Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
NicoS

Re: Red Bull RB18

Another one of the hogwash "journo" "analysis" articles.
Mercedes does not have more "exposed floor space"... All teams have a channel between floor and side pod. Normal side pod does not rob "floor space".
In fact Mercedes flop pods bonded to front of floor actually reduces floor area....

GrizzleBoy

NicoS wrote:
17 May 2022, 09:22
Mercedes does not have more "exposed floor space"... All teams have a channel between floor and side pod. Normal side pod does not rob "floor space".
In fact Mercedes flop pods bonded to front of floor actually reduces floor area....
Merc having most exposed floor area (especially the rear) has been a common knowledge thing since the car launched though.

gandharva

As the article says, they use sevaral of these:

Curbstone

NicoS wrote:
17 May 2022, 10:34
GrizzleBoy wrote:
17 May 2022, 09:38
NicoS wrote:

Merc having most exposed floor area (especially the rear) has been a common knowledge thing since the car launched though.
do you have area comparison data. you refer to it as "common knowledge" I refer to it as opinion. You are welcome to prove your theory. more serious consideration will be given to you once you can back your claim with data.
This is a "technical" forum and generally items of a "technical" nature is data driven. not just shoot from the hip gung-ho "I feel every thing my team does is gold!" nonsense.
What are you on about, you're not presenting any data yourself. It is very clear Mercedes have the most exposed floor area ar the rear. In total this may be a bit different, but al articles regarding porpoising are focusing on the rear of the floor, and so is GrizzleBoy.
Have a look at the comparison thread and see for yourself. viewtopic.php?p=1041602#p1041602

AbbaleRacing77

<…>
Nobody has the data... I think the article has great points. Thanks for posting.

matteosc

NicoS wrote:
17 May 2022, 16:07
Curbstone wrote:
17 May 2022, 12:09
NicoS wrote:
17 May 2022, 10:34

do you have area comparison data. you refer to it as "common knowledge" I refer to it as opinion. You are welcome to prove your theory. more serious consideration will be given to you once you can back your claim with data.
This is a "technical" forum and generally items of a "technical" nature is data driven. not just shoot from the hip gung-ho "I feel every thing my team does is gold!" nonsense.
What are you on about, you're not presenting any data yourself. It is very clear Mercedes have the most exposed floor area ar the rear. In total this may be a bit different, but al articles regarding porpoising are focusing on the rear of the floor, and so is GrizzleBoy.
Have a look at the comparison thread and see for yourself. viewtopic.php?p=1041602#p1041602
never made a claim, Just asked you to support the claim you made with data (as of yet you were unable to do).
All these pictures you supplied supports what I said, the lack of sidepods on Wo13 lets you see more floor... with other teams this view is obscured from view, not airflow, therefore I believe the floors to be very closely matched in surface area.
I will duly apologize If you can provide qualitative data to prove your assumption as being correct.
like "they" say: in god we trust, for everything else we need data.
In the post quoted it is evident that Mercedes has way more exposed floor at the back than Red Bull. It is not about point of views, camera angle o shadows. It is as good as a data as we can get and yes, it is "qualitative" (as you asked) since no number can be obtained.

matteosc

NicoS wrote:
17 May 2022, 16:47
matteosc wrote:
17 May 2022, 16:39
NicoS wrote:
17 May 2022, 16:07

never made a claim, Just asked you to support the claim you made with data (as of yet you were unable to do).
All these pictures you supplied supports what I said, the lack of sidepods on Wo13 lets you see more floor... with other teams this view is obscured from view, not airflow, therefore I believe the floors to be very closely matched in surface area.
I will duly apologize If you can provide qualitative data to prove your assumption as being correct.
like "they" say: in god we trust, for everything else we need data.
In the post quoted it is evident that Mercedes has way more exposed floor at the back than Red Bull. It is not about point of views, camera angle o shadows. It is as good as a data as we can get and yes, it is "qualitative" (as you asked) since no number can be obtained.

"In the post quoted it is evident that Mercedes has way more exposed floor at the back than Red Bull."

