2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Otromundo

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Hello. I think many are hungover after the tide. To some extent it is normal.

Helmut Marko has delighted us with his pleasant and traditional phrases. It is also normal given the circumstances and his sour character. But I think that everything will remain in a tantrum.

There are people who speculate with the true intentions of Mr. Stroll and the added risk of the character generally attributed to Fernando. That everything will be fine until Lance begins to perhaps overwhelm Fernando. Team orders and other traditional tricks in F1. To a large extent I also believe that it is normal, after the high with the result now come the certain or intangible concerns.

There are 11 days left for the next race and even less if we take into account the training sessions. It is also normal that we are all boiling.

The Jeddah circuit will favor some teams more than others. We will not know until it happens as is also normal.

But things don't look bad. The team is second!, Fernando is third!, Lance still convalescing is sixth!, the technical staff is hyper-motivated and I think Mr. Stroll will be in the clouds. The same as the company's price on the stock market or perhaps even more.

So... the car looks great and also has great potential for further improvement. Mr. Stroll doesn't mess around, he knows how to get things done. The technical team has done a great job with very little time. Fernando has returned to the podium and Lance has steel balls. I am very happy and I have great confidence in the future because the present is almost unbeatable. The fact that Mr. Marko spat out a bit of poison is also amusing to me, thus confirming that all is well in AM.

Bad, normal, good and great days will come. But I think the main thing is already done. Fernando is not in an amateur team, finally. It seems that everyone is clear about what they want. And it also seems that they are trained to -at least- try. Only the latter taking into account the situation experienced in Alpine last season... and the gloomy omens for the future with Fernando's age and etc... is pure glory. Let's enjoy it.

Sorry for the length of this thread. I learn many interesting things with your contributions. The level is magnificent. But I had to say it the way I see it.
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

diffuser

Venturiation wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 18:01
dan fallows made the RB18 and project of RB19 so he knows every detail

redbull are angry because he knows the tricks that makes them fast

never there was a car that jumped from 7th on the gris to 2nd in just 6 months

redbull lost him and aston martin have a real advantage now
but how long will it take for other teams to learn what fallows is doing?
He was on gardening leave or at AMR before RBR started working on RB19.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 07:03
Venturiation wrote:

New rules were intended for 2021. RB18 will have been conceptualized in 2020, when Fallows was still at RBR.

Regardless I don't understand the frenzy. Tech transfer happens all the time when employees move from team to team.

James Allison moved from Ferrari to Mercedes. Newey moved from Mclaren to Red bull. The list goes on.

avantman
avantman

The Prodigy wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 13:06

Well, why then even hire one of the best drivers of all time? Why not hire someone like Latifi?
Here is why:
“Vettel was only signed to make Lance Stroll look better. Mr Stroll wants to make his son a World Champion,” Kolles said, via Express.de.
David Coulthard echoes the sentiment behind Kolles’ opinion, adding: “I wonder if a brand is to be built up. Not Aston Martin, but Lance Stroll. If he beats Vettel, then that justifies why he should be a future World Champion.”

So, I've to admit, I liked Seb a lot, and I was mad at those guys for saying such things, I thought they were completely crazy to assume that. But now, I actually agree with everything they said. I saw quite clear patterns, especially last year in that team, when Vettel's races were compromised on strategy massively in order to put Lance ahead of him in the race.
and then we hear all these kind of things from the TP:
Mike Krack says that Lance Stroll was "closely matched" with Sebastian Vettel at Aston Martin.
He expects the Canadian to hold his own against Alonso.

"When Sebastian joined the team, people were saying Lance had no chance, but Lance has performed incredibly well against a four-time World Champion - they've been closely matched.

"People are saying the same thing now that Fernando [Alonso] is joining the team, but let's wait and see.

"Lance might just surprise a few people."

It becomes even more clear what task he was given .
The Prodigy wrote:
Like I said: As long as Alonso is faster on track there will be no problems. But Lance is not that bad and we will see situations where he will be in front of Alonso.
I hate to admit, but I'm afraid there will be problems, when Fernando realizes it's not exactly level playing field, as he might have thought when he signed. On the other hand, he is extremely smart, likely he knows and accepts the situation already and it will be all relatively fine without any major fireworks.

F1NAC

Does Aston Martin still use tecnique from last year of scrubbing tyres? Or because of a good car prefromance they don't need to do that anymore?

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 07:14
diffuser wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 07:03
Venturiation wrote:

New rules were intended for 2021. RB18 will have been conceptualized in 2020, when Fallows was still at RBR.

Regardless I don't understand the frenzy. Tech transfer happens all the time when employees move from team to team.

