2020 Turkish Grand Prix - Instanbul Park, Nov 13 - 15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SiLo

Re: 2020 Turkish Grand Prix - Instanbul Park, Nov 13 - 15

I mentioned this earlier on Reddit that they could just get a tonne of locals to drive around the track all night and help clean it up!
Felipe Baby!

NathanOlder

SiLo wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 21:47
I mentioned this earlier on Reddit that they could just get a tonne of locals to drive around the track all night and help clean it up!
Trouble is the 100+ locals that offer their services , race their cars (as everyone would) a few blow ups, a few bumps and scrapes and the next morning you have a combination of oil, coolant and glass on the circuit :shock:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Big Tea

Mogster wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 21:22
Big Tea wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 20:41
zibby43 wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 20:28

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said, with one (albeit slightly significant) caveat.

I want to see the cars going fast and not tip-toeing around Turn 8. I want to see the cars going fast, period. Or we may as well just have a karting event this weekend, so we can at least see some machinery being used to full potential.
But if the cars just go as fast as they can all the time, there is not so much skill in that is there.
Like being a train driver on the bends (not having a go at train drivers lol)
That is one of the skills they are supposed to have.
The cars/tyres clearly weren’t designed for this temperature and surface. If you haven’t watched the start of FP1 then you can’t understand. Cars were just under steering wildly at quite low speeds and snapping into violent oversteer. Everyone was tiptoeing round, it wasn’t fun to watch. The pit wall engineers were telling the drivers the tyres were 20°+ outside the window.

Chandhok actually said that inters would probably have been better, and it was easy to believe.
Yeh, I watched it. Exceptional circumstances is different, but to me if cars can take a corner flat, it needs to be re-profiled. Its about driving, not just going fastest, that's why Aero is so important. It is also, to me, the difference between F1 and oval racing
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Big Tea

NathanOlder wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 21:54
SiLo wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 21:47
Trouble is the 100+ locals that offer their services , race their cars (as everyone would) a few blow ups, a few bumps and scrapes and the next morning you have a combination of oil, coolant and glass on the circuit :shock:
A few over filed diesels too?

zibby43
zibby43

dans79 wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 20:32
zibby43 wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 20:28
I want to see the cars going fast and not tip-toeing around Turn 8. I want to see the cars going fast, period. Or we may as well just have a karting event this weekend, so we can at least see some machinery being used to full potential.
As it stands I would say we are verging on conditions that are unsafe to race in when you consider the temperature, the track surface, and the tires.

We will be lucky to not have a massive pile up some place on lap 1.
Yeah, there’s virtually no skill involved when the surface is inconsistent from corner to corner.

It’s just a lottery. Mercedes are really struggling with tire temps.

falonso81

Its weird to see the words Mercedes and struggling in the same sentence.

nzjrs

Would laugh if the hard road spec tires on the cars being driven slowly around the circuit just rub the soft F1 rubber away and make it worse.

Mogster

Big Tea wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 21:54
Mogster wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 21:22
Big Tea wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 20:41

But if the cars just go as fast as they can all the time, there is not so much skill in that is there.
Like being a train driver on the bends (not having a go at train drivers lol)
That is one of the skills they are supposed to have.
The cars/tyres clearly weren’t designed for this temperature and surface. If you haven’t watched the start of FP1 then you can’t understand. Cars were just under steering wildly at quite low speeds and snapping into violent oversteer. Everyone was tiptoeing round, it wasn’t fun to watch. The pit wall engineers were telling the drivers the tyres were 20°+ outside the window.

Chandhok actually said that inters would probably have been better, and it was easy to believe.
Yeh, I watched it. Exceptional circumstances is different, but to me if cars can take a corner flat, it needs to be re-profiled. Its about driving, not just going fastest, that's why Aero is so important. It is also, to me, the difference between F1 and oval racing
I’m all for driving challenge it’s clear if the cars were designed for these conditions it would be different. They cars looked barely driveable on their own, Q1 and the race start could be ridiculous/dangerous.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Never mind the road tires on the track. Its raining there at the moment.

Its gonna be just fun tomorrow. Then carnage in the race. George Russell may have taken the right course of acton in the grid penalties. Go to the back, have a average start, stay out of trouble, watch the idiots in front, P9 for the e entire race almost. Sad thing is Latiffi may get a P6 or something crazy as he isn't suffering as much as George.

This weekend is gonna be fun for those of us who like a little bit of chaos and crazy.

Big Tea

The cars were Grosjens idea then?

ismail1991
ismail1991

I agree that the new asphalt does not help, but 15 november is actually the beginning of the winter in Turkey. The cold temperatures also have an huge effect on the grip of the track. The cars would have trouble generating heat at these temperatures also at other tracks.

ismail1991
ismail1991

In addition, I really don't understand how Pirelli decides on its tire choices from the data they had 8 years ago. Track officials and pirelli engineers should have had a meeting and discuss which tyres are the way to go.

ispano6

In the radio control car world there is a practice of spraying sugar water or soda to make the track surface tacky.
It would be kind of funny to try it, though you might end up having a lot of ants all over the circuit.

godlameroso

They took our advice and are "adding grip"
Saishū kōnā

Moore77

Why is everyone is behaving like it is doomsday? A cold, new and grip less surface. If some cars go off, so be it. Not like 20 cars are competing for podiums anyway. Organizers are trying to add some rubber with road cars. Well, let them try. Hope it doesn't change things much.

Cars were set up with wrong data yesterday. They would completely change it for today to gain more grip and to work the tyres better. By FP2, everyone started going faster and with changed setups, they would be more normal.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.