EU slams Ferrari over Marlboro partnership

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Re: EU slams Ferrari over Marlboro partnership

Ferraris have been red since year dot.

McLarens colour seems to be more suspect. They say it relates to a sponsor that they don't name. Sounds like West possibly?

autogyro
autogyro

Hmm McLaren as well eh.
Must get on to the European courts.

xpensive
xpensive

Wonder where the line is drawn, what if Ferrrari added the white angle on the nose and wings?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

autogyro
autogyro

xpensive wrote:Wonder where the line is drawn, what if Ferrrari added the white angle on the nose and wings?
It has little to do with what the cars have on them.
It is illegal for the teams to have tobacco sponsorship in F1 period.
If a tobacco company has been paying money to an F1 team, the money should be taken away period.

Avto
Avto

autogyro wrote:
xpensive wrote:Wonder where the line is drawn, what if Ferrrari added the white angle on the nose and wings?
It has little to do with what the cars have on them.
It is illegal for the teams to have tobacco sponsorship in F1 period.
If a tobacco company has been paying money to an F1 team, the money should be taken away period.
Are you sure about sponsorship(not advertising), I mean Ferrari-Philip Morris deal was not really a secret to anyone, but what of it? Only when some "expert" ran out of funding and decided the best way to get some money would be pointing at Ferrari, this became an issue?

autogyro
autogyro

Are you sure about sponsorship(not advertising), I mean Ferrari-Philip Morris deal was not really a secret to anyone, but what of it? Only when some "expert" ran out of funding and decided the best way to get some money would be pointing at Ferrari, this became an issue?

Philip Morris is a tobacco company. Any money going from a tobacco company to an F1 team can only be explained as sponsorship.
If you can define it differently, please explain.
Just because Ferrari has got away with this for a few years and forced other financial aspects of the issue using Fota and attempted to use the courts to delay the inevitable outcome in Europe, does not mean they are not breaking European law.

Avto
Avto

autogyro wrote:Are you sure about sponsorship(not advertising), I mean Ferrari-Philip Morris deal was not really a secret to anyone, but what of it? Only when some "expert" ran out of funding and decided the best way to get some money would be pointing at Ferrari, this became an issue?

Philip Morris is a tobacco company. Any money going from a tobacco company to an F1 team can only be explained as sponsorship.
If you can define it differently, please explain.
Just because Ferrari has got away with this for a few years and forced other financial aspects of the issue using Fota and attempted to use the courts to delay the inevitable outcome in Europe, does not mean they are not breaking European law.
No, no, no what I want to say is, I have never read the exact regulations and so I don't know if sponsorship is still possible as opposed to advertising. Also Marlboro might say they are investing not sponsoring, because as it appears they are selling the space back to other companies.

autogyro
autogyro

If they are buying advertising space and calling it investment, it is still tobacco advertising/sponsorship, which is illegal in Europe period.
If they are just giving Ferrari money with absolutely NO advertising anywhere, it is STILL sponsorship.
Do West give McLaren any money?

Avto
Avto

autogyro wrote:If they are buying advertising space and calling it investment, it is still tobacco advertising/sponsorship, which is illegal in Europe period.
If they are just giving Ferrari money with absolutely NO advertising anywhere, it is STILL sponsorship.
So, could you kind of like give me a link to the exact directive which prohibits tobacco sponsorship in F1. As I see it sponsorship does not equal advertising, let us see what the law says.

flynfrog

Avto wrote:
autogyro wrote:If they are buying advertising space and calling it investment, it is still tobacco advertising/sponsorship, which is illegal in Europe period.
So, could you kind of like give me a link to the exact directive which prohibits tobacco sponsorship in F1. As I see it sponsorship does not equal advertising, let us see what the law says.
The law doesnt matter those cars are red. Fine them and fine them now.
It should be illegal for them to win because they dont like Max or KERS and they are cheaters.

autogyro
autogyro

Avto wrote:
All tobacco advertising and sponsorship on television has been banned within the European Union since 1991 under the Television Without Frontiers Directive (1989)[24] This ban was extended by the Tobacco Advertising Directive, which took effect in July 2005 to cover other forms of media such as the internet, print media, radio, and sports event like F1. The directive does not include advertising in cinemas and on billboards or using merchandising – or tobacco sponsorship of cultural and sporting events which are purely local, with participants coming from only one Member State[25] as these fall outside the jurisdiction of the European Commission. However, most member states have transposed the directive with national laws that are wider in scope than the directive and cover local advertising. A 2008 European Commission report concluded that the directive had been successfully transposed into national law in all EU member states, and that these laws were well implemented.[26]

In 2003, the European Union halted the branding of cigarettes as "light" or "mild", saying that this misleads consumers about the dangers of smoking. Stark health warnings such as "Smoking Kills" must now cover at least 30 percent of the front of each packet and 40 percent of the back, and an even greater area where messages are printed in more than one national language.[27]

Many nations, including Russia and Greece,[citation needed] still allow billboards advertising tobacco use. Tobacco smoking is still advertised in special magazines, during sporting events, in gas stations and stores, and in more rare cases on television. Some nations, including the UK and Australia, have begun anti-smoking advertisements to counter the effects of tobacco advertising.

In Ukraine tobacco advertising "in all printed mass media" is forbidden since January 1, 2010

timbo
timbo

I think you should start with legal definition of sponsorship, is there clear conditions under which money transfer is deemed as sponsorship?

autogyro
autogyro

timbo wrote:I think you should start with legal definition of sponsorship, is there clear conditions under which money transfer is deemed as sponsorship?
From a tobacco company what else could it possibly be.

flynfrog

autogyro wrote:
timbo wrote:I think you should start with legal definition of sponsorship, is there clear conditions under which money transfer is deemed as sponsorship?
From a tobacco company what else could it possibly be.
ash tray development funding

alexbarwell
alexbarwell

I think the subliminal message is present and fairly crass - SF in the logo blatantly is telling us to "Smoke Fags", why didn't we notice earlier?
I am an engineer, not a conceptualist :)