Yes, I'm asking to qualify this statement with data.
just supply the "evident" portion that you suggest. all i'm asking.Not journalistic assumption.
I do not understand the resistance to this?
so simple:
1. provide the "evident" (as you stated)
2 quantify "way more" (as you stated)
First of all you asked for "qualitative" data, not "quantitative", so you did not ask for a number (quantity). Second, no one has a number and no on will ever have a number.

What is in the picture is evident to anyone: if you are still not convinced that Mercedes has more floor exposed to the airflow than Red Bull (and many others) at the rear, nothing will ever convince you. Maybe you can come up with a number showing that this is not true, instead of asking for the impossible.

NicoS

matteosc wrote:
17 May 2022, 17:21
NicoS wrote:
17 May 2022, 17:04
matteosc wrote:
17 May 2022, 16:54

First of all you asked for "qualitative" data, not "quantitative", so you did not ask for a number (quantity). Second, no one has a number and no on will ever have a number.

What is in the picture is evident to anyone: if you are still not convinced that Mercedes has more floor exposed to the airflow than Red Bull (and many others) at the rear, nothing will ever convince you. Maybe you can come up with a number showing that this is not true, instead of asking for the impossible.
yes, I will put in some effort and prove to you that difference in floor area is no more than 1 : 1.0563.
If I don't put in the effort who will :P
OK, go ahead, have fun.
just so we are on the same page, you do include the area under the rear suspension where the floor curves up to form top of the diffusor as floor area?

Also start off floor is the first horizontal area that is the reference plane emanating from tip of splitter and progressing outward and backwards?

Also vertical sections forming tunnel outer edges is also considered floor?

matteosc

NicoS wrote:
17 May 2022, 17:31
matteosc wrote:
NicoS wrote:
17 May 2022, 17:04

yes, I will put in some effort and prove to you that difference in floor area is no more than 1 : 1.0563.
If I don't put in the effort who will :P
OK, go ahead, have fun.
just so we are on the same page, you do include the area under the rear suspension where the floor curves up to form top of the diffusor as floor area?

Also start off floor is the first horizontal area that is the reference plane emanating from tip of splitter and progressing outward and backwards?

Horizontal sections only, from lower impact structure to diffuse edge or whatever point is clearly visible, as long as it is the same for both cars. Going up to the rear wheels centerline should be enough.

Edit: this should be in the 2022 car comparison thread, I will quote there the next reply.

CMSMJ1

matteosc wrote:
17 May 2022, 17:38
NicoS wrote:
17 May 2022, 17:31
matteosc wrote:

OK, go ahead, have fun.

Horizontal sections only, from lower impact structure to diffuse edge or whatever point is clearly visible, as long as it is the same for both cars. Going up to the rear wheels centerline should be enough.

Edit: this should be in the 2022 car comparison thread, I will quote there the next reply.
Thanks matteosc =D>
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

PlatinumZealot

NicoS wrote:
Wait.. Isn't it obvious that smaller side pods mean that you can see more of the floor from the top view?

I think you misunderstood what was meant here.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

AR3-GP

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 May 2022, 15:59
NicoS wrote:
Wait.. Isn't it obvious that smaller side pods mean that you can see more of the floor from the top view?

I think you misunderstood what was meant here.
"Shorter" sidepods is probably what you are looking to say?

AeroDynamic

High DF rear wing, similar shape to what MCS started out with, and what Ferrari is also running this weekend

BlueCheetah66

AeroDynamic wrote:
19 May 2022, 17:40

High DF rear wing, similar shape to what MCS started out with, and what Ferrari is also running this weekend
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FTIbOXaUYAA ... name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FTIbOXQUAAA ... name=large

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... -bra-1.jpg
Am I right in thinking these are two different rear wings. The first one looks a lot bigger than the second one

SirBastianVettel

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
19 May 2022, 17:48
Am I right in thinking these are two different rear wings. The first one looks a lot bigger than the second one
I was thinking the same. Perhaps it’s just the different angle, or perhaps Vips will test the Monaco wing in FP1?