French GP 2008

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

French GP 2008

Circuit de Nevers Magny Cours
ImageImage linked from Wikipedia.

Length : 4.4 km

Profile :
Number of Laps: 70
Race Distance: 308.586 km
Lap Record: 1:15.377 - M Schumacher (2004)
--------------------------------------------------

Past winners on the current grid include the two WC's Kimi Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso, along with race winner David Coulthard, who gave McLaren their one and only win at this french circuit.

And according to many reports this will be the last Formula One race held at this circuit before making its move onto another more attractive venue within France.

With a total of seven points seperating the top four drivers up until now; R.Kubica 42, L.Hamilton, 38, F.Massa 38, and K.Raikkonen 35, this weekend promises to offer even more entertainment and another mixture of the champtionship standings. And not to forget, Ferrari hold the top spot with 73 points, BMW-Sauber with 70 points, and McLaren with 53 points. So any little slip-up from Ferrari and BMW-Sauber could take the CC lead as well.

As for race favorites for many, Ferrari hold that spot, but both McLaren and BMW-Sauber pose a great as always.

Tires for this GP are the 'soft' and 'medium' compounds.

An interesting note from last years race was that the Ferrari's of Raikkonen and Massa finished 30+seconds in front of third place finisher Hamilton, with Kubica another 10 seconds back.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

f1italia

Re: French GP 2008

I think Hamilton will win it. He was good last year and he has a great car to win it.

Scotracer
Scotracer

f1italia wrote:I think Hamilton will win it. He was good last year and he has a great car to win it.
Starting at best 11th, I cannot see how that would be possible with such a closely matched mid-field only further holding him up. Also, Magny-Cours is pretty hard to pass on (only Adelaide and Lycée being real passing places) so I can't see him getting on the podium.

My prediction:

Massa
Kubica
Raikkonen
Heidfeld
Kovalainen
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

donskar
donskar

OK, I am a Ferrari fanatic, and I did spend about 20 years in Marketing/PR, but . . . these quotes from the press conference say a lot about two very good drivers. One comes across as reasonably intelligent and matuer; the other as nearly illiterate:

"I don't do it for the money," said Kimi. "But I am happy with I get (paid) and I think we should get something in recognition for the fact we are doing a dangerous job. In the end, we get paid what people are prepared to pay."

Lewis Hamilton: “A number plate's a number plate. It doesn't mean nothing to me.”
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Oh snap, Lewis walking out of a Ferrari hospitality unit with Kimi. I wonder if Ron Dennis made him stand in a corner and think about what he did wrong after he learnt about this event, since Lewis broke McLaren's ethical rules :roll: . Notice the 'I know I did something wrong but I'll put on my sunglasses and pretend it's alright' look on his face, and Kimi is probably turning around to tell him it's alright and that they did nothing wrong :lol: .

Lewis better not have a pasta stain on his squeeky clean shirt...
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

scarbs
scarbs

Not many developments expected.

Toyota - finned front wheel fairings
Mac - cockpit fins

scarbs
scarbs

Oh and Williams Side imapact Sails (as they call them). New pod wings joined to the bargeboards, as seen in testing

WhiteBlue

Hamilton ploughs through the gravel trap and breaks a front wing.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

donskar
donskar

Early days, I know, but here's my prediction for the race and the WDC:

IF Massa wins in France, he will win the championship and Kimi will retire, allowing Alonso to join the team next year. :shock:

donskar
donskar

Hmmmm . . . Alonso fastest in session 2. Maybe Renault can get back into this thing before much longer. And a Toro Rosso doing well.

I know, too soon to tell anything for sure. :wink:

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

I think it's a banzai lap on fumes for Alonso.. Renault in front of home crowd... Especially after blowing an engine in FP1
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

Conceptual
Conceptual

ben_watkins wrote:I think it's a banzai lap on fumes for Alonso.. Renault in front of home crowd... Especially after blowing an engine in FP1

Banzi or not, it was a VERY quick lap.

Enough to get into Q3 tomorrow I think.

I would not count out a Renault spoiler for wins in the second half of the year...

Its going to be a VERY interesting season... Lets hope that Max's scandal will be the only issue this year.

Chris

WhiteBlue

Alonso did some rally driving today. great recoveries with some impressive slides!
he was probably running on fumes.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

db__

Heavy thunderstorms predicted for tomorrow & race day so maybe we could be in for a few surprises?

kekekeke
kekekeke

Lewis was running without the bridge wing for the second half of FP2. Having seen McLaren for a year and a half with it, the car looked weird for a lack of better word.

I wonder what they'll do tomorrow. Perhaps with the enforced central strut, the bridge wing isn't as effective any more.