Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
forty-two

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

raymondu999 wrote:McLaren IIRC has used a traditional jack, at least until now. Merc were the first to this jack design in 2010, then Ferrari followed suit. Not sure about teams other than those 4.
Actually, I'm pretty sure that the Brawn team were the first to have the swivel jack.

Regarding the comparison to the pump truck and how they get one pump to lift the car, it's not about being on steriods as such. A conventional pallet truck works with a piston attached to the handle lever, and another one attached to the forks, so repeatedly pumping the handle works like a ratchet pumping up the piston attached to the forks.

The one used for pitstops doesn't have this pump up feature as such. When the car arrives, the ledge that the front wing sits on is already in the up position, and the jack-man uses his weight against the lever as per an old fasioned jack, the hydraulics/pneumatics only work to lower the car when the jack man squeezes the handle.

I can only assume that the jack is then re-set somehow before the next pitstop.

My bet would be pneumatic rather than hydraulic, just because it would presumably drop slightly faster as air is less viscous than hydraulic fluid, and the job is merely to temporarily hold in place rather than to jack up from compression on a secondary cylinder.

Actually, thinking about it, I'm not sure it even needs to be hydraulic or pneumatic. A simple latch to hold it in place until the jack man pulls the trigger and let gravity do the work, would probably do the job, less to go wrong! But they do look like hoses in that picture so it's something!
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

WhiteBlue

This was one week ago when Vettel ran the rearward/inside exhaust.
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Here's better look at Sebs exhaust today
And this is the forward version without sideway redirection.
raymondu999 wrote:Best shot I could get: (so far, anyways)
I think Seb and Ted Kravitz explained it all. The RB8 exhaust finally came right after countless alterations over the course of ten weeks and four race weekends. The exhaust gases were finally going where Newey wanted them to go, into a layer between the diffusor and the wing air sealing the diffusor air off and making the downforce predictable. I'm not sure that this exhaust config was previously run on Seb's car.

[...]
Last edited by Steven on 23 Apr 2012, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Stripped non-technical part, not suitable for this thread
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

[...]

As for the exhaust, I'd say they have a good idea of what the car is doing, but they still need more data as far as the downforce being predictable. They've used many different solutions in FP's, Quali & the GP's and to think they know all about the latest configuration after only 3 FP seesions is a little much.

That said it's clear following Saubers lead is the way to go and they like what they see. RB's pace hasn't been bad so far this season, so getting the car to work like they want seems it'll make the car much more competitive.

Now that's said I don't believe the RB is the best car in the field and I don't think they will dominate. It's clear to me this season will be back and forth as to who's at the front and very dependent on the specific track and the weather situation.
Last edited by Steven on 23 Apr 2012, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed reply on deleted comment

MIKEY_!

Maybe they were having problems with a thick boundary layer developing in that tunnel and causing drag/blockage. I know it was short but it was also very narrow and there was speculation that TR might have had similar issues with their double floor last year.

WhiteBlue

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Dude you can't be serious? After getting beat in all but one race & every quali session of the year suddenly Seb is "back to dominating Mark"??? :lol:
I don't care if you take my view seriously, but it is meant to be. I have been a close observer and I think I have reasons for my prediction. You obviously think different. That doesn't mean you can ridicule opposing opinion. I'm not arguing from a statistical POV. My points are more based on understanding the strengths and weaknesses of the RB team mates.

If you think my view is extreme and a minority you better have a look at how today's qualy result changed the WDC odds and where Webber is in those odds. The betting money is fully in line with my view.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

munudeges
munudeges

myurr wrote:The exhaust exit actually looks like it is in the same location, they've just filled in the tunnel.
To get the exhaust gas to go in the direction you want you need to blow it against the bodywork to get some kind of control over it. Should that be legal?

Now that things seem to be heading in the right direction I would expect to see various holes and tunnels reappear at the back and around the rear.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

MIKEY_! wrote:Maybe they were having problems with a thick boundary layer developing in that tunnel and causing drag/blockage. I know it was short but it was also very narrow and there was speculation that TR might have had similar issues with their double floor last year.
I think you're correct. Here's a shot of them running flo-vis in the tunnel and well I think it speaks for itself. If it was flowing like they wanted I'd think we'd see some sort of flo-vis against the coke bottle.

univex
univex

Truth be said the more the exhaust gas has to do with the car, the more that Vettel will dominate Webber.
Ever since the engine map updates that ended Webber's doiminance over Vettel in 2010, the engine maps have been developed for Vettel's driving style.
For 2011 it was all aimed at mid corner speed and taking advantage of Vettel's faster entry into the corner style of driving.
For 2012 this hasn't worked and Webber has come out fastest. Once they get it to work effectively, and not just at RB friendly tracks like Bahrain, the more that Vettel will dominate Webber.
Not only does Webber have a weight penalty, he also has a development program based around the other driver.

[...]
Last edited by Steven on 23 Apr 2012, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed reply on deleted comment

raymondu999

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
MIKEY_! wrote:Maybe they were having problems with a thick boundary layer developing in that tunnel and causing drag/blockage. I know it was short but it was also very narrow and there was speculation that TR might have had similar issues with their double floor last year.
I think you're correct. Here's a shot of them running flo-vis in the tunnel and well I think it speaks for itself. If it was flowing like they wanted I'd think we'd see some sort of flo-vis against the coke bottle.
If choking at the tunnel was the issue - why not "chop off" the bit that connects the top surface of the sidepod to the floor? In effect have a weird version of the McLaren exhaust bulge, except it becomes more like a clifflike overhang. I hope I'm communicating what I'm saying clearly.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ringo

WhiteBlue wrote:
With a predictable downforce Seb is back at dominating Webber. Now that Newey has found the stability and a bit of performance Seb will be back to his old self. I predict the Vettel superiority over Webber to continue for the rest of the season. It may not be as distinct as last year but it will be there most of the time IMHO.
Haha,
You're gonna eat those words.
I didn't see Vettel having the better of Webber in Quali. He just so happened to get a better lap, sort of like 2010 with Massa out doing Alonso in Q3.
In fact Webber still looks to be faster, even though the final result says otherwise.
Webber is still the man with a more consistent long run.
To add to that, his confidence is there for this setup.
For Sure!!

banibhusan

raymondu999 wrote:McLaren IIRC has used a traditional jack, at least until now. Merc were the first to this jack design in 2010, then Ferrari followed suit. Not sure about teams other than those 4.
Lotus also uses a similar jack. At least in Bahrain.

myurr
myurr

Indeed Webber was the faster driver in Q1 and Q2, it was only Q3 where Vettel managed to turn the tables. So maybe we're back to seeing Vettel able to extract more from a special qualifying map than Webber, or perhaps Webber just had a less than perfect lap.

But WhiteBlue has made a testable prediction now, one that we can judge over the rest of the season and objectively see if it really was informed or the wishful thinking of a fanboi.

MIKEY_!

raymondu999 wrote:If choking at the tunnel was the issue - why not "chop off" the bit that connects the top surface of the sidepod to the floor? In effect have a weird version of the McLaren exhaust bulge, except it becomes more like a clifflike overhang. I hope I'm communicating what I'm saying clearly.
I think I understand you but that still leaves the very narrow gap between the floor and sidepod (what used to be the floor and ceiling of the tunnel). It's this narrow gap that is the main problem.

cccag

Image[/quote]

Force India has a nice solution for cooling brakes

Art & science are disciplines that must work together hand in hand - Horacio Pagani

raymondu999

All the teams have similar hose attachments to attach their centrifuge fans to the ducts.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法