How useless is sky sports f1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
adrianjordan

Re: How useless is sky sports f1

Shakeman wrote:
28 Jun 2022, 12:11
I don't know how anyone manages to watch a whole race with the teenage girl screaming of Crofty going on? I find getting through the 5 to 10 mins of the Race highlights almost too much of a challenge. It's just so grating on the ears and if you've heard one Brundle commentary you've heard them all.

C4 had the best TV commentary team but I make a point of listening to the Radio when F1Elvis is commentating, always measured and knowledgeable and I liked Palmer's input for the same reasons which is sorely missed.

Whenever Rosberg is around he's very good value, he appears not to care if his questions are awkward which is how journalism should be instead of the arse kissing most pundits go in for.

Sky F1 is the last thing I'd pay good money to put myself through on a Sunday even if the racing was good, which it isn't.
Just shows, horses for courses, because I cannot stand Rosberg - he always comes across as smug and arrogant to me (which is weird as I've often enjoyed his YouTube stuff lol), while I love Crofty.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Mr5in1

adrianjordan wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 12:20
Mr5in1 wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 22:19
Can Sky not hire Danica permanently?
How is she any more of a small to medium enterprise than Naomi?
I didn't say that at all, I'd have them both permanently on Sky, and get rid of some of the other guys.

chrisc90

Wonder how much Mercedes paid Sky Sports this weekend for it to be the Hamilton/Mercedes/Russel show.

Talking to Andrea's and Crofty barges in shouting Lewis has just gone P2 2tenths off Max in P1.

Dont think there is any other teams running given the commentary.

JordanMugen

"How useless is sky sports f1?" Quite useless indeed.

Ben Edwards + John Watson for F1TV at Miami was a revelation by comparison! :)

Fer.Fan
Fer.Fan

JordanMugen wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 14:23

Sky are Quite useless indeed, they are Hamilton propaganda chanel. I'm tired of watching stupid interviews with hamilton and toto. #-o #-o

JordanMugen

Fer.Fan wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 15:40
JordanMugen wrote:

Sky are Quite useless indeed, they are Hamilton propaganda chanel. I'm tired of watching stupid interviews with hamilton and toto. #-o #-o
I can avoid that, but during the FP sessions they don't talk about what's happening on the track (but rather other unrelated stuff that could easily be covered in the event build-up) which is annoying, and the audio mix has the commentators too loud compared to the trackside sounds too.

It was pleasure to have Edwards and Watson talking about *what's actually happening on the circuit*!

Mogster

adrianjordan wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 12:21
Mogster wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 19:28
adrianjordan wrote:
25 Jun 2022, 19:42

Why can't she be? She almost certainly has more knowledge than the vast majority of armchair experts on forums. She has driven formula cars and she is able to talk to the drivers and mechanics.
As I said I have no problem with her filling the informed reporter role which is the role you’re describing.

Unfortunately Sky are using her as an SME alongside Davidson, di Resta, Hill, Button which it’s clear she isn’t, and it’s a bit embarrassing. There was a toe curling technical segment a couple of weekends ago with Schiff and di Resta being alternately asked questions by Lazenby and Schiff being given twice the air time talking a lot while and saying very little. No fan of di Resta usually but his face was priceless…
So let me get this right, Hill hasn't driven in F1 for 20ish years, Di Resta over 10 and Button 5 years, but they're fine as SME, but Naomi isn't??
Yes.

They have nearly 500 F1GP race starts between them, 2 are WDCs. Naomi has a handful of starts in F4 cars.

As I’ve said I have no problem with her being deployed in the informed reporter role just not being questioned about the finer points of driving F1 cars.

morefirejules08
morefirejules08

chrisc90 wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 13:42
Wonder how much Mercedes paid Sky Sports this weekend for it to be the Hamilton/Mercedes/Russel show.

Talking to Andrea's and Crofty barges in shouting Lewis has just gone P2 2tenths off Max in P1.

Yeah, who would have thought a British TV company with British presenters would get excited about British drivers at the British Grand Prix 🤦🏼‍♂️

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Fer.Fan wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:

Which is why they talk to Horner on the pit wall every 5 minutes, is it? And anything Horner says is taken at face value even if it's obviously guff.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Mandrake
Mandrake

F1tv Commentary in Silverstone was very enjoyable

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

morefirejules08 wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 17:22
chrisc90 wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 13:42

Yeah, who would have thought a British TV company with British presenters would get excited about British drivers at the British Grand Prix 🤦🏼‍♂️
I agree - as much as it might rub you up the wrong way, Chris, there is surely more of a casual fan wanting to know about Lewis and George as that is all they know and read about on the back pages of the papers.

Us more ..."geeky" fans - we demand all the coverage for all the teams!

Sky does a good job - it is often weighted to the UK drivers and UK teams for sure - but I reckon were I to watch some Italian TV then there would be significant Ferrari focus? Quite rightly too, as they have to cater for their casual fans too
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

astracrazy
astracrazy

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 17:26
Fer.Fan wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:

Which is why they talk to Horner on the pit wall every 5 minutes, is it? And anything Horner says is taken at face value even if it's obviously guff.
Sky have done the pitwall thing for years but it seems the Horner is the only TP that will now take part (more or less). I see it as more evidence the feature needs scrapping that some sort of chosen bias. I never rated it anyway.

Big Tea

astracrazy wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 13:42
Just_a_fan wrote:
Fer.Fan wrote:

Sky have done the pitwall thing for years but it seems the Horner is the only TP that will now take part (more or less). I see it as more evidence the feature needs scrapping that some sort of chosen bias. I never rated it anyway.
Do you think it is more Sky wanting to talk to the boss of the leading team? There was a time when Toto was on often and Otmar seemed to be on most weeks when his team was headline news, it is the obvious thing to do in my view. If you get the top man from the top team it is a headline?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

astracrazy wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 13:42
Just_a_fan wrote:
Fer.Fan wrote:

Horner does it because it enables him to put out his spin on stuff. Some of it's quite subtle but there often little digs at teams and drivers and the Sky mob just sit there and let him say it.

I agree that it should be scrapped. It doesn't bring any insights to the fans.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

I like the pitwall commentary. Too bad that Toto is busy in the garage smashing headphones and Binotto rarely says anything intersting.