2022 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, April 08 - 10

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
marvin78
marvin78

Re: 2022 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, April 08 - 10

As I always said: Overtakes (or the count of them) are only a small factor for making F1 good or exciting. I for one saw many exiting races without many overtakes and boring races with many overtakes. Last race was ridiculous. I don't get fun out of artificial "excitement'.
Last edited by marvin78 on 05 Apr 2022, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.

langedweil

Just_a_fan wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 14:36
Sevach wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 14:12
To me they are moving from impossible to overtake to impossible to defend.
The drivers may end up forcing the FOM's / Liberty's hand by doing stuff like we saw last week - hard braking to try to get the DRS for the next straight. It was fun / funny / silly (however one sees it) for one race, but if it happens a lot and, no doubt, causes a shunt, I can see DRS being altered to avoid shouts of "F1 is really silly now!".
That's why I think it'll work better when DRS is free of use for a limited time per race. Use wisely, or stay where you are. But not having that modelled out, I'm sure it will cause other unwanted side-effects to start floating ...
HuggaWugga !

Zynerji

langedweil wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 16:04
Just_a_fan wrote:
Sevach wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 14:12
To me they are moving from impossible to overtake to impossible to defend.
The drivers may end up forcing the FOM's / Liberty's hand by doing stuff like we saw last week - hard braking to try to get the DRS for the next straight. It was fun / funny / silly (however one sees it) for one race, but if it happens a lot and, no doubt, causes a shunt, I can see DRS being altered to avoid shouts of "F1 is really silly now!".
That's why I think it'll work better when DRS is free of use for a limited time per race. Use wisely, or stay where you are. But not having that modelled out, I'm sure it will cause other unwanted side-effects to start floating ...
Meh. Id rather see the skill/bravery of the driver, and the downforce generation of the car be the limiting factor. In 2011/12/13, Vettel was able to use the DRS like 60% of the lap in qualifying. It separated the men from the boys, for sure!

SiLo

Zynerji wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 17:32
langedweil wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Meh. Id rather see the skill/bravery of the driver, and the downforce generation of the car be the limiting factor. In 2011/12/13, Vettel was able to use the DRS like 60% of the lap in qualifying. It separated the men from the boys, for sure!
It separated the best cars from the worst cars really. Not the men from the boys.
Felipe Baby!

basti313
basti313

SiLo wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 17:45
Zynerji wrote:
langedweil wrote:

It separated the best cars from the worst cars really. Not the men from the boys.
So you mean Webber lobbied for getting rid of it because he had a bad car and not because he was able to use it less than Vettel?

But anyways...nonsense discussion. The DRS everywhere or even DRS in Q is/was simply because they are afraid that the gearbox is not adjusted to it. No need to change this.

Furthermore especially DTM tried all sorts of DRS and Push-to-pass rules. All the crazy stuff mentioned on the last page like free usage to a certain number or usage for a full lap, etc.
All proven bull$hit.

DRS is fine in the format we have it once the number an length of the DRS zones is adjusted to the cars to make racing possible. At the moment I feel like it is more abused for artificial action, but this is just again length and number. So we do not have to discuss possible rule changes in every race thread.
Don`t russel the hamster!

etusch

marvin78 wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 15:53
As I always said: Overtakes (or the count of them) are only a small factor for making F1 good or exciting. I for one saw many exiting races without many overtakes and boring races with many overtakes. Last race was ridiculous. I don't get fun out of artificial "excitement'.
I think my suggestions I writed st last race's topic was best way for now to make it better. (I am lazy to write them again here 😁)

PlatinumZealot

Barichello (or Massa?) crashed in the tunnel in Monaco and they stopped making DRS free in qualifying.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Juzh

PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 19:33
Barichello (or Massa?) crashed in the tunnel in Monaco and they stopped making DRS free in qualifying.
DRS in tunnel was forbidden outright, even during unlimited days. Same with downhill to eau rouge.

langedweil

Well, most epic would be to increase the power-to-weight ratio just so the driver would be the limiting factor, not the car.
Like the driver knows/feels the car is continuously trying to kill him ...

But with that, we'd have to expect a few drivers won't live to see the checkered flag in Abu Dhabi. And that's not very woke these days (OZ MODE ON) I reckon.
HuggaWugga !

Zynerji

SiLo wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 17:45
Zynerji wrote:
langedweil wrote:

Having DRS open through Eau Rouge would like you to reconsider that statement...😉

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

langedweil wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 20:24
Well, most epic would be to increase the power-to-weight ratio just so the driver would be the limiting factor, not the car.

But with that, we'd have to expect a few drivers won't live to see the checkered flag in Abu Dhabi. And that's not very woke these days (OZ MODE ON) I reckon.
Man, the woke crowd now thinks we should prioritize people living over our own entertainment? It just never ends with those people, eh?

Zynerji

Seanspeed wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 20:59
langedweil wrote:

Man, the woke crowd now thinks we should prioritize people living over our own entertainment? It just never ends with those people, eh?
Drivers: pay me 50M to drive the most dangerous cars in the world and make me famous!

Teams: here you go!

Drivers to FIA: make the cars safer

FIA: here you go!

Drivers: the racing is stale, and slow with overweight cars. I need more money...

F1Krof

4 DRS zones? A tad late in the topic, but are you kidding me?
Wroom wroom

PlatinumZealot

Seanspeed wrote:
langedweil wrote:

Depends on who is willing to risk their lives for glory!

It could work. You could have a series with drivers consisting of prisoners that are in for life or on death-row. They race for reduced sentences and even freedom. A true gladiator sport!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 00:52
Seanspeed wrote:
langedweil wrote:

Depends on who is willing to risk their lives for glory!

It could work. You could have a series with drivers consisting of prisoners that are in for life or on death-row. They race for reduced sentences and even freedom. A true gladiator sport!
Jason Statham won that one a few years ago. :wink: :lol: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.