2022 Winter Testing Part 2: Bahrain International Circuit 10-12th March

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
chrisc90

Re: 2022 Winter Testing Part 2: Bahrain International Circuit 10-12th March

mzso wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 20:43
chrisc90 wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 20:19
How do they get away with front wings moving so much? I thought there was rulings brought in last year to combat this sort of thing?
They targetet Red Bull and rear wings after Mercedes complained, but did nothing of the front wings which Marko complained about. Not a good look for the FIA...
I mean if there are rules for flexing bodywork....they should be applied. Front wing flex is no harder to enforce than the flex on a rear wing. The merc rear wing was still flexing on the main plane behind the DRS at the end of the season.

shamyakovic

mzso wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
How do they get away with front wings moving so much? I thought there was rulings brought in last year to combat this sort of thing?
They targetet Red Bull and rear wings after Mercedes complained, but did nothing of the front wings which Marko complained about. Not a good look for the FIA...
FIA have also introduced another new rear wing tests after multiple phantom score marks and ghost chasing by redbull.

The front wing flexes for every team. Marko forgot to ask his team that if their own front wing flexes or not, after it became apparent that redbulls front wing also flexes Markowent quite and didn't chase it & moved on to sensor placements in pluenum followed by Merc blocking Albon to Williams and then hating on Hamilton/Toto and then followed rear wing main plain flex and on and on.

RZS10

chrisc90 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoYjLSnpxLI

Should the FIA believe that it's too much they could interfere, however so far all new FWs behave similarly, at least from what i saw - there will be more shots from nose cameras this weekend ...

I visualized it for RB&Merc
viewtopic.php?p=1041358#p1041358
Last edited by RZS10 on 16 Mar 2022, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

Mara Nello

shamyakovic wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 21:03
mzso wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
FIA have also introduced another new rear wing tests after multiple phantom score marks and ghost chasing by redbull.

The front wing flexes for every team. Marko forgot to ask his team that if their own front wing flexes or not, after it became apparent that redbulls front wing also flexes Markowent quite and didn't chase it & moved on to sensor placements in pluenum followed by Merc blocking Albon to Williams and then hating on Hamilton/Toto and then followed rear wing main plain flex and on and on.
That doesn't look like just a bit of "flexing" of some elements. it looks more like a splitted fw. the fw seems to be cutten right at the adjustor

shamyakovic

Mara Nello wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 21:13
shamyakovic wrote:
mzso wrote:

That doesn't look like just a bit of "flexing" of some elements. it looks more like a splitted fw. the fw seems to be cutten right at the adjustor
Maybe it broke?

Stu

shamyakovic wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 20:29
chrisc90 wrote:

There is nothing brought for the front wing, it was for the rear wing.
There are similar reports of front wing flex on all cars.
There are tests scheduled for the whole front wing structure this year, last year was just on the main plane.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

RZS10

And they added something that more explicitly allows them to change/add tests to the regs, right?

And that wing isn't broken, it's where they adjust the angle + the teams cleverly used it to get steps into the wings + they use the adjusters as vortex generators

chrisc90

I believe the Merc was running a 'split' front wing. At least from what ive read/seen since the last week of testing.

Hopefully there will be more tests. It shouldnt be hard for the teams to make a wing that doesnt flex as I bet some of them are moving a lot at higher speeds. its odd that given the camera angles and rules regarding bodywork flex. (2mm??) it should be very easily to enforce. Same as what they did with the rear wings flexing backwards.

Vanja #66

Depends where the flex is measured. Never doubt the ingenuity of engineers and technicians during scrutineering to conceal the intended lack of rule compliance.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Mara Nello

shamyakovic wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 21:17
Mara Nello wrote:
shamyakovic wrote:

Maybe it broke?
No I don't think so. I think the split is on purpose. Also the Sky guy mentioned the "split" in testing in the moment the front camera was shown on live tv

AeroDynamic

Serious question comparing the flexing between front wings and rear wings:

given how close the camera is to the front wing planes we are scrutinising for flexing.. and the rear camera facing the rear wing is obviously at least an arms length or more away..

isn't the rear wing flexing in inches and the front wing flexing in.. less inches?

at the distance scale of the cameras, the amount of deflections on the wings don't seem comparable to me.

Body work has to flex to some extent but perhaps the amount the RB rear wing flexed last year, was too much (worth more time?). I Wonder how big the flexing difference would look if the front wing camera was as far away from that wing plane as the rear camera is from the RWing

also, that video comparing the wings.. the Mercedes FW flexes a bit more, but wasn't it also a very different shape in construction? The RBR front wing planes did not dip low into the end plate. They went upwards opposite of Mercedes / Ferrari. Be interested to see a comparison between Mercedes/Ferrari (similar shaped wings)
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 16 Mar 2022, 21:43, edited 2 times in total.

shamyakovic

Mara Nello wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 21:29
shamyakovic wrote:
Mara Nello wrote:

Maybe it broke?
No I don't think so. I think the split is on purpose. Also the Sky guy mentioned the "split" in testing in the moment the front camera was shown on live tv
We may have to wait till actual race weekend where they have to go through scruitineery.

chrisc90

shamyakovic wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 21:41
Mara Nello wrote:
shamyakovic wrote:

Maybe it broke?
We may have to wait till actual race weekend where they have to go through scruitineery.
Thing is teams self scrutineer themselves these days anyhow. So vastly 'pointless'. In a realistic world, there would be scrutineers looking over EVERY car. Not just the one they choose and never one of the others.

shamyakovic

chrisc90 wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 21:43
shamyakovic wrote:
Mara Nello wrote:

Thing is teams self scrutineer themselves these days anyhow. So vastly 'pointless'. In a realistic world, there would be scrutineers looking over EVERY car. Not just the one they choose and never one of the others.
In testing there is no scrutineering, so teams can run various settings which are not legal. Thats why u see aero rakes on cars during testing and nothing similar on a race weekend.
So its pointless to see if a car is legal or not in testing.

chrisc90

shamyakovic wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 21:47
chrisc90 wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 21:43
shamyakovic wrote:

In testing there is no scrutineering, so teams can run various settings which are not legal. Thats why u see aero rakes on cars during testing and nothing similar on a race weekend.
So its pointless to see if a car is legal or not in testing.
Of course you can run whatever you want in testing. But my comment was based around race weekends.