2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
toraabe

Re: 2022 Aero Thread

One thing i would like to see is before we say goodbye to the current f1 cars, let them loose on some flying laps. Extra soft qualifying tyres like mid 80 and no fuel limit so they crank them up to 1500 hp + somehow... Would be a nice show

mclaren111

mzso wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:55
proteus wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 18:21
Everybody said that cars are too long and not nimble enough. This looks even clumsier. Not a fan right now. Will have to wait to see with a proper livery and design tweaks.
But they've been only criticising length and weight for a few years. They've been talking about dirty air since the eighties. Just you wait, by 2050 the FIA will deal with it.
=D> =D> :D =D> =D>

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 09:29
Zynerji wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 04:37
If that appears to happen, the race director can disable DRS.
Can you imagine the explosion in the race thread if DRS was disabled "for the show" just after a leading protagonist had benefitted from it? Driver A uses DRS to get by Driver B. DRS then disabled by the race director because "overtaking is too easy". Driver B unable to fight back.

Oh my! There would be absolute meltdown. Steven's team of mods would be busy for days clearing that thread up. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I mean, just because DRS is on the cars, race director can just NOT activate it during the race if it gets out of hand with ez-passing. In other words, there is a sporting backstop for this tech regulation.

HungarianRacer

... So let me get this straight, it's the end of July 2021, and they still have no idea how they'll implement a front wing adjustment mechanism, or if they'll end up having one at all (would make the setup options fun... do you want an aerodynamically balanced car, or one that's not a complete sitting duck on the straights?)...

jjn9128

HungarianRacer wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 17:40
... So let me get this straight, it's the end of July 2021, and they still have no idea how they'll implement a front wing adjustment mechanism, or if they'll end up having one at all (would make the setup options fun... do you want an aerodynamically balanced car, or one that's not a complete sitting duck on the straights?)...
Timestamp? There's quite a long section on adjustability of the front wing flaps.
3.9.7 Adjustability of Front Wing
Once the Front Wing Assembly has been defined in accordance with Article 3.9.6, a continuous portion of either the rearmost or the two rearmost profiles (including any Gurney rigidly attached to it) may be adjustable for the sole purpose of trimming front wing aerodynamic load. This adjustable part of the Front Wing Profiles will be called the FW Flap.
The axis of rotation of the adjustable part of the wing must:
a. Pass through points A and B where:
i. Point A lies within the volume of the FW Flap, no more than 25mm from its forward most point at this Y and between Y=200 and Y=400.
ii. Point B lies within the volume of FW Flap, no more than 25mm from its forward most point at this Y and between Y=825 and Y=850.
b. Be no more than 70mm from the FW Flap at any point between points A and B.
c. Once the axis of rotation AB has been defined, two surfaces of revolution must be defined. These surfaces must:
i. Have the axis AB as their axis of revolution, and respectively pass through points A (one surface) or B (the other surface).
ii. Extend over the complete chord of the FW Flap, thus clearly defining its boundary in relation to the non-adjustable part of the Front Wing Profiles.
iii. Over their intersection with the FW Flap at its original design position (defined in accordance to Article 3.9.1), have a normal which does not subtend an angle greater than 30deg to the Y axis.
Furthermore:
d. Compared to the original position of these profiles (as defined in accordance with Article 3.9.1), adjustment may only permit an increase of incidence of the slope defined in Article 3.9.1.g, and the maximum deviation for any point of these profiles from its original position must not exceed 35mm.
e. Minimal exceptions to the geometrical criteria of Article 3.9.1 for the wing profiles may be made in the junction between the adjustable and non-adjustable parts, in order to ensure the necessary level of sealing. Such parts must lie within 3mm from one of the two surfaces of revolution and their maximum size must be the minimum necessary amount required to achieve a 20mm overlap between the adjustable and the non-adjustable parts of the profiles over the whole range of movement.
For the avoidance of doubt, the adjustment permitted under this Article is only allowed when the car is stationary and by the use of a tool, and in accordance with the Formula 1 Sporting Regulations.
Furthermore, any such variation of incidence must maintain compliance with all of the bodywork regulations, with the exception of Article 3.9.1.
EDIT: found it at 1m17s
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

jjn9128

Hopefully what I write will be better than this... I really weep for the technical explanations from F1... :evil:

"Sticky uppy bits" how do they allow this ---?!
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

jjn9128 wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 18:52
Hopefully what I write will be better than this... I really weep for the technical explanations from F1... :evil:

Ahem, I'll have you know mate, that "sticky-uppy-bits" is a fine way to refer to those types of things, and I use it all the time, thankyou very much!!

Along with: spinny-spinny-thingies, spikey-sharpie-hurty-things, bubble-butt-froglet-eye-things, reverse-flowing-long-curvy-things, and wibbly-wobbly-flappy-birdy-i-hate-this-f_cking-design-thingies... to name a few of course...
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

jjn9128

Vyssion wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 20:00
jjn9128 wrote:

Ahem, I'll have you know mate, that "sticky-uppy-bits" is a fine way to refer to those types of things, and I use it all the time, thankyou very much!!

