Button doesn't deserve to be champion - Tamara Ecclestone

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
astracrazy
astracrazy

Button doesn't deserve to be champion - Tamara Ecclestone

She does have a very valid point.
"I don't think Jenson Button deserves to be the F1 World Champion. He has been in it such a long time and never really came close to winning a championship. Suddenly the car is good and he's won the championship. He only won six races, and they were all at the beginning of the season," Ecclestone said to Englands 'Daily Mail' newspaper.

Adding lastly, “If they'd all had the same car, then Jenson Button definitely wouldn't have won this season."

Mystery Steve
Mystery Steve

Re: Button doesn't deserve to be champion - Tamara Ecclestone

Mystery Steve wrote: The goal of the drivers is to earn the most championship points over the course of the entire season with the car that they are contracted to drive. By nature of competition and the formulation of the rules, some cars will be better than others depending on how well developed they are at different stages in the season. Jenson was contracted to drive a car that was superior to others out of the gate and scored a lot of points early in the season. Enough points in fact, that he didn't have to push as hard as everyone else the remainder of the season. No, he didn't win races at the end of the year, but he still finished with 9 podium finishes and only finished out of the points once, when he got together with Grosjean at Spa. Just because he didn't run away with the championship, doesn't mean he didn't earn it under the same competition rules as every other driver.

All the drivers are competing with the understanding that the cars are developed differently, and they all agree to the same point format. Let the chips fall where they may...

Congratulations to Jenson for being a worthy champion.
It is what it is...

Craigy

astracrazy wrote:She does have a very valid point.
I disagree. She seems to have failed to notice that Barrichello had the same car.

C

WhiteBlue

What strikes me as a bit strange is that Tamara has a public opinion that people consider news worthy. Is she an expert because her father runs the show?Or is it rather that journos have nothing to write about that makes them use cheap tricks like using the family name and placing the quotation.

Re the issue it is rather obvioius that you have to sit in the top one or two pair of cars to become WDC. It must have happened quite often, that the WCC car was more dominant than the WDC. One time wonders like Jacques Villeneuve and Damon Hill could be named in that context. Other capable races winners never got the chance to sit in a highly competitive car. People like Berger or Alesi come to mind. Button fits very well with that lot. I agree that he isn't sensational like Hamilton or occasionally brilliant like Reikkonen to watch.

To say Button doesn't deserve the title is tabloid rubbish. For once I agree with the rude man.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 10 Nov 2009, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Chaparral

Its from the Daily Mail or so I believe and you wouldnt wipe your butt with that rag - and unfortunately in this case - any publicity isnt good publicity - deserves to be buried - as does the rag itself.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

astracrazy
astracrazy

I agree everybody who has replied has valid points too.

I just feel its a shame all his wins came at the start of the season when everyone was playing catch up.

Richard
Richard

Chaparral wrote:Its from the Daily Mail or so I believe and you wouldnt wipe your butt with that rag - and unfortunately in this case - any publicity isnt good publicity - deserves to be buried - as does the rag itself.
That rag is the most depressing diatribe of negativity you can possibly imagine.

Craigy

richard_leeds wrote:
Chaparral wrote:Its from the Daily Mail or so I believe and you wouldnt wipe your butt with that rag - and unfortunately in this case - any publicity isnt good publicity - deserves to be buried - as does the rag itself.
That rag is the most depressing diatribe of negativity you can possibly imagine.
<Daily mail>If only Diana were still alive...</Daily mail>

C

Richard
Richard

Craigy wrote:<Daily mail>If only Diana were still alive...</Daily mail>
she's dead???

Confused_Andy
Confused_Andy

Tamarrarararararara Ecclestone? I never realised she was part of FOM, oh she's not?

So her opinion is no more in touch than what mine would be. I think she's wrong, there were two people with that car, it took the stronger and more consistant driver to win it, the redbull's became very strong cars and could have easily took the championship if their drivers weren't so inconsistent and unfortunate.

kevster145
kevster145

We care what she says because?????????? who gives a crap what she thinks.

TheMinister

Think of it this way; as a team principle, would you really pick Jenson to be your No 1 driver over Lewis or Fernando or Felipe or Kimi?

She's quite right- I will remember Jenson as a mediocre driver in a brilliant car.

astracrazy
astracrazy

TheMinister wrote:Think of it this way; as a team principle, would you really pick Jenson to be your No 1 driver over Lewis or Fernando or Felipe or Kimi?

She's quite right- I will remember Jenson as a mediocre driver in a brilliant car.
That can't be argued with. Does anybody here really think he will win the championship again? Next year, if Ferrari and Macca are on top again - Button will be no where like he was after the first 6 races of the season.

xpensive
xpensive

Ross Brawn don't seem to be in much of a rush to hire him for 2010 anyway?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

lkocev

Quite a silly comment to make in my opinion. Jenson Button scored the most points in the season, thus, he deserves to be champion. This idea about world drivers' champions having the best car is not a recent idea anyhow, in any championship or any race for that matter its always about the driver, car, team combination.

Button was good enough to exploit his advantage at the start of the season, he did a better job of that than Rubens did. Obviously you never want to make it seem like you 'lip' home to your championship, but lets face things here, Button wrapped the Championship up with a grand prix to spare, so in my opinion that shows he was actually quite a dominant world champion.

I guess in any case some people think he is worthy, some not. I think he is a very worthy champion.