Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
horse

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

ringo wrote:They are blowing the beam wing with the exhaust. The arms just keep the flow from spreading upward. The arms may also coax the hot gas to take a more horizontal plume shape. They are trying to spread the flow across the wing instead of heaving one focused tube of gas under a little area i think.
raymondu999 wrote:ringo - what would be the benefit of spreading the flow over the whole beam wing rather than just 2 local "hotspots" as it were? I mean; you'd get less pressure on it as the force is distributed; but wouldn't the net total be the same amount of extra downforce?
Are you allowed to have a varying profile on the rear wing? Hmmm, I guess that would be too obviously "blowing" of some sort to build a wing that looked like it would accept the exhaust directly.

You could argue that a wing that will stall without exhaust input is also against the spirit of the rules.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

horse wrote: some sort to build a wing that looked like it would accept the exhaust directly.
Can you expand?

Brian

strad

strad wrote:It sounds good till you realize the rules would forbid it...I Think.
But it is a good visual explanation and for all we know is on and working...We'll see... I am soooooooo tired of waiting to get the show on the road. I think there's room for at least 6 more races. :lol:
Man the story sure has legs if it's not true!!!!
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

horse

@Brian

I meant a variable profile wing that could except a (two) narrow region(s) of faster flow from the exhaust and then the normal input on the rest of the wing. So, like a W beam wing type thingy.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

You can see a bit of the diffuser here.

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

raymondu999

Is that flowvis on the tyre?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

raymondu999 wrote:Is that flowvis on the tyre?
Looks like it, not sure where from though, you'd expect it to wear off pretty quickly as well incase it's tyres from an earlier run put back on. Maybe he ran over the bucket :P
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

And serious heat shielding on the control arms. Looks like cladding over some type of insulation.

Brian

Agerasia
Agerasia

raymondu999 wrote:Is that flowvis on the tyre?
It's a glove :lol:
"badically pressuring rosnerg " Ringo 05/10/2014

raymondu999

The yellow bit is a glove. I'm talking of the blue spots on the tyre :roll:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

PhillipM
PhillipM

I love the heat sheilding held on by tie-wraps :lol:

irang
irang

raymondu999 wrote:The yellow bit is a glove. I'm talking of the blue spots on the tyre :roll:
Maybe this blue paint?
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... medium.jpg

hollus

Borrowed from F1fanatic, then zoomed and enhanced! From yesterday at Barcelona.

In this image the letterbox looks more like a slot than like a dam. Note that the light is coming almost directly from the front. If it is a dam, it is quite deep.
Rivals, not enemies.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Two very good pictures from this morning of the rear of the car. Right click>view image

raymondu999

Some people say the RB7 had a tighter ass, but I HONESTLY don't think so
失败者找理由,成功者找方法