last 3 teammates he has had. Come on surely you have noticed a pattern?
Only pattern I see is your anti Max posts on this forum.
Then you are a very poor observer. I ain't bashing Max. I wanted Max to put up a real challenge to Hamilton this year. It would have been great to watch. Unfortunately Redbull has decided to put all their eggs in one basket and it is just not working.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 19:23
The RB certainly gone down a wonky design path that the drivers may think they can control for all track types, but obviously not. Max is turning out to be like a Mika Hakkinen. He will drive anything but doesn't know if the car could have an alternate setup that would make him go faster.
Exactly that. I think it may have to do with the fact that Max doesn't mind an oversteery car, in fact it suits his driving style perfectly. But what is becoming clearer every day is that an oversteery car will probably never beat the Merc.

hudnut
hudnut

sprint car76 wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 16:34
I'm finding it quite amusing how the stroll critics are missing except for trying to rationalize how perez in race trim is going to be faster. Should be interesting race tomorrow between stroll and perez. Sometimes i think people forget stroll is only 21 and does not have the experience of perez. Enjoy.
On the other hand, many people were saying last year that just about any driver on the grid could win in the W10, and now Stroll is sitting in it.

Schuttelberg

Hammerfist wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 19:46
epo wrote:
Hammerfist wrote:

Then you are a very poor observer. I ain't bashing Max. I wanted Max to put up a real challenge to Hamilton this year. It would have been great to watch. Unfortunately Redbull has decided to put all their eggs in one basket and it is just not working.
Max would have won the first race in Austria. He maximised the second race. His position against Hamilton has nothing to do with him, only the fact that nobody is near the Mercedes.

If anyone is looking at the last 2 races and this qualifying and saying any of the drivers aren't up to the mark compared to the Mercedes drivers they don't understand our sport. The championship positions are decided. 1 and 2 and the WCC. In equal cars or even a slightly slower car, Verstappen will eat Bottas alive. Hamilton is a whole different matter.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Unf wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 18:06
holeindalip wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 18:03
SmallSoldier wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 17:24

I’m excited about it... Not a Mercedes fan, but nothing wrong about getting excited to watch what could arguably be the best car in F1 history... As exciting for me as watching the MP4/4 in 1988

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He just doesn’t get it......
For me - what makes me excited in F1 - is a fightning wheel to wheel and 0.010 gap between. This is racing and this is adrenaline.

If for you guys it is amazing when one team is 1s quicker than anyone else... ok...

That is not F1. F1 has almost always had a dominant team. There was few years as exception. With regards to the last 4-5 years, other teams have to do a better job than cheating (Ferrari) or designing cars only good at single type of circuits (hand stand Redbull). If 2 year old Merc (RP) can beat the new Ferrari and Redbull that is not Merc's fault.

F1 is demonstration of bleeding edge of tech + strategy + great driving + some luck.

Great driving is part of F1, not the whole.

It is a "team" "motor" "sport".

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Schuttelberg wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 20:01
Hammerfist wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 19:46
epo wrote:

Max would have won the first race in Austria. He maximised the second race. His position against Hamilton has nothing to do with him, only the fact that nobody is near the Mercedes.

If anyone is looking at the last 2 races and this qualifying and saying any of the drivers aren't up to the mark compared to the Mercedes drivers they don't understand our sport. The championship positions are decided. 1 and 2 and the WCC. In equal cars or even a slightly slower car, Verstappen will eat Bottas alive. Hamilton is a whole different matter.
Vest can "eat" Bottas in Redbull, 100%. I am not sure if he can beat him in Mercedes ;) If Bottas (or Nico Rosberg for that matter) were in Redbull (or Ferrari) they could hardly won any races forget about championship. Merc is the only team who gives equal treatment to its drivers until a clear front runner appears.

Pany
Pany

You may be right. Could be vestappen is not very good at guiding car design. Like Mansell or Villeneuve or Vettel or keke.
mkay wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 19:01
Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 18:07
Schuttelberg wrote:
All this talk of Hamilton's lap. I think he could have gone faster still. Wasn't he down on his previous S1 time?
Indeed. He was a tenth down on his previous S1 time and then pulled more from the lap as it progressed. He should have been a couple of tenths quicker than his eventual pole time.
He wasn’t a tenth down. He was 0.02s down (26.95 vs 26.93)

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... es_v01.pdf