Along with: spinny-spinny-thingies, spikey-sharpie-hurty-things, bubble-butt-froglet-eye-things, reverse-flowing-long-curvy-things, and wibbly-wobbly-flappy-birdy-i-hate-this-f_cking-design-thingies... to name a few of course...
Aaah yes the wibbly wobbly doo dah which manages flow in the region of the flippy flappy thingy.
#aerogandalf

Just_a_fan

jjn9128 wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 20:57
Vyssion wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 20:00
jjn9128 wrote:

Aaah yes the wibbly wobbly doo dah which manages flow in the region of the flippy flappy thingy.
I see your flippy flappy things and give you the turbo encabulator:
“For a number of years now, work has been proceeding in order to bring perfection to the crudely conceived idea of a transmission that would not only supply inverse reactive current for use in unilateral phase detractors, but would also be capable of automatically synchronizing cardinal grammeters. Such an instrument is the turbo encabulator.

Now basically the only new principle involved is that instead of power being generated by the relative motion of conductors and fluxes, it is produced by the modial interaction of magneto-reluctance and capacitive diractance.

The original machine had a base plate of pre-famulated amulite surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two spurving bearings were in a direct line with the panametric fan. The latter consisted simply of six hydrocoptic marzlevanes, so fitted to the ambifacient lunar waneshaft that side fumbling was effectively prevented.

The main winding was of the normal lotus-o-delta type placed in panendermic semi-boloid slots of the stator, every seventh conductor being connected by a non-reversible tremie pipe to the differential girdle spring on the “up” end of the grammeters.

The turbo-encabulator has now reached a high level of development, and it’s being successfully used in the operation of novertrunnions. Moreover, whenever a forescent skor motion is required, it may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration.”
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

jjn9128

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 21:21
I see your flippy flappy things and give you the turbo encabulator:
I remember being shown that video in an engineering lecture :lol: though I can't for the life of me remember the purpose.
#aerogandalf

djos

Zynerji wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 14:23
I mean, just because DRS is on the cars, race director can just NOT activate it during the race if it gets out of hand with ez-passing. In other words, there is a sporting backstop for this tech regulation.
Historically, when DRS has proved too powerful (eg zone too long), it has been addressed for the next race. Race directors dont like to move the goal posts during a race - I dont see this changing next year.
"In downforce we trust"

Zynerji

djos wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 23:19
Zynerji wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 14:23
Historically, when DRS has proved too powerful (eg zone too long), it has been addressed for the next race. Race directors dont like to move the goal posts during a race - I dont see this changing next year.
I didn't mean DURING the race. They can just not turn it on in the first place.

RZS10

mzso wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:40
RZS10 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 15:18
There is no hole? Apart from the obvious one for the wheel gun of course.
Well, it was proportionally much smaller before:
This is from yesterday's video (bottom):

The hole is still just marginally bigger than the wheel nut, the cover is just very profiled and has that oversized CD stuck to it.

What would be the aero benefit of shaping the cover like an old school steel rim?

I wonder if that is the actual finalized design since the renders still just had completely flat covers (top) which also have a similar sized hole.

The render already had a few more details than the model, page79 viewtopic.php?p=985042#p985042 there's some attachy-adjusty bits.

But watching that video it's baffling how many details are still not yet decided, like the weight of certain elements or whether some element on the floor will be there or not, that's all stuff which probably has a major influence on the overall design, or not?

Like this part right here:

Stu

RZS10 wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 14:28
mzso wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:40
RZS10 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 15:18
There is no hole? Apart from the obvious one for the wheel gun of course.
Well, it was proportionally much smaller before:
This is from yesterday's video (bottom):
https://i.imgur.com/oVV8Hao.png

The hole is still just marginally bigger than the wheel nut, the cover is just very profiled and has that oversized CD stuck to it.

What would be the aero benefit of shaping the cover like an old school steel rim?
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/717 ... L1200_.jpg

I wonder if that is the actual finalized design since the renders still just had completely flat covers (top) which also have a similar sized hole.

The render already had a few more details than the model, page79 viewtopic.php?p=985042#p985042 there's some attachy-adjusty bits.

But watching that video it's baffling how many details are still not yet decided, like the weight of certain elements or whether some element on the floor will be there or not, that's all stuff which probably has a major imfluence on the overall design, or not?
That last paragraph…
When you consider the homologation date for design finalisation, it almost makes me wonder whether there will be another postponement!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

dans79

Stu wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 14:42
That last paragraph…
When you consider the homologation date for design finalisation, it almost makes me wonder whether there will be another postponement!
Honestly, I think it's being done intentionally to hinder the top teams as much as possible, as they want the grid to be as jumbled up as possible.
197 104 103 7