Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sieper

Re: Red Bull RB18

gandharva wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 18:12
lio007 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 18:04
Maybe that's why they have to use the engine cover with cooling slots. :-)
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/static/img ... 079835.jpg
Im pretty sure the cooling outlets sit on a different panel that can be removed individually.
You are right, you can actually see the repairs (behind the oracle lettering in the blue part) the best, if you zoom in a bit on the picture posted.

The panel just got ripped from the added pressure of the rearward facing camera mounted there.

organic

gandharva wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 18:12
lio007 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 18:04
Maybe that's why they have to use the engine cover with cooling slots. :-)
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/static/img ... 079835.jpg
Im pretty sure the cooling outlets sit on a different panel that can be removed individually.
Agreed. You can still see the damage on the L of ORACLE on the image with the louvres

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Pretty much perfect extension of the diffuser roof

scheffers
scheffers

DiogoBrand

Vanja #66 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 13:28
If there are people interested, I could make an effort and examine the RB18-style sidepods as well. Although it's fairly clear what their design direction is and what they are doing in different areas...
Please correct me if I'm wrong since my CFD eyes aren't very well trained, but to me it seems like RB's design is focused on pushing the tyre wake away with the undercut while feeding the top of the diffuser with the air that comes over the sidepods, as opposed to Aston that feeds the top of the diffuser with the air that goes into the undercut.
Is that more or less it?

Vanja #66

DiogoBrand wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 19:14
Please correct me if I'm wrong since my CFD eyes aren't very well trained, but to me it seems like RB's design is focused on pushing the tyre wake away with the undercut while feeding the top of the diffuser with the air that comes over the sidepods, as opposed to Aston that feeds the top of the diffuser with the air that goes into the undercut.
Is that more or less it?
All that, yes, and
-pushing air to rear tyre to reduce drag
-using intake lower lip for downforce generation
-using upper floor surface gained by undercut for downforce generation
-various secondary effects
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Flows looks clean as a whistle and as attached as a new born.

jjn9128

my thought on red bull beam wing
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

OO7
OO7

RB look like they've manage to raise the rear crash structure/gearbox section within the diffuser, so it occupies less volume than others.

scheffers
scheffers

OO7 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 19:45
RB look like they've manage to raise the rear crash structure/gearbox section within the diffuser, so it occupies less volume than others.
Can't believe they have more volume in the diffusor because of that. I recon all are on the legal limit there with conventional pull rod. Otherwise there would be more pushrods, just my two cents..

Tim.Wright

From a first approximation, I don't see the anti-dive as being so high. The lower wishbone is also tilted back as well which reduces the anti-dive effect drastically.

Last edited by Tim.Wright on 23 Feb 2022, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
Not the engineer at Force India

OO7
OO7

scheffers wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 19:54
OO7 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 19:45
Can't believe they have more volume in the diffusor because of that. I recon all are on the legal limit there with conventional pull rod. Otherwise there would be more pushrods, just my two cents..
It's difficult to see, but take a look at these:
Last edited by OO7 on 23 Feb 2022, 21:49, edited 2 times in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Tim.Wright wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 20:07
From a first approximation, I don't see the anti-dive as being so high. The lower wishbone is also tilted back as well which reduces the anti-dive effect.

https://dm2306files.storage.live.com/y4 ... pmode=none
Nice post!

ringo

Redbull has a risk of overheating. The area under the oracle logo will be fried quite often.
They are pushing the limits for sure. Normally the radiator is tilted forward in the sidepods, with the sidepod having reasonable volume for other equipment and for hot air to flow around and out.
This design is as if all the equipment was crammed together then they scalloped that volume that's normally before the radiators.
Fastest car on the grid for sure, based on the floor, the floor vortex generator end plates, the sidepod wing, the undercut, the beam wing, the diffuser, the rear brake ducts... But most reliable and driveable? I think that is the bigger mystery with this machine.
The Mercedes car appears more conservative, but it has equally small sidepods, but most of all the design seems more robust and it just appears to be less aero sensitive.
This indeed is a very extreme and precise design. Nothing was spared. Even the front wheel hub and pull rods are extremely clean and light and low drag.
For Sure!!

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

ringo wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 20:47
Redbull has a risk of overheating. The area under the oracle logo will be fried quite often.
They are pushing the limits for sure. Normally the radiator is tilted forward in the sidepods, with the sidepod having reasonable volume for other equipment and for hot air to flow around and out.
This design is as if all the equipment was crammed together then they scalloped that volume that's normally before the radiators.
Fastest car on the grid for sure, based on the floor, the floor vortex generator end plates, the sidepod wing, the undercut, the beam wing, the diffuser, the rear brake ducts... But most reliable and driveable? I think that is the bigger mystery with this machine.
The Mercedes car appears more conservative, but it has equally small sidepods, but most of all the design seems more robust and it just appears to be less aero sensitive.
This indeed is a very extreme and precise design. Nothing was spared. Even the front wheel hub and pull rods are extremely clean and light and low drag.
Without trying to sound facetious, what experience are you basing your opinion on?