Lauda thinks current drivers have no personality

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jamsbong
jamsbong

Lauda thinks current drivers have no personality

http://www.f1technical.net/news/11641?s ... b360331de6

Strong words but I think it is justified. Today's drivers are so cautious of interviews to ensure they are not giving away any tips or create suspicion that they are accusing other drivers. They only speak what the team commands them to say.

In the old days, I think it is better. Drivers know each other and isn't afraid to pull some jokes because they are all taking it easy. Like Schumacher vs Hakkinen, they really compete hard but outside the racing car, they are good buddies.

tk421

Re: Lauda thinks current drivers have no personality

My personal opinion (conceptual, don't blast me for passing opinion off as fact :wink: :lol: )
I don't know if this is troll stuff, or if I'm adding petrol to the fire, but I think Lauda's comments have been rendered irrelevant by Father Time (**see below**). Every driver has a personality, obviously, but I think what Lauda is saying is that we don't see any practical jokes betwixt drivers like we used to, and we don't see any drivers throwing caution and the kitchen sink into the wind, living the 'rock-star' life per se. I remember seeing video of James Hunt asking for a fag after winning a Grand Prix, and seconds later, someone sticks a Marlboro in his mouth and he lights up. A driver nowadays might want to do that, or he might want to get faced straightaway, but the fact is he's not allowed to.

Kimi's boat race? meh... Kubica, Alonso, Fisi and some others playing poker? meh...

****The truth is that current-day F1 is completely different than Lauda's F1. Now it is so much more a business (public image, sponsors, politically correct, $$$$). It is all about image, and these drivers are supposed to have a clean, responsible, and correct image. Now more than ever, these drivers are international role models, and much to Lauda's dismay, they all (mostly) behave as such--as they should do.

In sum, Lauda's comments are taken out of context, methinks....
I would review and re-edit my comments, but I've got a pizza burning in the oven!!! :lol: Hope my comments aren't too off! :lol:
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

jamsbong
jamsbong

Yes, thats the point. Today's drivers are being controlled so strictly that they don't have a chance to express themselves or be creative about expressing themselves.

I suppose Lauda misses HIS good old days. However, I do think a bit a drama can be nice. what you think?

xpensive
xpensive

I agree with Lauda wholeheartedly on this one, watching today's post-race press-conferences is simply pointless. Three polite drivers all saying in synch what they have been told to say. It is so refreshing to hear once in a while that Raikkonen has a real life away from the circuits, even if it was reported earlier that McLaren tried to regulate that in his contract, in PC "Ron-speak" of course.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

pipex
pipex

I agree too, drivers only say what they are told and are PR robots...
I see that the only "real" rivalry is Alonso versus McLaren+Hamilton, that was a good one when he said that McLaren only wanted him to lose. One of the very few anti PR events that modern F1 has given us.
The other drivers are just robots, never say anything.
"We will have to wait and see".

modbaraban
modbaraban

Chaparral

He's correct but you would hardly say Lauda had personality either he was quite monosylibic in his interviews.......................no one doubts his skills and bravery thats for sure.

For the last decade they (Ecclestone and the teams) have always referred to F1 as 'the show' and entertainment akin to the music business - well I beg to differ I dont see any of the 'stars' acting like rock stars - they are so hog tied - crikeys you cant even do do-nuts when you take a win its straight back into park-ferme - you hear of the occasional incident like Kimi getting --- faced and falling off his boat but little else - the blokes Ive known over the years have personalities but corporate B/S with the tie into manufacturers and everything has meant its nearly all scripted for the drivers on the public occasions. James Hunt was a good point in case - I remember a story about him being out on a bender and turning up for testing next morning (after no sleep and loads of booze in his gut) hopping in a Mclaren doing a couple of laps and then nothing he didnt come round so Dennis hopped in his Jag and found him pulled over on the side of the track - asleep Yes I know its not the thing to do but its real life..................today sportsmen are expected to be role models - why I do not know - thats a heavy burden to carry for anyone. Alan Jones our guy was another one - he'd rather a fist fight than a free lunch and spoke his mind very directly - and showed he could walk the walk on track................the boys in F1 these days are pussies or maybe not - we will never know.

timbo
timbo

I think that Lauda is behaving like an old fart in interviews like this. Sorry)))

Now, seriously, I believe that today drivers are much more exposed to media attention and that today they work and train (physically AND psychologically) harder than before.
That's just leaves much less space for them to SHOW personality.

Ciro Pabón

Personality?

Mr. Lauda (and fans): meet Fernando Alonso, Juan Montoya, Jacques Villeneuve, Mikka Häkkinen, Kimi Räikkönnen and David Coulthard.

Those guys did not buy their way into their teams, like... some other drivers (did you? really?), and, furthermore, did not start to shine once they drove a Ferrari (did you also? really?).

On a side note: why did they call you "The Rat"? ;)

Oh, the teeth. I see.
Ciro

Chaparral

On a side note: why did they call you "The Rat"?
Ciro I'm sure Bobby Rahal could answer that :wink:
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

db__

Could part of the problem lie in the fact that drivers are coming into the formula at increasingly younger ages and so are more susceptible to 'mind management' from the teams?

I dug the following numbers out - does anyone have anything more concrete?
In 1955, the average age was 34 years, 10 months. In 1975, 31 years, two months. In 1995, 29 years, one month. In 2001 was out at 27 years, 11 months.

xpensive
xpensive

It is good to have a moderator at F1Technical in order to keep discussions true to the thread and language in line.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

xpensive wrote:It is good to have a moderator at F1Technical in order to keep discussions true to the thread and language in line.
? sarcasm?

:wtf:

The guys are doing what they want to do.. no need for Hello magazine articles about them.

F1 Technical..let's talk cars and the like.. not personality differences between young men... :wink:
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Is it the driver's fault, the FIA, Bernie, or the teams?
Just look at the finish of the race. The cars are herded back to the paddock, the top three finishers are carefully controlled, sent through post-race inspection, sheperded to the trophy presentation and then the official press conference. Of course, during this press conference the drivers have oblitations by their teams and sponsors the speak in a certain manner, and conduct themselves appropriately. The only allowance for a display of emotions and spontaneity is the brief time the drivers initially exit their cars (Alonso almost always puts on a nice show whenever he's in the position) and after the awards ceremont. Shu expressed himself with his famous cheerleader jump.
There's just so very little time for drivers to actually be themselves, and indulge in spontaneity.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

jddh1

As is evident from the blunt nature of his conversations, Lauda confirms that he still has the same number of friends today as in the past - none.

"That is absolutely true," he said. "There were no doubts about that while I was active, anyway - everyone was ready to roll over someone else's head to win."

"You have to be a loner to have success in motorsports," Lauda added.
Sounds to me a like an disgruntled, old man. Sad, considering he was a fantastic driver.
And I completely disagree with him that you have to be a loner to succeed in motorsports. You have to be selfish, but not a loner. Case in point, Valentino Rossi. A friendly guy but on the track a shark. Same with most F1 drivers.
And, to add to that, personally, I'd like to beat my friends a lot more than my enemies. I don't care about my enemies, but I want to remind my friends of how I beat them every chance I get. Perhaps it's just me.