Ferrari 675 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
matteosc
matteosc

Re: Ferrari 675 Speculation Thread

ryaan2904 wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 04:42
deadhead wrote:
29 Jan 2023, 20:19
ryaan2904 wrote:
29 Jan 2023, 15:10

Can't say anything about the accuracy of chrono gp's animations, but they are right about one thing: the new floor will cause more air infiltration from the sides. The only way teams have handled that is via either vortex creation or downwashing bodywork. With the rules prohibiting sharp edges to generate outwash, the downwashing bodywork remains the only option. So there is a chance that ferrari might go the RB18 route.

If it happens, ferrari will already start the season with a disadvantage to RB since they've had an year's worth of extra experience with it.
Can the edge of the floor, dare I say, bend and help with the seal? Those long stakes Mercedes were running last year can be adjusted to let the edge of the floor get closer to the track..
Even if it does, and it most likely will, overall the rule change would still cost you low speed downforce. Bending bodywork happens only at high speeds mostly.
The new rules prescribe way more stringent tests, so it will likely bend less than last year, when the edge flexibility was already exploited. Moreover, as mentioned above, the edge flex was not always a good thing, as it helps sealing the floor mainly at high speeds, contributing to porpoising issues.
For sealing the floor and avoiding porpoising at the same time they will in my opinion use combinations of (1) outwash generated by floor fences and air extracted laterally mid-car, (2) sidepodes shape, (3) vortex generation from floor edges and (4) bending floor edges.

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

matteosc wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 17:02
ryaan2904 wrote:
deadhead wrote:
29 Jan 2023, 20:19

Can the edge of the floor, dare I say, bend and help with the seal? Those long stakes Mercedes were running last year can be adjusted to let the edge of the floor get closer to the track..
Even if it does, and it most likely will, overall the rule change would still cost you low speed downforce. Bending bodywork happens only at high speeds mostly.
The new rules prescribe way more stringent tests, so it will likely bend less than last year, when the edge flexibility was already exploited. Moreover, as mentioned above, the edge flex was not always a good thing, as it helps sealing the floor mainly at high speeds, contributing to porpoising issues.
For sealing the floor and avoiding porpoising at the same time they will in my opinion use combinations of (1) outwash generated by floor fences and air extracted laterally mid-car, (2) sidepodes shape, (3) vortex generation from floor edges and (4) bending floor edges.
Yes. Add in fw endplate there too, but it wont really have that much of an effect. RB has shown this much is enough for a good car. I am hoping ferrari has something smart going on for their design too.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

F1NAC

Launch is on 14th February at 11:25 AM CET

matteosc
matteosc

ryaan2904 wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 05:06
matteosc wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 17:02
ryaan2904 wrote:

Yes. Add in fw endplate there too, but it wont really have that much of an effect. RB has shown this much is enough for a good car. I am hoping ferrari has something smart going on for their design too.
True, fw endplates help too. It is interesting to see which tool the different team relied the most on last year. RB used a lot the floor fences, Ferrari used "mostly" the sidepode shapes, Mercedes focused on the fw endplates and on the shape of their "mirror supports".

I wonder if this year one tool will become more effective and if all team will converge on that; I think we still have several years of deep differentiation.

As for Ferrari, I think they will keep using the sidepodes, maybe tuning the undercut at the beginning of the sidepodes for a more effective and efficient outwash. I would expect them to integrate the lower impact structure into the floor, as done by RB and others. Its position in last year's car seemed to limit them a lot in terms of geometry of the area.

Vanja #66

Another rumour https://scuderiafans.com/further-encour ... less-drag/

675 Vs F1-75:

+2% downforce
-3% drag

Strangely specific numbers, not impossible, very achievable. Sounds like it would align with moderate speculation of 0.5s per lap advantage vs F1-75. It still contradicts what Andi mentioned regarding contracts and absolute respect for confidentiality...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Sevach
Sevach

Vanja #66 wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 18:33
Another rumour https://scuderiafans.com/further-encour ... less-drag/

675 Vs F1-75:

+2% downforce
-3% drag

Strangely specific numbers, not impossible, very achievable. Sounds like it would align with moderate speculation of 0.5s per lap advantage vs F1-75. It still contradicts what Andi mentioned regarding contracts and absolute respect for confidentiality...
The way they talk the team has recovered the losses the 23 regs bring and added 2% on top of it.
Let's wait and see...

gordonthegun

So... here it seems that Ferrari itself with a a photo on Instagram has revealed a great detail of its 2023 F1 car:

Vanja #66

Someone made an analysis, its 2022 car, just the angle and lens make the apperance of a bigger shark fin. Bottom part of 16 bends in the same place on f1-75
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

gordonthegun

Vanja #66 wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 20:42
Someone made an analysis, its 2022 car, just the angle and lens make the apperance of a bigger shark fin. Bottom part of 16 bends in the same place on f1-75
The angle formed by the edge of the fin with the profile of the engine cover is clearly wider than all the ones we can find all along the fin of the F1-75.

Can the perspective and the lens change that?
Provided that the photo is of the new car and not a fake.

continuum16

gordonthegun wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 21:22
Vanja #66 wrote:
The angle formed by the edge of the fin with the profile of the engine cover is clearly wider than all the ones we can find all along the fin of the F1-75.

I’m not a photo expert but I would say yes, the angle of the photo significantly warps the look of the shark fin in this case. Plus, why would Ferrari already be applying stickers to the car now? The launch isn’t for two weeks, I’d suspect it will be at least 10 days before they bust out the stickers. Plus, it’s the original (non-outlined) number font from 2022. Not the strongest argument point, but I don’t see why they would go back to not using the outlined versions anyways; they were hard to read.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

gordonthegun

continuum16 wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 23:54
gordonthegun wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 21:22
Vanja #66 wrote:

I’m not a photo expert but I would say yes, the angle of the photo significantly warps the look of the shark fin in this case. Plus, why would Ferrari already be applying stickers to the car now? The launch isn’t for two weeks, I’d suspect it will be at least 10 days before they bust out the stickers. Plus, it’s the original (non-outlined) number font from 2022. Not the strongest argument point, but I don’t see why they would go back to not using the outlined versions anyways; they were hard to read.
I don't think that is a photo taken during the actual stickering.

I think the photo is a way to intrigue people by revealing a detail in an artfully created realistic situation such as the stickering.

We could call it "a communication trick".

aleks_ader

Hmm. From 2019 onwards when Ferrari introduced slim airbox design and relatively slim coke bottle design on top of gearbox bell.

They really prefer:
-triangular airbox and horns (model later tho)
-no cannon hot air exists
-biggest shark fins as legally possible -> trends all from sf70

Clearly footprint or preferences of Ferrari designers is visible. As it shows continuity in sense of technical people. And PU integration. So KUDOS in that sense.

But now with GF cars. Is there really soo much too gain in order to improve BW and RW centreline performance?
Especially now when BW could offset RW performance and reattachments issues etc.

Eventually i m hypothetically asking myself. Is bathtub and shrink wrapping down washing airbox right compromise?

Too me, rumours with cannon exits negate or contradict compromises and design team language set in last years.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Goblin42

as Vanja said perspective is a factor

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

It's also confusing because the #1 has different positions in '22

gordonthegun

Goblin42 wrote:
02 Feb 2023, 20:36
as Vanja said perspective is a factor

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fn-remsXgAI ... =4096x4096
Perspective changes the height of the fin, but (maybe) not the angle formed by the edge of the fin with the profile of the engine cover.
In the photo, that angle is wider than any other on the F1-75 in the same context.

Anyway, the photo might be a fake, so let's not consider it too seriously.