Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
S D

Re: Ferrari F1-75

Andi76 wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 21:24
LM10 wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 20:00
Big Mangalhit wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 19:40

Impressive how people always find a need to develop a cult of personality and try to put all the credit into one big name instead of the generally more efficient teamwork of thousands of names. Even in the history of science we tend to remember only the big names and forget the hours of work of students and other low paygrade workers that make it possible.
Newey still has a big effect I'm sure. That guy is a portable wind tunnel. He just stands in front of the car and stares at it for minutes, visualizing how the air flows.
Also, the fact that he literally still uses a pen and a paper, might be a kind of an advantage in times of limited CFD/wind tunnel/simulation/whatever times? Just some wild thought. :lol:
He has! Of course F1 is about teamwork. But if someone really believes that its a conicident that Williams stopped winning championships after Newey left and the team he went to(McLaren) suddenly started winning, he is wrong. The same with Brawn/Byrne. Benetton stopped fighting for titles, but the team they went to started winning titles...i could continue with Honda, Red Bull, Mercedes, but i do not think thats necessary. Of course the hours of work of lesser paygrade workers makes it possible, but its the technical management and leadership that makes the difference. They make all the things go in the right direction. They improve the teamwork, making sure everyone works in one direction, gets heard so that a "real team" develops and they decide where to go etc. If one calls that "developing a cult of personality" - fine. I can live with that. But its a fact that people like Newey, Brawn, Byrne, Costa, Allison(to name just a few) enjoyed such a sucess for a reason. And i do not think its wrong to give credit where credit is due. And i think as its not widely known that Rory Byrne had influence on the F1-75 - its just fair to emphasise that. And also that i do not think its a coincident that Ferrari suddenly is sucessfull again after Rory Byrne was involved in the design of a car...
I would like to come at this from a different angle. I too believe that it is not coincidental that greatness follows these guys. I also don't diminish the contributions of the rest of the team. However, did anyone consider that when these individuals join a team they attract other great people as well. Engineers who want to work with them and learn from them. Conversely when they leave many other good people leave as well.

We see this in other fields as well, a great tennis player in one country attracts other athletes in that country to choose tennis instead of some other sport. A great mathematician appears in one university and suddenly many top mathematicians appear. Talent attracts talent. When that talent leaves others leave as well.

Just my opinion.

dialtone
dialtone

S D wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 04:49
Andi76 wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 21:24
LM10 wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 20:00

Newey still has a big effect I'm sure. That guy is a portable wind tunnel. He just stands in front of the car and stares at it for minutes, visualizing how the air flows.
Also, the fact that he literally still uses a pen and a paper, might be a kind of an advantage in times of limited CFD/wind tunnel/simulation/whatever times? Just some wild thought. :lol:
He has! Of course F1 is about teamwork. But if someone really believes that its a conicident that Williams stopped winning championships after Newey left and the team he went to(McLaren) suddenly started winning, he is wrong. The same with Brawn/Byrne. Benetton stopped fighting for titles, but the team they went to started winning titles...i could continue with Honda, Red Bull, Mercedes, but i do not think thats necessary. Of course the hours of work of lesser paygrade workers makes it possible, but its the technical management and leadership that makes the difference. They make all the things go in the right direction. They improve the teamwork, making sure everyone works in one direction, gets heard so that a "real team" develops and they decide where to go etc. If one calls that "developing a cult of personality" - fine. I can live with that. But its a fact that people like Newey, Brawn, Byrne, Costa, Allison(to name just a few) enjoyed such a sucess for a reason. And i do not think its wrong to give credit where credit is due. And i think as its not widely known that Rory Byrne had influence on the F1-75 - its just fair to emphasise that. And also that i do not think its a coincident that Ferrari suddenly is sucessfull again after Rory Byrne was involved in the design of a car...
I would like to come at this from a different angle. I too believe that it is not coincidental that greatness follows these guys. I also don't diminish the contributions of the rest of the team. However, did anyone consider that when these individuals join a team they attract other great people as well. Engineers who want to work with them and learn from them. Conversely when they leave many other good people leave as well.

We see this in other fields as well, a great tennis player in one country attracts other athletes in that country to choose tennis instead of some other sport. A great mathematician appears in one university and suddenly many top mathematicians appear. Talent attracts talent. When that talent leaves others leave as well.

Just my opinion.
Leaders like them don't do all the work, certainly not all the time, but they provide at least a few things to the team:
1. break ties when there are disagreements on technical topics
2. allow people to take risks by shouldering at least some of the responsibility for the choice
3. they can help drive the creative process, for example by providing initial ideas or sparks, or by guiding technical discussions
4. they establish processes that lead to the optimal outcome

I agree that it's not just them deserving praise, the team that worked under them was capable of leveraging their knowledge to create something that worked. But to me seems natural that great leaders help their teams thrive and perform more than they would on their own.

And I agree with you, they attract talent that wants to work with them.

dialtone
dialtone

Posted this in the GP topic:

Fastest lap from LEC and VER in the race.

I suppose there's 2 ways to read this:
1) LEC had plenty left in the car to go faster if he wanted/needed, through the race he was always recovering energy at the end of straights, I didn't see much of the same from VER actually except main straight. This would lead me to believe that the race was never really in danger.

another way of
2) VER's engine is capable of recovering energy without hurting top speed as much. This would seem a bit more unrealistic, but of course would be a big plus in Jeddah if it's there.

