2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
lh13
lh13

Re: 2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 25 - 27

ringo wrote:
lh13 wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:42
You're judging Max based on 1 quali session while Max was clearly faster last quali, and race than Perez. He was fatser here all weekend long and struggled with tyre temps in Q3. Perez got pole fair and square but your 'opinion' of writing off Max is based on 'nothing' and wording of your post wasn't great either.

Just my opinion.
You are getting emotional. They both have zero points. A driver is only as good as his last race.
It is my opinion that Checo is just as quick at the moment and can leave this weekend with more points.
They both have zero points and you're talking about making one of them the #1 driver. Take this crap elsewhere as its not worth discussing here.

ringo

silver wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:48
ringo wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:32
Magicsenna_41 wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:26
This quote deleted. Mods
Maybe it is Perez year to shine. He has done his homework and can get more from the car. Redbull may need to make Checo the #1 driver now and let Max support him by fighting Charles and Sainz.

Max is too miserable. 2 races now he is complaining. He is almost like a fish out of water. 2021 had the perfect environment for him to thrive. Now everything has changed I am curious to see what happens if Checo has more points than him after 5 races in.
It's a changed day! Hamilton out in Q3, beaten handsomely by Russell and Max beaten in quali by Perez. Some changes are good for F1. It's amazing to see the two Ferrari boys being so close in qualifying battle.
Yes and this okay. It is your opinion and that's fine. George did well today. <personal stuff removed>
For Sure!!

Stu

Mchamilton wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:38
NicoS wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:31
Mchamilton wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:24
"Just struggled with the balance of the car. And not where I want to be," he said.

"It's something in the set-up. It was looking good in FP3 and we tried to progress in a similar direction.

"Maybe we went too far and then the car was undriveable. It's so nervous."

- Lewis Hamilton
poor driver feedback?
Seriously? From Lewis Hamilton?
Back on mute you go.
“Poor” could be considered to be “incorrect”, which if any set-up changes were made as a result of driver feedback (and then didn’t work as expected) could be correct. Maybe it was a team decision, maybe it was tyre pressures/temps. The whole grid is learning about what the cars want, not all will get it right all of the time.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

lh13
lh13

NicoS wrote:
silver wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:48
ringo wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:32

Maybe it is Perez year to shine. He has done his homework and can get more from the car. Redbull may need to make Checo the #1 driver now and let Max support him by fighting Charles and Sainz.

Max is too miserable. 2 races now he is complaining. He is almost like a fish out of water. 2021 had the perfect environment for him to thrive. Now everything has changed I am curious to see what happens if Checo has more points than him after 5 races in.
It's a changed day! Hamilton out in Q3, beaten handsomely by Russell and Max beaten in quali by Perez. Some changes are good for F1. It's amazing to see the two Ferrari boys being so close in qualifying battle.
Definitely looks like Jorge is starting to build the team around him.
He seems to give more precise feedback, allowing his setup to progress in the right direction. It's now up to the team to support him more. With his help they will win again!
I don't think it is fair to judge this after 1 bad quali. Hamilton was clearly faster last race. They went for a setup that might have worked well in FP3 but didn't in quali.

Lewis was clearly unhappy and apologised to the team on the radio as well. I think he simply took a gamble and it didn't pay off.
Last edited by lh13 on 26 Mar 2022, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.

RZS10

lh13 wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 22:02
They went for a setup that might have worked well in FP3 but didn't in quali.
They seemingly took the direction of that setup change they did in FP3 even further between sessions and it made the car horrid to drive - so they clearly don't know what works and what doesn't ... yet (?)

search

Tyres left for the race:

really no idea what the best strategy looks like at all, though.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Stu wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 22:01
Mchamilton wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:38
NicoS wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:31

poor driver feedback?
Seriously? From Lewis Hamilton?
Back on mute you go.
“Poor” could be considered to be “incorrect”, which if any set-up changes were made as a result of driver feedback (and then didn’t work as expected) could be correct. Maybe it was a team decision, maybe it was tyre pressures/temps. The whole grid is learning about what the cars want, not all will get it right all of the time.
The quote says they tried to go further in the direction they went in fp3, which had worked. So without doing it, they would never know if it would work or not. Clearly didnt work lol

lh13
lh13

RZS10 wrote:
lh13 wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 22:02
They went for a setup that might have worked well in FP3 but didn't in quali.
They seemingly took the direction of that setup change they did in FP3 even further between sessions and it made the car horrid to drive - so they clearly don't know what works and what doesn't ... yet (?)
Seems so. Perhaps the car responded well to changes in FP3, and then they went overboard with those changes before quali. As Russell said, there's so much going on with their car, it is very difficult to figure out what works and when!

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

ringo wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 22:06
Some posters here getting hot under the collar because of one bad session for Max. I have reported personal attacks to the mods. At no point did I call anyone stupid or said they were talking nonsense; even if they were.

Checo was doing well from the practice sessions. He was nailing the sectors and his runs did look visually smoother to me.
If he gets a good start and manages his tyres well, which we know he can do he can win this race.

Lewis will have to use George's setup. He has used Valteri's in the past when he does go the wrong way. He would need a of luck luck to get on the podium, but for some reason I think he can snatch a P-6 from this race.
Well, yeah everything is open, especially for this race. I think LH only has to revert to the set-up he had on FPs, it was working OK-ish. Chances for a SC are high, so starting from the pitlane is not a bad choice.

I wonder if tyre preparation did the job for Max (except for the magnificent job of Checo)? I've barely seen him in the past having two slow outlaps.

Also, a very good job from Alpine.

lh13
lh13

ringo wrote:Some posters here getting hot under the collar because of one bad session for Max. I have reported personal attacks to the mods. At no point did I call anyone stupid or said they were talking nonsense; even if they were.

Checo was doing well from the practice sessions. He was nailing the sectors and his runs did look visually smoother to me.
If he gets a good start and manages his tyres well, which we know he can do he can win this race.

Lewis will have to use George's setup. He has used Valteri's in the past when he does go the wrong way. He would need a of luck luck to get on the podium, but for some reason I think he can snatch a P-6 from this race.
Perez will absolutely need to nail the start. Is he a good 'starter'? I haven't paid attention to his starts in the recent past, but I guess he isn't known to gain most positions at the start.

silver
silver

<personal stuff removed>
Anyway let's focus on the race. I think Leclerc might make an aggressive start tomorrow to take the inside and push Perez and Verstappen might simulate it to push Sainz.

search

Schumacher will not take part in tomorrow's race. Only one Haas will be at the start

Unc1eM0nty

lh13 wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:56
Start will be crucial for Perez, obviously, and even more so for Ferraris. If Perez can hold back Ferraris, it'll help Max to get Ferraris. I bet he'll get Sainz rather quickly if this is the case.
If they all hold position at the start it's going to be quite a queue behind Checo

dialtone
dialtone

PER v LEC quali

LEC high DF, PER low DF. I think the engines are almost equal in power right now. PER nailed the last corner and by getting on the throttle faster he was a fraction ahead of LEC in acceleration which allowed him to bring it home.

Good stuff.

LM10
LM10

dialtone wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 22:37
PER v LEC quali

https://i.imgur.com/IRjoMeg.png

LEC high DF, PER low DF. I think the engines are almost equal in power right now. PER nailed the last corner and by getting on the throttle faster he was a fraction ahead of LEC in acceleration which allowed him to bring it home.

Good stuff.
That’s some serious pace difference at cornering in favor of Ferrari.