2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
OO7
OO7

Re: 2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

jjn9128 wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 12:12
dxpetrov wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 11:58
Probably it has been discussed before, apologies for that, but do we know what happens to rear wings during the season? Do they stay the same specs irrespective of downforce level requirements of different tracks?
No you can change wings - but what is presented for scrutineering has to be carried through a race - so no DF level changes after Friday AM.
What! You can't change D/F levels after the FP sessions?

mclaren111

OO7 wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 12:36
jjn9128 wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 12:12
dxpetrov wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 11:58
Probably it has been discussed before, apologies for that, but do we know what happens to rear wings during the season? Do they stay the same specs irrespective of downforce level requirements of different tracks?
No you can change wings - but what is presented for scrutineering has to be carried through a race - so no DF level changes after Friday AM.

:shock: :o :o :shock:

Stupidity.... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

jjn9128

OO7 wrote:
You can't change the car configuration - so the wing spec you run in the race has to be the same as scrutineering. You can change flap angles and try out different wings in practice but have to put on the scrutineering spec for parc ferme and beyond.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Stu

jjn9128 wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 12:42
OO7 wrote:
You can't change the car configuration - so the wing spec you run in the race has to be the same as scrutineering. You can change flap angles and try out different wings in practice but have to put on the scrutineering spec for parc ferme and beyond.
That does make sense, with a budget cap, to remove the ‘test-session’ element of free-practice.
Calculation, correlation, race.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

OO7
OO7

jjn9128 wrote:
OO7 wrote:
That's pretty silly in my opinion. The teams should be allowed to alter D/F levels (change rear wing specs) up until the cars leave the garage for Q1.

OO7
OO7

Stu wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 12:49
jjn9128 wrote:
OO7 wrote:
That does make sense, with a budget cap, to remove the ‘test-session’ element of free-practice.
Calculation, correlation, race.
With a budge cap, it should be up to the teams to manage their budgets as they see fit.

Tzk
Tzk

Where exactly is this stated? I had a look at the latest revision of the sporting regulations and found nothing obvious which bans wing changes before Q or sprint starts. Am i missing something?

I had a look at these:
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... -02-18.pdf

Just_a_fan

OO7 wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 12:51
jjn9128 wrote:
OO7 wrote:
That's pretty silly in my opinion. The teams should be allowed to alter D/F levels (change rear wing specs) up until the cars leave the garage for Q1.
They can. Parc ferme begins once the cars leave the pits in Q1.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

dxpetrov

Somehow I dont believe these wings would change much, if at all! It's not like before when u had the end plates and just be able to change piece in between. Even not sure if they would be able to change the wing angle. This all looks one single rigid structure.

djos

dxpetrov wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 13:15
Somehow I dont believe these wings would change much, if at all! It's not like before when u had the end plates and just be able to change piece in between. Even not sure if they would be able to change the wing angle. This all looks one single rigid structure.
Most teams can adjust the top two flaps or top flap without changing the wing.
"In downforce we trust"

OO7
OO7

Tzk wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 12:56
Where exactly is this stated? I had a look at the latest revision of the sporting regulations and found nothing obvious which bans wing changes before Q or sprint starts. Am i missing something?

I had a look at these:
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... -02-18.pdf
I can't find it either. :?:

jjn9128

Looks like it's been deleted from the latest version of the sporting regs
31.5 The bodywork (excluding radiators) of each car as presented for initial scrutineering will establish the Reference Specification and, with the exception of work permitted by Articles 5.4.2 j and v to x, the car must be returned to this specification before the start of P3. The procedure to establish conformity with this article is described in the Appendix to the Technical and Sporting Regulations.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

west52keep64

Do the regs permit a suspension keel? The volumes for bodywork would make it difficult, but could the keel be classed as part of the suspension arms?

Alternatively, could the front suspension arms connect to the splitter? Specifically the rear leg of the lower arms?

jjn9128

west52keep64 wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 16:21
Do the regs permit a suspension keel? The volumes for bodywork would make it difficult, but could the keel be classed as part of the suspension arms?

Alternatively, could the front suspension arms connect to the splitter? Specifically the rear leg of the lower arms?
Keels are aerodynamically inferior to joining the suspension to the sides of the tub high up - I don't think the rules prohibit a keel but it might be hard in the rule boxes...
#aerogandalf

godlameroso

The leading edge floor fences seem to have a best design, with only minor variations to work with the rest of the aero package. You want the outer fences to build as much pressure as possible, which is why the teams have a downward sloping outer edge. It gives you more surface area for the outer fence, and helps channel more air over the floor, it also helps raise the pressure on the outer strakes creating a greater pressure difference in the wider more open section. Then an inner strake that hugs the legality box to guide that fast low pressure air into the tunnel.

Saishū kōnā