EU slams Ferrari over Marlboro partnership

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: EU slams Ferrari over Marlboro partnership

Hand on heart, am I the omly one thinking that MrM is out for his final scalp to hang on the wall?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

andrew wrote:....

For comparison of Marlboro space. Definately the same logo so why is Ducati not getting slammed?
Is that really the point? :roll:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

timbo
timbo

xpensive wrote:Hand on heart, am I the omly one thinking that MrM is out for his final scalp to hang on the wall?
I think one have to stretch things a bit to imagine it.
Why didn't FIA take any actions because the livery is there for 3+ years?
Also, MM/BE took serious efforts to delay anti-tobacco laws in F1.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

mx_tifosi wrote:
andrew wrote:....

For comparison of Marlboro space. Definately the same logo so why is Ducati not getting slammed?
Is that really the point? :roll:
It was meant to be in responce to Giblets mention of the logo on the Ducati MotoGP bike.

xpensive
xpensive

But those were different days, when everybody knew hwo was supposed to win, no?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

timbo
timbo

xpensive wrote:But those were different days, when everybody knew hwo was supposed to win, no?
But saying that they finally understood what bar code means after three years would speak for either personal interest or stupidity, don't you think?

Sean H
Sean H

Pandamasque wrote:I wonder how can they tell if Ferrari has Barmolo advertising and not Striky Like?

PS: Maybe this whole campaign is plotted by Phillip Morris just t remind everyone exactly what the barcode stands for? Cause it's been awhile since the actual logo appeared on the cars and some younger potential smokers
fans may be unaware.

I also thought that Marlboro/Philip Morris is also loving this as their name is now going to be put all over the Euro media which obviously they cant do.
"The car is slow in the straights and doesn't work well in the corners." JV

Mysticf1
Mysticf1

It really is idiotic isnt it? People will be saying "ohh Marlboro sponsor Ferrari" and those that forgot all about it will remember, thank you EU.

I seem to remember when Marlboro renewed their contract they said the product was firmly associated with Ferrari and that directly placing their logos wasnt entirely necessary because of their history together, isnt that a form of "subliminal advertising" should we jump in the docs delorean and get rid of that too?

autogyro
autogyro

So what do the non bar codes advertise on the Ferrari F1 cars and the Ducati bikes?
The space has been identified as advertising space and it is obviously Malboro who is deciding what the space is used for so it is within the rights of both the FIA and the Eurpean courts to demand of Ferrari/Malboro an answer to this question within European advertising law.
As Malboro is the company controling this space, they should explain exactly what the officialy registered company is that is using the space and prove it with relevent documentation.

autogyro
autogyro

Mysticf1 wrote:It really is idiotic isnt it? People will be saying "ohh Marlboro sponsor Ferrari" and those that forgot all about it will remember, thank you EU.

I seem to remember when Marlboro renewed their contract they said the product was firmly associated with Ferrari and that directly placing their logos wasnt entirely necessary because of their history together, isnt that a form of "subliminal advertising" should we jump in the docs delorean and get rid of that too?
Ferrari and Malboro should pay all the money that was given between them to the FIA as fines back dated to the date when cigarette advertising became illegal.
It is not just illegal advertising it is an unfair financial advantage that Ferrari has had over all the other teams and redress is essential.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Autogyro I absolutley agree with that.
As an ex smoker I have a foot in both camps as it were but, the laws in F1 state no tobaco sponsorship.
Why the hell is Ferrari so special as to get away with this?

A penalty dating back to the ban should be imposed OR future revenues be split between all the teams. One team cannot be above the law, as so often Ferrari feel they are.
More could have been done.
David Purley

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

I think the rules/law is actually no tobacco advertising rather than spondorship. All teams are free to get sponsorship from whoever they like, but they can't display the name/logo if it is a tobaco company. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this at all. Storm in a tea cup.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Personally i think that all sports teams should not be allowed to advertise in any form or way, and take money from tobacco firms.

However i feel that they should be allowed to advertise Alcohol firms, as long as they have the Please Drink Responsibly banner under them.

If ferarri lost the estimated $220million a year from those £6.14 a packet of 20 cigs, they would have a budget roughly to the same as what BMW Sauber, Renault and Red Bull had last year at arround $180-220Million. However, this would leave McLaren in the posistion as the biggest budget at £327million.

However, this is where i feel that a GP2 style provision cap would help in F1, where teams can only purchace supplies thru a central database. Add this measure to the ideal that id like where a team has to develop a design philosiphy over a 2 year period, making a total of 7 tubs in that period before a new design for that team is allowed. I feel that those measures could drastically reduce cost measures, and make the grid more un-predictable.

But lets leave the sporting side out of it. Personally i feel that it is wront for any sports team to be sponsored by a Tobacco sponsorship in the visual and subliminal. Alcohol and Gambeling companies should be allowed to advertise in F1 where allowed in the country of race origin at each event, but where they arnt banned, they should have a suitable alcohol and gambeling charity under that advert for free.

autogyro
autogyro

andrew wrote:I think the rules/law is actually no tobacco advertising rather than spondorship. All teams are free to get sponsorship from whoever they like, but they can't display the name/logo if it is a tobaco company. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this at all. Storm in a tea cup.

All tobacco advertising and sponsorship on television has been banned within the European Union since 1991 under the Television Without Frontiers Directive (1989)
Sorry, even just the name Ferrari/Malboro is against the law.

timbo
timbo

autogyro wrote:Ferrari and Malboro should pay all the money that was given between them to the FIA as fines back dated to the date when cigarette advertising became illegal.
That would be fun)))
Jean Todt calls Domenicalli -- "when I was your boss, and we got that Marlboro contract... You know, now I realize I was wrong supporting a cigarette brand. So, just pay all the money back to me :lol: :lol: :lol: "
It is not just illegal advertising it is an unfair financial advantage that Ferrari has had over all the other teams and redress is essential.
Oh yeah, and Matteshits has to sell his team for 1$ to some proper English gentleman))