2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
silver
silver

Re: 2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 25 - 27

Mogster wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:34
proteus wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:19
Mogster wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 20:38

There’s nothing really at stake at the moment.
How not? What driver would take it slow at the start, because there are still 20+ races to go? The fight is on when the first lights are turned off.
It didn’t really brew up last year till R10. It was clear to everyone then Lewis had to finish in front of Max. Both are relatively happy to take P1/P2 at this point, it’s a very very long season.

I do think it’s easier to race wheel to wheel in these 2022 cars in med/slow corners though.
Problems started from the race 1 last year when Hamilton was consistently gaining by running wide on turn 4 in Bahrain which ultimately contributed to him keeping ahead and it moved into ignited mode when he put his front wing to Verstappen's rear in the turn 1 chicane in Imola. Contrary to that, Verstappen hasn't done anything like that at the start of the race in either of the races so far and kept it clean by leaving space for the lead car. These are subtle things, but the signs so far are different. What happens as they continue to trade off racing punches is anybody's guess.

chrisc90

Im shocked the pit entry wasnt instantly closed given the position of the cars.

jz11
jz11

Big Tea wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:09
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 20:58
lh13 wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 20:50
It is legal if you keep your nose behind. Even if your nose gets in front for a second and then back again quickly, it'll be alright.
I think they should clamp down on this… It’s just poor sportsmanship if you ask me and for sure getting an unfair advantage… (good thing no-one asks me anything)…
They can not without changing the rules, even then it would be difficult. They need to make it plain that if the car gets 1 inch of its nose in front for 1 second it is a penalty, then let the drivers decide. Just a tap or lift if you want to chance it
that would be one of the dumbest things ever, SC restart is part of a racing skill, there is a game being played by the lead AND the following cars, the lead car is trying to slow everyone down, so when the reaction game is played, they gain the most, and the following car is trying to bait the lead car into acceleration when it is backing off and/or trying to guess when the lead car will make its move

I personally think that VSC already has robbed some of the action from the races, and preventing restart games would make these periods even duller

I know there is an opinion that SC periods ruin racing, because usually it gives following cars an advantage on the leader, but those sour grapes usually start moaning when their guy happens to lose out

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

That reminds me of a quote from Arrested Development: "It's one banana, Michael. What could it cost, $10?" :lol:

Sieper

The hate for Max is strong here.

A stonker of a race. Not sure if I like the new formula yet, if you loose grip you make a big step and that is dangerous, but the first two races where worthwhile.

HPD

taperoo2k wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:22
Charles seems much calmer and relaxed in the car compared to Max who should have kept his head down rather than complaining about Charles cutting the pit entry line or seeming to be too quick on near the end "That's not fair".
Looks like you didn't see the last few years. These comments are part of the sport (unfortunately).
Now wars are fought on the track and off the track. Ferrari better get used to it if it wants to fight for the championship.

F1NAC

Gillian wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:33
chrisc90 wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:27
taperoo2k wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:22

Way too early and tbh out of the two ? Charles seems much calmer and relaxed in the car compared to Max who should have kept his head down rather than complaining about Charles cutting the pit entry line or seeming to be too quick on near the end "That's not fair". I think if there is one criticism I would make of Max it's his expectation that other drivers will get out of his way when he makes an aggressive overtake. I expect that when Charles does get his elbows out with Max, Max won't be as full of praise for Charles as he is at the moment. Fireworks there later in the season.
I think its right that Max can bring up points like the ERS lights not working, or potential cutting the pit line. Its simply alerting the team to possible problems that may/may not need investigating. Perfectly fine of max to do so.

Was Carlos also the one who should have kept his head down instead of complaining about the pit exit with Perez?
Exactly.

And to add, Leclerc already got his elbows out far and wide... Just look at the restart for example. Verstappen putting the pressure on him and Leclerc just runs him wide. No complaining from Verstappen about that.
he didn't ran him off the circuit... Since when is prohibited to "run someone wide"? well Verstappen then shouldn't be side by side then...

