Do you view Formula 1 associated products more favourably?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JordanMugen

Do you view Formula 1 associated products more favourably?

As the title says: Do you view Formula 1 sponsor or Formula 1 associated products more favourably? Thoughts?

Car brands IMO, Ferrari's association with Formula One, building the road cars and race cars at the same factory, having the test track around Enzo's house right next to the factory, and so forth IMO does increase the perception of Ferrari as being a brand that rises over and above rival exotic sportscar makers like Lamborghini in my book. McLaren and Aston Martin are trying to do the same thing with a similar Formula One connection and fair play to them for that. =D>

IMO Honda's association with Senna McLarens did improve my perception of them. As a teenager being ferried by car pool to school in a 1990 Honda Accord, a car that is rather low slung for a sedan, you did like to imagine it as somehow connected to the golden era of McLaren-Honda and it did produce a favourable association even though I didn't buy any Honda road cars until much later. At that time Honda were racing with Jordan and BAR and that did produce a favourable association.

For me, Renault Sport being in F1 did produce a favourable association too, particularly with the Clio RS and Megane RS (with the striking posterior) featuring so heavily and being praised in motor magazines and I did eventually pick up a Renault Sport product some time later. :)

Car parts I definitely view Mahle products (seals, thermostats etc) more favourably when ordering due to their brand appearing on the nosecone of Ferrari Grand Prix cars. As someone new to European cars (the Renault) I honestly had never even heard of other European part suppliers like Valeo or Corteco before, so if they had been more prominent in F1 that wouldn't have been the case.

I guess I do view Denso parts favourably, due to the prominent way Denso signage appears on most official Toyota racing cars including in Formula One.

Tools I definitely view Beta tools more favourably because of their association with Formula One (& MotoGP) and their all-round Italian-ness! :)

Fuel & Oil I have to say I do view Mobil fuel & oil products more favourably because of their association with Red Bull Racing and likewise Shell products favourably due to their association with Scuderia Ferrari. Here in Australia, we have the local fuel brand Ampol (a former distributor of Caltex/Texaco products) and I do view them less favourably as they are not associated with Formula 1.

Tyres I probably view the Pirelli P Zero, Bridgestone Potenza, Michelin and particularly Goodyear Eagle F1 lines more favourably because of these brands association with Formula One. I don't think the P Zero would seem quite so iconic without the constant bombardment of branding at every Grand Prix! Myself I have fitted Potenza tyres though, as I am worried about P Zeros (and most European tyres) having soft sidewalls compared to Japanese tastes, though I have been pleased with Eagle F1 tyres in the past (though that was in 18", apparently 17" & less Eagle F1 asymmetric have much softer sidewalls -- 6mm thick compared to 10mm thick on a 17" Bridgestone Potenza?!). [I'm guessing Goodyear license ongoing use of that brand name from Formula One Management somehow, without Pirelli protesting? :?: Though strangely the Goodyear tyres used in F1 themselves only said Goodyear Eagle on them AFAIK, just like other Goodyear racing tyres elsewhere.]

Conti SportContact tyres are probably just as good as (or better, the SportContact 7 is certainly considered the best UHP road tyre at the moment) than those other brands, but it does seem rather strange that AFAIK Continental have never competed in Formula One despite being a premium German brand. :?: :wtf:

Coffee Lavazza is probably good coffee anyway, but the association with Formula One through the Latifi family and Williams F1 is certainly something I view favourably. :)

Energy drinks Just no, they are disgusting. That Red Bull, Monster, Rich Energy (!) etc sponsor F1 is irrelevant. :lol:

Beer Without F1 advertising I probably wouldn't have heard of Peroni 0.0, Estrella Galicia 0.0 or Heineken 0.0, but I still don't like lager! :lol: Bud advertising with Williams in the early 00's didn't seem to further their European market share all that much! :wtf:

Technology I have to say that I still do not like Microsoft products anyway regardless of them sponsoring Lotus/Renault/Alpine racing, and I already liked Google products even before they started sponsoring McLaren this year! :lol:

Consumer electronics I would say, that yes the sponsorship of Toyota F1 did subliminally improve my (already high) perception of Panasonic products (though using their products and their products being good did more).

