Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

raymondu999 wrote: They're apparently bringing two test crews to allow for less garage downtime.
Are they allowed two test crews? How about two sets of test cars? A relief test driver?

Brian

raymondu999

I'm quite sure rhey can bring more test drivers, not sure about cars.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

hardingfv32 wrote:
raymondu999 wrote: They're apparently bringing two test crews to allow for less garage downtime.
Are they allowed two test crews? How about two sets of test cars? A relief test driver?

Brian
There is no limit to the amount of crew members allowed to be present during testing. Usually many of the Aerodynamic Engineers are present and other folks. As for the cars, only one is allowed if I'm not mistaken. Same as pre-season testing.

raymondu999

One car is allowed on track, but what prevents them from prepping one in the garage while the other one is lapping on track? In Barca 2 the Red Bull B-spec wasn't just an A-spec they kodified, it was a completely different chassis.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Chuckjr

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
hardingfv32 wrote:

Brian
There is no limit to the amount of crew members allowed to be present during testing. Usually many of the Aerodynamic Engineers are present and other folks. As for the cars, only one is allowed if I'm not mistaken. Same as pre-season testing.
"As for the cars, only one is allowed"

Who's the friggin' genius who came up with that pathetic rule? Seriously. Some of these testing restrictions are complete cods wallop.
Watching F1 since 1986.

NonNewtonic
NonNewtonic

Base on my understanding on the rules teams could bring parts that can build as many car as they like but they could only set up ONE car on the circuit others must be kept as parts

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

raymondu999 wrote:One car is allowed on track, but what prevents them from prepping one in the garage while the other one is lapping on track? In Barca 2 the Red Bull B-spec wasn't just an A-spec they kodified, it was a completely different chassis.
Right but remember Horner & Co had to ask the permission of the other teams to fly the new chassis in and use it. Everyone agreed. I don't believe they can have two cars in the garage, prepping one while the other is on track. There wouldn't have been reason to request permission for a new chassis in pre-season no?

raymondu999

I remember that with Lotus, but not with Red Bull.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

raymondu999 wrote:I remember that with Lotus, but not with Red Bull.
Remember the last Barca test? Red Bull wanted to bring the new exhaust system car, but said they couldn't change the one that started the test in enough time, so Horner & Newey flew down with the brand new chassis.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/03/b ... f-theatre/

The penultimate day of testing before the start of the new F1 season saw a dramatic piece of theatre from Red Bull Racing, who had such a significant upgrade package they needed to ship out a new car to Spain. The real Red Bull RB8 stood up in the pitlane and now the opposition know what they are up against. And by leaving it so late, Red Bull have not given the opposition much time to study their design and copy it.

Under FOTA single car testing rules
, this required permission from other teams, which was granted and the car duly ran with Mark Webber at the wheel. Sebastian Vettel will take over for the final day’s testing on Sunday.

Edit: it wasn't the last day, my apologies. Mark ran it one day, then on the last day Seb had problems. My apologies mate.

raymondu999

Ah. Must've missed that they needed unanimous approval for it. Thanks.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

raymondu999 wrote:Ah. Must've missed that they needed unanimous approval for it. Thanks.
No worries it has been a while. The extra crew they're bringing is interesting. There's only so much space on the car to work, it seems they would be tripping over themselves. But I assume there's work for them to do, otherwise they wouldn't be there.
I'm very curious to see these changes which require more hands on deck.

Forza

Crucial_Xtreme@ I also presume that they could bring some development parts that require more data acquisitions or mechanical work. But from logistics point of view they could also do double shifts on the car.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

A little nugget I picked up on an AutoSport article this morning: Red Bull runs its simulator live during sessions as a third car to test different configurations Seb & Mark aren't using to see if they're helpful. Pretty interesting.

raymondu999

Why wait until fp1? I didn't convey that well, but that was my point. What is so golden about the timing of fp1?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Lycoming
Lycoming

I would think that to some degree its reactive based on what they observe from the car during the sessions.