2 times in a row his tactics failed..

chrisc90

Sieper wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:46
The hate for Max is strong here.
Yep, very evident. All the front runners had a lovely race. Nothing at all to really report (outside of the yellow flag infringements - possibly). Only other thing was Perez, but given the positioning of the cars I think its total fair game. The team sorted it out which is the proper way to do it.

chrisc90

F1NAC wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:49
well Verstappen then shouldn't be side by side then...

Nothing wrong with being alongside....the rules are that you cannot overtake. Unless Max puts his car in front, as in a actual overtake, which regulation prevents you from being alongside?

Great racecraft in my opinion

Gillian
Gillian

F1NAC wrote:
Gillian wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:33
chrisc90 wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:27

I think its right that Max can bring up points like the ERS lights not working, or potential cutting the pit line. Its simply alerting the team to possible problems that may/may not need investigating. Perfectly fine of max to do so.

Was Carlos also the one who should have kept his head down instead of complaining about the pit exit with Perez?
Exactly.

And to add, Leclerc already got his elbows out far and wide... Just look at the restart for example. Verstappen putting the pressure on him and Leclerc just runs him wide. No complaining from Verstappen about that.
he didn't ran him off the circuit... Since when is prohibited to "run someone wide"? well Verstappen then shouldn't be side by side then...

Ran him wide isn't the same thing as ran him off the circuit. And not saying it was wrong, it was smart.

F1NAC

chrisc90 wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:50
F1NAC wrote:
well Verstappen then shouldn't be side by side then...

Nothing wrong with being alongside....the rules are that you cannot overtake. Unless Max puts his car in front, as in a actual overtake, which regulation prevents you from being alongside?

Great racecraft in my opinion
i'm not saying he shouldn't be there like it is prohibited. I was reffering on a part of previous post when user mentioned that Verstappen didn't complain when Leclerc ran him wide. nvm

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Great comeback from RB, I am under the impression they had the best pace today at the end of the day. Great fight between the two, of course Verstappen will be extra careful, in contrast to last year, he has more to lose now from a potential contact, but both him and Leclerc were magnificent.

Also, this RB is really like a rocket on the straights. Sure, they chose a low-DF wing, but I think it is a bit more efficient under DRS as well? Especially at that back straight, he was gaining massively on Ferrari.

Perez was really screwed by that SC, but am I the only one feeling he could have done better? He never put pressure on Sainz, same as Bahrain. And this time RB had the slightly better car. The gap was constantly above 2.5ish seconds.

ringo

saviour stivala wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 09:12
digitalrurouni wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 08:26
ringo wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 23:52

Charles doing a little left foot braking as well.. interesting.
Don't F1 drivers always left foot brake?
Since the 1970 they have.
Well yes they do. I meant applying throttle with brake. It's not common or is not the fastest way to drive theoretically.
For Sure!!

epo
epo

Neuron wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:09
PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:03
Does anyone else notice that Max races much much cleaner this year? Champion now make him take less risks?
https://i.imgur.com/4dkvXA3.jpeg

I assume it's fake ;)

IMO - it is just too early. When Max and Charles will be very close with points, from the middle of the season they will crash each other etc. same as Max and Lewis did past year. It's normal.
You have to think about Hamilton and his relationship with Rosberg, Vettel and Alonso when they were fighting for the WC... The mind games the guy plays make you loose any respect for him.

ringo

Good race. Sad Checo was just unlucky but he could have ran away easily at the front without the Latifi sweepstakes.
The redbull did have the pace this race and Horner new it was coming to them and it did.
Leclerc did his best but you could see the ferarri did not have the composure to increase the gap to redbull.
I waa hopong Charles would win, but he didnt have enough tricks to fool Max so many times without him realizing what to do.
And at the end of the day Charles got lucky because he was gifted the lead by the safety car.
Max did his usual today but the ferrari does make him look more ordinary. He wasnt really able to make a dent all race until the second safety car.
Sainz disappointed. He just doesnt have the pace of his teammate. And i know deep down he is happy Charles did not win today.

Mercedes ran a respectable race. George had a really good first set of laps of usual.
Hamilton raced well but got unlucky with the vsc and the other safety cars. He could have finished higher than tenth but at least he was able to maintain a little points scoring streak.

Haas is really good. The car manages the tyres well and is fast. Mercedes need to beat them before they can think of fighting ferrari and redbull. And mercedes pitstops are horrible.
For Sure!!