James Allison moved from Ferrari to Mercedes. Newey moved from Mclaren to Red bull. The list goes on.
Notice, I only mentioned this year's RB (RB19). Fallows couldn't have been involved in both this year's RB and AMR.

mendis
mendis

Venturiation wrote:

Dan Fallows was out of F1 program at RB before RB18 work started. That's why he chose to move out of RB.

avantman
avantman

F1NAC wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 09:51
Does Aston Martin still use tecnique from last year of scrubbing tyres? Or because of a good car prefromance they don't need to do that anymore?
Was not the case in Bahrain. Both sets of hards for both drivers were brand new.

diffuser

mendis wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 10:05
Venturiation wrote:

Dan Fallows was out of F1 program at RB before RB18 work started. That's why he chose to move out of RB.
i

Fallows Gardening leave started in Nov of 2021. Because of the amount of work needed for the change in regs, work would have started early in 2021.

FW17

diffuser wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 11:28
mendis wrote:
Venturiation wrote:

i

Fallows Gardening leave started in Nov of 2021. Because of the amount of work needed for the change in regs, work would have started early in 2021.
Dan made announcement that he would leave Red Bull in June 2021
Wanted to join Aston for January 2022
Red Bull said no and moved him to the road car division
As per Red Bull he had contract till end of year before he can serve a gardening leave, so can join Aston only in July 2022
Dan quits August 21
Both go to court but settle (guess Lawrence was to forced to fork out)
They agree that he can join Aston in April 2022

Alo_Fan

FW17 wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 12:49
diffuser wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 11:28
mendis wrote:
i

Dan made announcement that he would leave Red Bull in June 2021
Wanted to join Aston for January 2022
Red Bull said no and moved him to the road car division
As per Red Bull he had contract till end of year before he can serve a gardening leave, so can join Aston only in July 2022
Dan quits August 21
Both go to court but settle (guess Lawrence was to forced to fork out)
They agree that he can join Aston in April 2022
Thanks for the full summary. Now it all makes sense, I just remember him joining Aston last summer but didn't realise he had a long gardening leave.

Chanman141
Chanman141

Long gardening leave = extremely valuable knowledge 🤓

peewon

avantman wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 09:26
The Prodigy wrote:

Well, why then even hire one of the best drivers of all time? Why not hire someone like Latifi?
Here is why:
“Vettel was only signed to make Lance Stroll look better. Mr Stroll wants to make his son a World Champion,” Kolles said, via Express.de.
David Coulthard echoes the sentiment behind Kolles’ opinion, adding: “I wonder if a brand is to be built up. Not Aston Martin, but Lance Stroll. If he beats Vettel, then that justifies why he should be a future World Champion.”

So, I've to admit, I liked Seb a lot, and I was mad at those guys for saying such things, I thought they were completely crazy to assume that. But now, I actually agree with everything they said. I saw quite clear patterns, especially last year in that team, when Vettel's races were compromised on strategy massively in order to put Lance ahead of him in the race.
and then we hear all these kind of things from the TP:
Mike Krack says that Lance Stroll was "closely matched" with Sebastian Vettel at Aston Martin.
He expects the Canadian to hold his own against Alonso.

"When Sebastian joined the team, people were saying Lance had no chance, but Lance has performed incredibly well against a four-time World Champion - they've been closely matched.

"People are saying the same thing now that Fernando [Alonso] is joining the team, but let's wait and see.

"Lance might just surprise a few people."

It becomes even more clear what task he was given .
The Prodigy wrote:
Like I said: As long as Alonso is faster on track there will be no problems. But Lance is not that bad and we will see situations where he will be in front of Alonso.
I hate to admit, but I'm afraid there will be problems, when Fernando realizes it's not exactly level playing field, as he might have thought when he signed. On the other hand, he is extremely smart, likely he knows and accepts the situation already and it will be all relatively fine without any major fireworks.
They completely sabotaged Vettel in his farewell race, for nothing meaningful except to make Lance look better. I had just assumed incompetence in strategy but after reading about the F2 stuff, I realized how extreme the pettiness can get. The plan probably is to get world class drivers to help develop the car to a dominant level and from there use team orders to get Lance to a championship. Same MO as F3.

Venturiation
Venturiation

mendis wrote:
Venturiation wrote:

the car was made by him
that car was almost finished in 2021

Henk_v
Henk_v

As long as there is no championship in play, Alonso can move AMR up the ladder in CWC, which is good for the wallet. Alonso is not stupid. He will know full well what his role to play is when a DWC opportunity is in the cards.