Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
henra
henra
64
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

Polemik wrote: "Redbullish very short nose..."
= deffinitely NOT ! Its Williamsish nose - see FW37 from last seasson !!
You are right regarding the protrusion itself. That is exactly Williams style. That said the nose itself is more rounded, closer to Red Bull while the Williams nose is pretty boxy. So one could say it is Williamsredbullish :mrgreen:

dot235
dot235
5
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:59 am

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

matt_s wrote:
dot235 wrote: EDIT:

Actually I migth be not entirely right, there appears to be a slight difference in wheel base
The difference in this picture is due to the difference in perspective of the photos. The 16 is taken from a lower vantage point / wider angle.
I don't think so. Everything else aligns perfectly.

bhall II
bhall II
861
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

dot235 wrote:I don't think so. Everything else aligns perfectly.
Psst

User avatar
variante
112
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:36 am
Location: Monza

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

dot235 wrote:
matt_s wrote:
dot235 wrote: EDIT:

Actually I migth be not entirely right, there appears to be a slight difference in wheel base
The difference in this picture is due to the difference in perspective of the photos. The 16 is taken from a lower vantage point / wider angle.
I don't think so. Everything else aligns perfectly.
That's the problem. Rear wings -old and new- shouldn't be alligned, as the rear wing positioning is determined by rear wheel position, therefore when the wheel goes backward, the wing goes backwards as well.
So, yes, the perspective is different.

User avatar
turbof1
Moderator
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm
Location: MountDoom CFD Matrix

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

dot235 wrote:
matt_s wrote:
dot235 wrote: EDIT:

Actually I migth be not entirely right, there appears to be a slight difference in wheel base
The difference in this picture is due to the difference in perspective of the photos. The 16 is taken from a lower vantage point / wider angle.
I don't think so. Everything else aligns perfectly.
It is a different lens I believe. For instance the rear wing looks thinner. It doesn't match 100% exactly. Bhall's picture is from the exact same angle and with the exact same lens. It shows the wheelbase remains the same.
#AeroFrodo

dot235
dot235
5
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:59 am

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

Rear wing is supposed to be smaller... New regulations.

It's the same angle.
Except for different front camber or alignment / different tyre pressure everything matches spot on.
Image

All lines are of course perfectly straight.

User avatar
turbof1
Moderator
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm
Location: MountDoom CFD Matrix

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

dot235 wrote:Rear wing is supposed to be smaller... New regulations.

It's the same angle.
Except for different front camber or alignment / different tyre pressure everything matches spot on.
http://i.imgur.com/gpijoog.png
The rear wing regulation have not changed between 2014 and now. They changed from 2013 to 2014. The front tyre is that visibly smaller that you cannot explain that with tyre pressures.
#AeroFrodo

OO7
OO7
135
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

dot235 wrote:Rear wing is supposed to be smaller... New regulations.

It's the same angle.
Except for different front camber or alignment / different tyre pressure everything matches spot on.
http://i.imgur.com/gpijoog.png

All lines are of course perfectly straight.
Under what new regs is the rear wing supposed to be smaller?

User avatar
Gridlock
60
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:14 am

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

@F1 to the rescue, wrt wheelbase:

https://twitter.com/f1/status/701021994410602497

Image
#58

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger
44
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:59 am

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

So we have photographic evidence that the wheelbase is a) shorter, b) the same, c) longer. (See below.)

Common sense, and the most accurate-looking picture, tell me b) is more likely.

EDIT: Actually, no picture is accurate, if you compare wheels. But I can't see how anyone can be 100% convinced from these photos. I'd prefer to guess it's the same though.

a) Image
b) Image
c) Image

Mat-tes
Mat-tes
18
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:17 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

Gentlemen, could we please stop arguing over the wheel base length over and over? It's fun for few pages, but then it becomes pointless.

Regarding the back of the car, it seems like the hot air exit are now higher and oriented parallel to the ground. The ones on the SF15-T seems to be pointing downward and positioned lower:

Image

(No, the images above are not to scale...)
I inaccurately draw over what seems to be the exit orientation according to the side geometry. Pictures from last year Malaysia shows it better how the exit are pointing downward.
Could it be used to have a cleaner airflow over the diffuser? Its higher position would allow for more airflow to come in as many already pointed out.

Also, the tub seems to be diving much later and steeply toward the nose compare to last year.

Overall I really hope all these massive changes will be sorted out during the test sessions (worryingly short...) in Barcelona and give them boost in performance to catch Mercedes.

bhall II
bhall II
861
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

ChrisDanger wrote:Actually, no picture is accurate, if you compare wheels. But I can't see how anyone can be 100% convinced from these photos. I'd prefer to guess it's the same though.
You have to use known dimensions to do a side-by-side comparison (and it doesn't always work).

The distance from the trailing edge of the front wing end plate and the face of the front wheel is standard for all cars. The distance between the front of the cockpit opening - indicated by the windscreen - and the headrest is standard for all cars. Naturally, the diameter of the wheels is also standard.

There are other common areas, as well, and the more you can match up, the better.

My comparison uses three that cover the front, mid-section, and rear of the car. Because each of those areas are the same size in both pictures, and because we know those dimensions cannot legally vary in reality, we can make a reasonably valid comparison between the two cars based upon the photos, confident that proportion and perspective are at least nominally representative.

Image
(Click to enlarge)

The comparison is further bolstered by the shared location of the tea trays, which cannot lie ahead of the rear face of the front wheels, and by the shared location of the airbox inlets/roll hoops, which cannot advance more than XXmm behind the headrest.

There's little, if any, difference between the wheelbase of SF15-T and that of SF16-H.

giantfan10
giantfan10
52
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: USA

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

dot235 wrote:Most probably. I'am guessing that's why the rear gets slightly bulkier towards the very end as opposed to getting progressively narrower.
where the rear flares back out at the end is explained here :"The outline of the car then tapers elegantly into the rear section. This tapering is actually more dramatic than it appears in the overhead image, as the base of the bodywork actually undercuts the upper portion. The upper half then flares back outward slightly to eject the hot internal air, with the rear suspension arms piercing it in places to reach the gearbox case."
look at the picture posted above and you will see the the undercut....i would assume that would direct air exactly where they want it to go above the diffuser at a higher velocity versus it being just a wide open area

f300v10
f300v10
177
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

Mat-tes wrote: Regarding the back of the car, it seems like the hot air exit are now higher and oriented parallel to the ground. The ones on the SF15-T seems to be pointing downward and positioned lower.
The sidepod update introduced at the Spanish GP last season raised the hot air exit on the SF15-T to a similar position as seen on the SF16-H. The top of the exit was parallel with the upper wishbone.

From the very blurry pics of the W07, Mercedes does appear to have lowered the exits to be just above the top of the diffuser.

Mat-tes
Mat-tes
18
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:17 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

f300v10 wrote:
Mat-tes wrote: Regarding the back of the car, it seems like the hot air exit are now higher and oriented parallel to the ground. The ones on the SF15-T seems to be pointing downward and positioned lower.
The sidepod update introduced at the Spanish GP last season raised the hot air exit on the SF15-T to a similar position as seen on the SF16-H. The top of the exit was parallel with the upper wishbone.

From the very blurry pics of the W07, Mercedes does appear to have lowered the exits to be just above the top of the diffuser.
Correct, my bad, I should have double checked before posting.