I would say that yes Canon's sponsorship of Williams-Renault did indeed improve my perception of Canon. Indeed, as a small child while I was aware of Canon thanks to it being on the Williams on the cover of Nigel Mansell Grand Prix for Super Nintendo, I probably had never heard of arch-rival Nikon to be honest.

Having had Canon fax machines in the past, as well as the "high tech" Williams association, probably did feed into my decision to get a Canon DSLR camera over and above a Nikon one. :)

I would say that the Epson and later Nokia sponsorship on Tyrrell's of the 90's is also rather iconic!

Mystery sponsors If I knew what Sofina sell I might view them favourably, also what on Earth does long time Monaco GP sponsor Zepter sell? I remember that trackside advertising in the game Grand Prix 3.

Gambling, crypto & other dodgy sponsors I probably view these brands (Pokerstars, Crypto.com, Bybit, Oneworld etc) EVEN LESS favourably than if they were not F1 sponsors! Why does F1 attract such dodgy sponsors?

Big Tea

Re: Do you view Formula 1 associated products more favourably?

Sorry to be blunt, but no.

I did buy a Candy product one time because I had seen the name on a Tyrrell, but I had no experience with the other brands there
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Short answer: no.

Long answer: I buy some things based on recommendations from friends / family or from just deciding to try it for a change. If I like the thing e.g. coffee, then I'll continue to buy it. For things such as tyres, electronic goods, etc., I will look at as many reviews from as many sources as I can to try to form a shortlist and then go from there. We've heard people in this forum state they'd never buy Pirelli tyres because they're obviously rubbish - which is just silly. I have bought Pirelli tyres because they've been a decent option for the vehicle I'm fitting them to. But I've bought from other brands too e.g. General, Goodyear, Michelin, etc., if they meet my needs following research. Fuel is bought on the basis of convenience and need at the moment as well as on price - if I know a garage is noticeably cheaper 2 miles away and I'm doing a big fill then I'll divert to that place, otherwise if the car needs fuel it gets filled. Oil is whatever my regular garage supplies and fills the sump with at service time. If I need a top up bottle, it'll be based on whether it meets the engine manufacturer's specification and then on price. I doubt Mobil or Castrol of the same specification is better or worse just because one is "reassuringly more expensive".

Here's a thing that might not go well with the advertisers - I don't really know who sponsors which team as I don't read the logos. Sure, the major ones such as Petronas on the Merc, Red Bull on the Red Bull, because the logos are so big, but the none-title sponsors? No idea. Likewise trackside adverts. It's easy to train yourself to ignore the background rubbish that is most advertising.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

This is somewhat related to your questions, but on the tyres front, Pirelli bringing in 18 inch wheels to make it more road relevant seems so funny to me. Its as if they think people will see 13 inch Pirellis on F1 cars and and think 'But could they make good 18 inch tyres for my car'. I probably wouldn't buy Pirelli tyres purely because they make them for F1, but I'm sure people who don't care too much about what tyres they have and don't do much research would be more swayed to Pirelli if they watch F1

mzivtins
mzivtins

I own a McLaren specifically because it is a McLaren and i have always been a McLaren fan. Having a road car with a carbon chassis just feels so special and very f1 inspired.

For everything else; Tyres, drive electronics, ignition systems etc etc are more closely related other areas of motorsport like GT3/GTE as that has way more real world relevance and much better racing than F1.

