Renault R29

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Callum

Re: Renault R29

ben_watkins wrote:As there was no thread on the R28, I thought you'd like to see it anyway here..

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/0 ... ml#photo28

:lol:

United Arab Emirates champion rally driver Mohammed bin Sulayem crashes a Renault Formula 1 R28 during a drag race with a Ford GT, unseen, at the Dubai autodrome, Thursday April 9, as part of ING Renault F1 team's roadshow campaign in the United Arab Emirates
I can imagine the guys in the background thinking "aww, this is going to be a long night"

apparently he cracked the tub.

Metar

I do have to wonder - why bother fixing? It's an outdated car, and surely they have a few spare R28s left for the rest of the programme, and museums?

xpensive
xpensive

Perhaps they should have given him a go in the R29, might as well I mean? :wink:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Callum

i would have thought they'd want to keep the car for further advertising purposes (goodwood etc)

timbo
timbo

Metar wrote:I do have to wonder - why bother fixing? It's an outdated car, and surely they have a few spare R28s left for the rest of the programme, and museums?
It was reported that Alonso used only a single tub in 2008. So I guess there's limited number of R28s and each one has a lot of value.

astracrazy
astracrazy

I think this shows us why there are no UAE drivers in F1

Vid on youtube of it, i just don't see how he done it

Callum

astracrazy wrote:I think this shows us why there are no UAE drivers in F1

I agree...he seemed to be going pretty straight and suddenly...not so straight. I was wondering if it could have been on an upshift or something but it did seem a bit fishy.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

astracrazy wrote:I think this shows us why there are no UAE drivers in F1

bah....this could happen to anyone who has never driven a F1 car before....R28 also has no TC(and I assume its the same with the demo R28)....

BTW, the reaction of the mechanics in the background is hilarious...

Metar

timbo wrote:It was reported that Alonso used only a single tub in 2008. So I guess there's limited number of R28s and each one has a lot of value.
Did the tub survive Canada? Each one obviously costs a fortune, but they must have at least 4-5 partial tubs left over by Piquet anyway... Plus winter-tubs and post-season slick-testers.

It is, however, true that he used a single one to win the 2006 championship, though. At least, wiki-true.

zgred

China
imightbewrong wrote: Image
Spain

xpensive
xpensive

Oh my gaaawd... is that a hole...I mean a vertical slot...in the floor?!!!

zgred

xpensive wrote:Oh my gaaawd... is that a hole...I mean a vertical slot...in the floor?!!!

Yes from this angle even more visible... notty Renault boys :]

xpensive
xpensive

But seriously, I think this image shows how limited you are with the floor if the tub itself is not designed for the DDD.

Can you begin to imagine the 2010 floors?

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

good shot....probably the best shot of any floor side of the DDD yet...

Giblet
Giblet

I think if the R29 and F1.09 went to a bar together, the R29 would hang out near the F1.09 all night to be the good looking one for a change, and maybe meet some nice lady cars.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute