How useless is sky sports f1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Tea

Re: How useless is sky sports f1

adrianjordan wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 18:39
I think Naiomi is still finding her feet, she'll come good. After all, she's a driver, not a media person, so she has a steep learning curve.

My biggest complaint about Sky F1 actually is just how long it takes for them to get the latest race available to stream afterwards.

I work shifts so aren't always able to watch live and I use NowTV because a) I can't have a dish on my property and b) it means I can stop paying money out during the off season so works out cheaper. But some Sundays I get home from work hours after the race finished and still can't even watch highlights on SkyF1 on demand.
Are you able to record off Now?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

adrianjordan

Big Tea wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 18:40
adrianjordan wrote:
I think Naiomi is still finding her feet, she'll come good. After all, she's a driver, not a media person, so she has a steep learning curve.

My biggest complaint about Sky F1 actually is just how long it takes for them to get the latest race available to stream afterwards.

I work shifts so aren't always able to watch live and I use NowTV because a) I can't have a dish on my property and b) it means I can stop paying money out during the off season so works out cheaper. But some Sundays I get home from work hours after the race finished and still can't even watch highlights on SkyF1 on demand.
Are you able to record off Now?
No. That would be too easy lol
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Mogster

adrianjordan wrote:
She’s an occasional driver of GT cars with a few F4 outings. I wouldn’t mind her being used in the same “reporter” role as Ted, Pinkham and Brookes. However Sky seem to be trying to push her into the SME role which is a bit of a stretch.

adrianjordan

Mogster wrote:
24 Jun 2022, 21:59
adrianjordan wrote:
She’s an occasional driver of GT cars with a few F4 outings. I wouldn’t mind her being used in the same “reporter” role as Ted, Pinkham and Brookes. However Sky seem to be trying to push her into the SME role which is a bit of a stretch.
Why can't she be? She almost certainly has more knowledge than the vast majority of armchair experts on forums. She has driven formula cars and she is able to talk to the drivers and mechanics.

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

McL-H

adrianjordan wrote:
25 Jun 2022, 19:42
Mogster wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:
Why can't she be? She almost certainly has more knowledge than the vast majority of armchair experts on forums. She has driven formula cars and she is able to talk to the drivers and mechanics.
Because if she were a white heterosexual male he would never be.

mclaren111

She's Terrible... :sick: :sick:
Last edited by mclaren111 on 29 Jun 2022, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.

adrianjordan

McL-H wrote:
26 Jun 2022, 11:56
adrianjordan wrote:
Mogster wrote:

Because if she were a white heterosexual male he would never be.
Careful your true colours are slipping.

Shakeman

I don't know how anyone manages to watch a whole race with the teenage girl screaming of Crofty going on? I find getting through the 5 to 10 mins of the Race highlights almost too much of a challenge. It's just so grating on the ears and if you've heard one Brundle commentary you've heard them all.

C4 had the best TV commentary team but I make a point of listening to the Radio when F1Elvis is commentating, always measured and knowledgeable and I liked Palmer's input for the same reasons which is sorely missed.

Whenever Rosberg is around he's very good value, he appears not to care if his questions are awkward which is how journalism should be instead of the arse kissing most pundits go in for.

Sky F1 is the last thing I'd pay good money to put myself through on a Sunday even if the racing was good, which it isn't.

astracrazy

Shakeman wrote:
28 Jun 2022, 12:11
I don't know how anyone manages to watch a whole race with the teenage girl screaming of Crofty going on
I watched the Canada race in Greece. I couldn't understand the commentators, but it was still better than Crofty.

aleks_ader

SiLo wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 01:13
Mr5in1 wrote:
31 May 2022, 23:08
SiLo wrote:
31 May 2022, 11:35

I have F1TV and prefer their feed which usually has Sam Collins, Ben Edwards, Jolyon Palmer etc. It's a different take and a bit more refreshing.

Plus is worlds cheaper than paying for Sky. Sky isn't bad, it's expensive.
But the pro version of F1TV is not available in the UK how quickly are races available on the non pro version?
No idea, I already pay for a VPN so I'm making extra use of it and paying for F1TVPro as well. £60 a year to watch all the F1 and F2, with all the other features is an absolute bargain.
Not to mention Sam Collins, Scarbs and Fabrega bits. Palmer is already legend really a bargain deal.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Mogster

adrianjordan wrote:
Mogster wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:
As I said I have no problem with her filling the informed reporter role which is the role you’re describing.

Unfortunately Sky are using her as an SME alongside Davidson, di Resta, Hill, Button which it’s clear she isn’t, and it’s a bit embarrassing. There was a toe curling technical segment a couple of weekends ago with Schiff and di Resta being alternately asked questions by Lazenby and Schiff being given twice the air time talking a lot while and saying very little. No fan of di Resta usually but his face was priceless…

Chuckjr

astracrazy wrote:
30 May 2022, 13:43
the EDGE wrote:
27 May 2022, 20:41
What annoys me the most is when Brundle tells the story of when Murray told him the key to successful commentary… basically… it doesn’t matter if you right… just make it exciting
I often feel Brundle does this far too much. I fail to believe he is unaware of the mistakes Crofty makes yet he seems happy enough to let him go along with it.
silver wrote:
27 May 2022, 20:29
It's good that they have people like Nico in the team that quickly burst a faan Boi bubble the likes of Simon lazenby or Natalie try to create. Brundle does that with lesser authority. Can't they just fire Crofty, Simon, Natalie, Johnny, Karun et Al? Simply have Rachel, Naomi, Anthony, DiResta, Brundle, Button and Nico. Buxton and Barretto are another bunch of buffoons on F1TV.
You lost me a Naomi. This is an F1 program, so why you would get rid of someone with F1 experience like Karun for someone who hasn't come close on the analysis panel is beyond me. It is too obvious she is out of her depth and is often carried too much to bring any insight - which is her job.
Exactly. 100%. She’s a terrible addition for the exact reasons you name. The sport is over her head — she knows it and everyone can see it. Crofty is also terrible. The horse race screaming just needs to stop. It brings the race down a notch. I often just mute the starts.

It’s hard to take the coverage seriously with blatant and obvious oversights like those two.

Sky HR needs to try harder in the relevancy dept. Brundle needs to be replaced. I consider Herbert nothing more than comic relief.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Mr5in1

Can Sky not hire Danica permanently?

adrianjordan

Mr5in1 wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 22:19
Can Sky not hire Danica permanently?
How is she any more of a small to medium enterprise than Naomi?

adrianjordan

Mogster wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 19:28
adrianjordan wrote:
Mogster wrote:

As I said I have no problem with her filling the informed reporter role which is the role you’re describing.

Unfortunately Sky are using her as an SME alongside Davidson, di Resta, Hill, Button which it’s clear she isn’t, and it’s a bit embarrassing. There was a toe curling technical segment a couple of weekends ago with Schiff and di Resta being alternately asked questions by Lazenby and Schiff being given twice the air time talking a lot while and saying very little. No fan of di Resta usually but his face was priceless…
So let me get this right, Hill hasn't driven in F1 for 20ish years, Di Resta over 10 and Button 5 years, but they're fine as SME, but Naomi isn't??