Renault R29

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo
timbo

Re: Renault R29

Why is it that Renault mechanics always carry floor around? :roll:

xpensive
xpensive

In my office, carrying things around typically means someone has a reason to convey an image of being veeery busy.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

modbaraban
modbaraban

They're trying to make up for lacking wind tunnel time :P

Metar

It amazes me.. They carry objects worth millions of dollars worth of development, open for all to see. Every race, only the Renault is completely exposing their floors.

xpensive
xpensive

It has surprised me too Metar, it's really an odd practise, why I wonder if someone wishes to make a point of sorts?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Metar wrote:It amazes me.. They carry objects worth millions of dollars worth of development, open for all to see. Every race, only the Renault is completely exposing their floors.
Reason there is a lack of cover is due to the fact theres a regulation in the sporting codes for this. I think Martin Brundle or David Croft & Antony Davidson refered to it in comentrin in FP3 or Quali.

I think they said they are limited to only 2 covers for the entire car or something like that.

blobslosak
blobslosak

Yep, the teams aren't allowed to use screens any more, hence all the pictures we now see with the cars in bits being worked on before the race weekend starts. Brilliant rule imo.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Steering wheel:

Anyone spot Piquets setting??? And his posible final setting for the team???

The FOZ
The FOZ

Metar wrote:It amazes me.. They carry objects worth millions of dollars worth of development, open for all to see. Every race, only the Renault is completely exposing their floors.
Ever hear of a red herring? Might not be THAT out there...

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

So... you see a photo of it.

What do you do with it?

Seeing a photo does not mean you have a detailed geometry - its not like getting the thing under a 3D scanner!

With the DDD rules, everyone knows the loopholes and concepts. So its all back to details.

natef1
natef1

ESPImperium wrote:Steering wheel:

*Renault wheel*

Anyone spot Piquets setting??? And his posible final setting for the team???
What, Fail and Exit? :wink:

Spencifer_Murphy

kilcoo316 wrote:
So... you see a photo of it.

What do you do with it?

Seeing a photo does not mean you have a detailed geometry - its not like getting the thing under a 3D scanner!

With the DDD rules, everyone knows the loopholes and concepts. So its all back to details.

While I do get what you mean Kilcoo316, would it not be benificial for a rival team at all? I mean it wasn't long ago that F1 teams used to cover their rear wings so other teams couldn't see their setup (until it was banned of course)

Surely there'd be some benifit to a rival team, even if just to see "Oh so that's how they've done that then...maybe we should look into that?"
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

zgred

I think they are reading F1technical...

jwielage
jwielage

quote]While I do get what you mean Kilcoo316, would it not be benificial for a rival team at all? I mean it wasn't long ago that F1 teams used to cover their rear wings so other teams couldn't see their setup (until it was banned of course)

Surely there'd be some benifit to a rival team, even if just to see "Oh so that's how they've done that then...maybe we should look into that?" [/quote]

Your logic is intuitive, but in my opinion there are too many variables for a team to benifit off of specific design details, let alone the broader aesthetic features of these devices.

Take the Brawn design for example. One could speculate that they have most successfully exploited this loophole, however none of the other teams' DDD solutions have mirrored the appearance of that on the Brawn. It would seem that there are just too many other dependancies to allow a given team's design to have carry over value to others (except maybe the RBR STR thing....). I would also think that rear end aero parts are even more subject to this as their optimization would be contigent upon all upstream influences.

Furthermore, this years testing ban would place even more emphasis on organic developement as teams don't have the time for a trial and error based approach.

.....Oh sh@t I just saw an update with their floors covered. So much for my theory.. :oops: :lol: :mrgreen:
“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so" - Mark Twain

vasia
vasia

Finally Renault has the common sense to cover up their floors.