Renault R29

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Renault R29

I for one was very happy to see that ghoulish thing falling off, hoping nobody would bother to pick it up.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Agerasia
Agerasia

Metar wrote:
modbaraban wrote:Anyone else surprised how easily R29 nose was clipped off after hitting those (foam plastic?) trackside signs? :shock:
Not really. It was quite fast, after all, and they're not just foam, after all. Try hitting a stretched piece of thick nylon with your fist, then increase the speed times ten... And remember - where energy is concerned, it's 0.5*m*v^2 - twice the speed, four times the energy.
Exactly, even rain hurts in an open visor above 100MPH.
"badically pressuring rosnerg " Ringo 05/10/2014

xpensive
xpensive

Either way, we should expect great things from Alonso the coming weekend, with Piquet making it to Q3 as well!

ISLAMATRON

HAHA, yeah right! thats gotta be the craziest post you have ever put up xpensive.

All joking aside... Alonso was p7 in Q2 china... behind RBR/Brawn/Truilli & Hamilton... with KIMI just thousandths of a sec behind him. If Glock gets up to form and Kovi shows good like in the china race form that would leave Alonso battling with the 2 Ferrari's to get into Q3. BMW could have a resurgence as well. Lets not even waste our time talking about Piquet's prospects.

Right now the only cars I would count as locks to get into Q3 are Brawn/RBR

Giblet
Giblet

modbaraban wrote:Anyone else surprised how easily R29 nose was clipped off after hitting those (foam plastic?) trackside signs? :shock:
About as surprising as a plastic drinking straw being plunged into an orange.

Or a 2x4 through a tree after a hurricane.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

ISLAMATRON wrote:All joking aside... Alonso was p7 in Q2 china...
Having had time to do 2 set-up changes on a completely new aero package.

He had 3 laps in free practice (1 run)...

-1st setup change-

Then his Q1 laps.

-2nd setup change-

Don't be so quick to write off the chances of Renault making a decent gain over the Bahrain weekend.

ISLAMATRON

kilcoo316 wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:All joking aside... Alonso was p7 in Q2 china...
Having had time to do 2 set-up changes on a completely new aero package.

He had 3 laps in free practice (1 run)...

-1st setup change-

Then his Q1 laps.

-2nd setup change-

Don't be so quick to write off the chances of Renault making a decent gain over the Bahrain weekend.
Excellent point, I orgot that they didnt fit the newer parts until after the free practice. plus now they can undo the silly mistake of taking off the KERS, especially for those long straights.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I was amazed. And after the crash, it appears the nose section has a styrofoam cap on the tip for aerodynamic purposes. To me, it appears the actual nose crash structure begins a bit further back than the very tip.
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/photolarge.ph ... =1105-3717

Racing is about managing risks. Vettel took a huge risk by his qualifying strategy. If he had not nailed it when qualifying, he may not have even graduated to the second round. Alanso also took a risk, qualifying on low fuel and option tires. The rain and safety car totally destroyed that strategy. If, IF, IF it had remained dry, who knows, but Alonso's race would have been very different.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

xpensive
xpensive

Remember this now Islam, Alonso on pole and Piquet 8th this Saturday. :)

ISLAMATRON

xpensive wrote:Remember this now Islam, Alonso on pole and Piquet 8th this Saturday. :)
Yeah because Alonso does silly things like qualify with 1 lap of fuel on board and has to pit at the end of the formation lap while everybody else is gridding up.

vasia
vasia

xpensive wrote:Remember this now Islam, Alonso on pole and Piquet 8th this Saturday. :)
I can't wait for the race weekend where you are proven to be wrong.

xpensive
xpensive

You mean like...again? :lol:

zgred

R29 gearbox.

ISLAMATRON

transaxle to be more specific.

xpensive
xpensive

Aaaah, semantics are sooo exciting...personally I behold a torque-conveying device, but that's me?