For example, i would buy a fully featured PDM/ECU than just go for a closed off Bosch or f1 derived bit of kit that you have zero chance of ever using yourself. Those companies arent really relative to the punter like me.... and who doesnt want to add launch control to manual cars? lol

marvin78
marvin78

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 17:55
This is somewhat related to your questions, but on the tyres front, Pirelli bringing in 18 inch wheels to make it more road relevant seems so funny to me. Its as if they think people will see 13 inch Pirellis on F1 cars and and think 'But could they make good 18 inch tyres for my car'. I probably wouldn't buy Pirelli tyres purely because they make them for F1, but I'm sure people who don't care too much about what tyres they have and don't do much research would be more swayed to Pirelli if they watch F1
Giving the issue how bad the raintyres are, I would never drive Pirelli, if I would choose by "what is in F1?". ;)

In fact my summer tyres on the car are Pirelli (it came with them) and they are not bad. But I did not even connect this with F1 until now.

kalinka
kalinka

No. Funny enough, I think the usual 18-30 years old target audience is the less probable to convince with these adverts. I would by some F1-related brands back in the day when I was under 18, but then I didn't have the money for it. Now as I'm older (40+) I'm more willing to spend money, but not on the advertised brands, more likely for merchandise. I praise some brands more because F1 involvement, but it's just a perception thing - not enough to bend my decision when buying something.

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

No. In fact I find the first post craven. If Mr Mobil's marketing guys want to sponsor someone, great. So, f-ing, what. The reason company A sponsors event B is so that when event C comes along company D will invite company A's marketing people to the event C, company A having invited D to B. Fact.

JordanMugen

Greg Locock wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 14:26
If Mr Mobil's marketing guys want to sponsor someone, great. So, f-ing, what. The reason company A sponsors event B is so that when event C comes along company D will invite company A's marketing people to the event C, company A having invited D to B. Fact.
Mobil's engineering guys still did the actual development of the fuel in conjunction with Honda's engineering guys, no? :wtf:

Perhaps it is all about Business-to-Business and there is absolutely ZERO motor racing passion in a Ferrari, Honda Type R or Toyota Gazoo Racing model and they only own Mugello, Suzuka and Fuji respectively as tax write-offs and Toyota only races at Le Mans for B2B. :shock:

Maybe you are right and Enzo Ferrari and Soichiro Honda only ever went motor racing for business-to-business marketing opportunities in the hospitality tents (did they even have hospitality tents in the 1930's?), and they thought the engineering and competition side of it was what waste of time and space. Oh well. :|

Ferrari foundry workers perhaps feel indifference (or derision even) and not pride when passing the pitstop practice area on the way to the road car engine casting area in that case? :?:

By extension, it seems: You are implying the Ford Australia Special Vehicles skunkworks of the 1960's had no motor racing passion, they dourly built and tinkered with cars for series production and sports sedan racing with a glum face as it was really all about business-to-business marketing opportunities trackside, definitely not because they liked motor racing and definitely not because they wanted to sell Fords? So it is utterly craven for any Falcon GT driver to link their vehicle to success Bathurst? :shock:

JordanMugen

Ohh... I realised I forgot to mention wheels!

My car has had forged wheels from BBS Japan fitted for a long time and they are coincidentally the control wheel supplier for F1 in 2022 and, strangely, a somewhat independent company from BBS Germany.

I wouldn't say there was any purchasing influence, however there was a definitely a purchasing influencing in picking up two sets of Speedline wheels for my 90's WRX. They were Speedline's rally replicas that were modelled off the designs used on the Prodrive Subaru Group A and WRCars. The Speedlines just have that cool 90's period correct look which set the WRX off nicely... And they did seem to genuinely be heavy-duty and suitable for tarmac rally use, albeit in Group N (quite the opposite to your typical lightweight circuit racing type wheels!). :)

I'm guessing it's "craven" if WRX STi, Lancia Delta Integrale, Lancer Evolution etc etc drivers think their vehicle has anything to do with the respective Group A rally car mind you. :lol: :wink: These car manufacturers only participated in WRC for business-to-business networking one presumes? :?:

theriusDR3 wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 11:49
The infographic of F1 2020 season wheel rim manufacturers

Only four (4) wheel rim brands that currently involved in Formula One 2020 season (O.Z. Racing, Enkei, BBS and AppTech). O.Z. Racing supplying seven (7) teams in Formula One 2020 season. While Enkei still has a long-standing partnership with MCLAREN team since 1995 season. Williams partnered with AppTech since 2016 season after nine (9) years partnered with RAYS.
If not for their F1 (or rally or other racing) involvement, would car enthusiasts really have heard of BBS, Enkei, OZ, Rays, Speedline et al.?