Anyway F1-75 carries a lot of speed through T6-7 and T12 compared to RB-18, I think this shows that RB-18 was generating less downforce which caused their tire deg to increase.

IMHO RB-18 is a great car, but F1-75 is marginally better in a bunch of areas that allows it to sacrifice less to compromises.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 05:03

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/vv-d ... onless.png

1) LEC had plenty left in the car to go faster if he wanted/needed, through the race he was always recovering energy at the end of straights, I didn't see much of the same from VER actually except main straight. This would lead me to believe that the race was never really in danger.

another way of
2) VER's engine is capable of recovering energy without hurting top speed as much. This would seem a bit more unrealistic, but of course would be a big plus in Jeddah if it's there.

Anyway F1-75 carries a lot of speed through T6-7 and T12 compared to RB-18, I think this shows that RB-18 was generating less downforce which caused their tire deg to increase.

IMHO RB-18 is a great car, but F1-75 is marginally better in a bunch of areas that allows it to sacrifice less to compromises.
Not all cars are at the minimum weight so the cornering deficit and tire deg is not wholly a result of downforce.

dialtone
dialtone

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 05:12
dialtone wrote:

another way of

Not all cars are at the minimum weight so the cornering deficit and tire deg is not wholly a result of downforce.
AFAIK Ferrari and RedBull were both considered overweight, RedBull by about 5-10kg more than Ferrari. Now people say RedBull lost 7-10kg since testing so it's probably on the same level with Ferrari. But nobody really provided much proof of this aside from some rumors.

Sevach
Sevach

dialtone wrote:

another way of

To me the engine behaviour seem a big positive, Leclerc did the fastest lap on normal race mode, Verstappen looks closer to push mode using more energy.

How nice Ferrari was on tires is the big takeaway of this race, even if Verstappen beats them in qualy Ferrari will have a fighting chance.
At least on rear limited tracks.

ringo

The harvesting at the end of the straight maybe what allows them to deploy so much in acceleration exiting the corners.
It's a PU strategy more than it is leclerc relaxing.
Maybe wastegates fully closed and compressor load reduced some how to put as much enerty into the mguh Who knows. Then the mguk comes in under braking shortly after.
For Sure!!

levidrugi
levidrugi

This years Ferraris is an excellent car, but the way LEC used it to his advantage must be appreciated.

Look at his lap charts below.

Lap 18 in red (VER in DRS range) vs. lap 27, 28, 29, 30 (where LEC had clean air).

It speaks a tail of a VERY clever Leclerc:
  • Turn 1, keeps it in 7th gear at about 280kph to let VER through,
  • Charges through to the lead on the next straight.
  • Realises VER is still within DRS through turn 5-10, so he eases off again on the back straight and the penultimate straight so he can let VER through again on the main straight.
  • Repeats this tactic until VER looses his calm and locks up/makes an error.

This man will be a legend

wowgr8
wowgr8

Those slowdowns were not intentional his energy store was depleted on the main straight. And the slowdown on the back straight would've been because he was harvesting more, you can see it throughout the lap

bomskok101
bomskok101

Do we know whether Ferrari are currently running with a slightly compromised set-up with them adding more wing for this race? I’ve been trying to sift through reports etc to find out whether they are able to run at the optimum ride height for the best floor performance, or whether they still have to compromise to an extent due to porpoising?

dialtone
dialtone

bomskok101 wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 08:41
Do we know whether Ferrari are currently running with a slightly compromised set-up with them adding more wing for this race? I’ve been trying to sift through reports etc to find out whether they are able to run at the optimum ride height for the best floor performance, or whether they still have to compromise to an extent due to porpoising?
They are compromising yes, you can see the struts on the floor edge in the back for example. They will have a new floor to fix porpoising in 3-4 races they said, so far afaik they are running higher than they'd like and stiffer than they'd like.

bomskok101
bomskok101

dialtone wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 08:50
bomskok101 wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 08:41
They are compromising yes, you can see the struts on the floor edge in the back for example. They will have a new floor to fix porpoising in 3-4 races they said, so far afaik they are running higher than they'd like and stiffer than they'd like.
Thanks! Will be interesting to see how much more performance they can unlock when they don’t have to compromise with added wing and stiffer suspension...

FDD
FDD

Leclerc mention something about the battery, I can't understand clearly does he have some problems with recharging.

https ://www.facebook.com/Formula1/videos/1158260691652541

gluon
gluon

FDD wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 10:56
Leclerc mention something about the battery, I can't understand clearly does he have some problems with recharging.

https ://www.facebook.com/Formula1/videos/1158260691652541
Yup, he said:

"I was struggling with the state of charge (the battery), I couldn't use it (to defend)."

This basically confirms the first theory of the user who posted the telemetry chart above. Not a nominal deployment from Leclerc and like he said, that was why Verstappen was catching him so fast from a long way behind even.

levidrugi
levidrugi

Wondering if the Ferrari/FIA agreement sealed at the end of 2020 contained anything about the fuel? Perhaps running on E10 in 2021 already? They seem to tackle the new fuel way better than Merc and Honda.