Greg Locock wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 14:26
No. In fact I find the first post craven. If Mr Mobil's marketing guys want to sponsor someone, great. So, f-ing, what. The reason company A sponsors event B is so that when event C comes along company D will invite company A's marketing people to the event C, company A having invited D to B. Fact.
Are wheel suppliers also only in F1 for business-to-business marketing in the hospitality tents [luxury motorhomes in the case of F1]? There are no technical benefits (R&D processes) and no end-user advertising benefits to promote actual end-user products (or even simple revenue selling BBS racing wheels to F1 & NASCAR themselves as well as associated categories)?! :?:

Besides, even with their F1 involvement supplying Toro Rosso, Apptech wheels are still relatively obscure. Did Apptech get big deals done on Grand Prix weekends, and that was their only reason for involvement, not Italian racing passion nor advertising their products? If so, Taiwanese wheel maker Superalloy seems to get the contracts for making forged wheels for various exotic sportscars despite no obvious racing programs, so F1 B2B didn't seem to work that well for Apptech!
Last edited by JordanMugen on 27 Jul 2022, 18:04, edited 4 times in total.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

JordanMugen wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 17:45
Ohh... I realised I forgot to mention wheels!

My car has had forged wheels from BBS Japan fitted for a long time and they are coincidentally the control wheel supplier for F1 in 2022 and, strangely, a somewhat independent company from BBS Germany.
My Mk 4 Golf came with split rim BBS alloys. I just thought they were an overly flashy thing for a road car wheel, especially one on a Golf. I wouldn't have ordered them myself.

As for why these various companies sponsor F1, it's because it gives them a bit of glamour and "high end" feel. And that means they can charge more for the same product because they're selling it to people who believe that X used in F1 must mean Y used on the road is equally as special. I can go to my local motor factor and buy a Mobil 1 or a Petronas oil for my road car and pay several pounds more than a normal oil that meets the same manufacturers' standards. That extra money is purely down to the label - the oil will do the same job. Sure, if one is running a high performance engine, then a special oil might be worth the cost, but for a standard road car designed to be used by the masses and serviced by idiots when the owner remembers to book it in, special oil is a waste of money.
Last edited by Just_a_fan on 27 Jul 2022, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

No, but it's been my experience that it is easier to turn someone onto F1 if they have recognizable brands. My friend goes through 3 S-class Mercedes each year. It was easy to make him a fan during the 2014-2020 dominance.

mzivtins
mzivtins

JordanMugen wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 17:45

If not for their F1 (or rally or other racing) involvement, would car enthusiasts really have heard of BBS, Enkei, OZ, Rays, Speedline et al.?
Absolutely. The proof is Rays engineering Volk racing wheels, the absolute pinnacle of wheel technology and design, there is no manufacturer out there that comes close to Rays on performance. They have a lot more to do with endurance racing these days and only ever appeared in F1 for a very short amount of time.

O.Z are fantastic but do lack that strength to weight ratio that Rays wheels are dominant at.

mzivtins
mzivtins

Zynerji wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 18:02
No, but it's been my experience that it is easier to turn someone onto F1 if they have recognizable brands. My friend goes through 3 S-class Mercedes each year. It was easy to make him a fan during the 2014-2020 dominance.
Does you friend work for a vehicle company that circulated new cars amongst its execs? Or is this a FOMO with German brand cars where they are throw-away fashion items used for driving finance?

Zynerji

mzivtins wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 10:18
Zynerji wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 18:02
Does you friend work for a vehicle company that circulated new cars amongst its execs? Or is this a FOMO with German brand cars where they are throw-away fashion items used for driving finance?
He's a business owner on the Gulf coast of Alabama.

He's also of the type that likes to say that he trades them in when they need an oil change.

He's actually moved to a G Wagon and Bently GT now🙄