2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Zynerji

Re: 2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 25 - 27

I feel Perez can win if he can get out of DRS range by lap 3.

2022 is shaping up nicely!

e30ernest
e30ernest

I'd love Perez to win, but I wouldn't discount Leclerc and Sainz though. If Verstappen doesn't overtake the Ferraris to protect Perez then Perez will have a tough time fighting 2 Ferraris.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Spoutnik wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 03:25
ringo wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 02:35
Spoutnik wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 01:52

It will not change anything on the short run as it's not a big gap, and Verstappen is still the number one driver and the WC.
It will change if the gap extend, halfway through the season maybe, but I can't see RB doing a Ferrari 2008 with Verstappen...
This car seems to suit Checo's style. So if he keeps dialing it in, he will continue to challenge for wins. His driving style is very unusual, from what Jenson Button says as former teammates, so the sweetspot he has in the car may be hard to copy in Max's. I think this driver pairing will be most interesting if Perez does convert this pole into good race pace and the win.
I hope the team give him the support tomorrow. Redbull need to win this race to break ferrari's momentum.
I am dissapointed in Haas. Shumacher could have been in q3 with this car.
Kevin mad some mistakes as well.

Alpine are doing well and seen quicker than mercedes here. Ocon could podium or win if the red and blue teams nuke each other at the front. lol
Why the car is more suited to Checo style ? Understeer ?
It does not have the oversteering nature of last year's cars. Well, not yet anyway, we shall see where development takes it.

But in my estimation Redbull are not prioritizing Max as much as they have in the previous regs. They wanted to give him a world title and they have accomplished that. Right now I don't think they are going to bend over backwards to make sure he finishes in front of his teammate any longer. Checo also did a great job integrating himself in that team. He took the punishment last year, never complained about not getting equal treatment and even assisted Max multiple times in his quest to win the championship. But I get the feeling that this year he is truly racing for himself, more than he is racing for Redbull.

Drift4794
Drift4794

I don't know what Ferrari are thinking with their high-load setup. They're banking on better tyre deg and getting ahead based on strats. But a safety car is almost a certainty eliminating any advantage they get. And with RB being so much faster on the straights, it's going to be near impossible to overtake on the track...

f1316
f1316

lh13 wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 23:42
f1316 wrote:What I find interesting is the complete unknown we have in terms of Ferrari’s race pace vs a Red Bull far apparently set up to sacrifice quali speed in favour of race pace.

In principle you would certainly imagine this is advantage RB, especially if Perez keeps the lead as race pace - and preserving tyres - is his thing.

But then who knows what the Ferrari will look like in the race? Maybe not even they know? Will be fun to find out - hopefully it’s close.
RedBull have favoured race setup?
That’s what Perez said

silver
silver

ringo wrote:

This car seems to suit Checo's style. So if he keeps dialing it in, he will continue to challenge for wins. His driving style is very unusual, from what Jenson Button says as former teammates, so the sweetspot he has in the car may be hard to copy in Max's. I think this driver pairing will be most interesting if Perez does convert this pole into good race pace and the win.
I hope the team give him the support tomorrow. Redbull need to win this race to break ferrari's momentum.
It's interesting development isn't it. RB18 suits Perez and in a similar way, W13 suits Russell well. It's strange that both Verstappen and Hamilton who handled the car better than their team mate in Bahrain, both champions have struggled, Hamilton more so and the teams got bailed out by the non champion in the team. I hope both teams support the driver who gets most of the car.

ringo

rafeyahmad wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 05:44
I don't know what Ferrari are thinking with their high-load setup. They're banking on better tyre deg and getting ahead based on strats. But a safety car is almost a certainty eliminating any advantage they get. And with RB being so much faster on the straights, it's going to be near impossible to overtake on the track...
The ferrari traction and the later braking can keep them out of trouble at a safety car restart.
For Sure!!

ringo

Spoutnik wrote:
ringo wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 01:52

It will not change anything on the short run as it's not a big gap, and Verstappen is still the number one driver and the WC.
It will change if the gap extend, halfway through the season maybe, but I can't see RB doing a Ferrari 2008 with Verstappen...

Alpine are doing well and seen quicker than mercedes here. Ocon could podium or win if the red and blue teams nuke each other at the front. lol
I think because of the ground effect floor it has so much more grip and maybe it feels more stable? that Perez can trust the car more and be comfortable. I noticed he was steadily chipping away in the practice sessions and progressing. He did say all the hard work paid off, and I feel he was referring to that same chipping away and adjusting and going in the right direction. But I feel this was more of Max having a bad qualifying than Checo getting the better of him. That redbull should have been 3 tenths quicker than the ferraris as some of the pundits were predicting. If Max had got a handle on the car like Perez he may have been 3 tenths quicker, but it looked like he was trying too much with the warm up lap and so on.
For Sure!!

dialtone
dialtone

ringo wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:
ringo wrote:

I think because of the ground effect floor it has so much more grip and maybe it feels more stable? that Perez can trust the car more and be comfortable. I noticed he was steadily chipping away in the practice sessions and progressing. He did say all the hard work paid off, and I feel he was referring to that same chipping away and adjusting and going in the right direction. But I feel this was more of Max having a bad qualifying than Checo getting the better of him. That redbull should have been 3 tenths quicker than the ferraris as some of the pundits were predicting. If Max had got a handle on the car like Perez he may have been 3 tenths quicker, but it looked like he was trying too much with the warm up lap and so on.
The telemetry does show that Checo literally drove that car to pole in the last corner by making it faster than Leclerc did. I don’t know if that RedBull has those tenths in the bank so much as Checo really drove a great lap.

Race is a different dimension but 3 tenths ahead? Not sure where they would have found them.

And if Verstappen managed his tyres, then Lec shouldn’t have made a mistake on the last 2 corners… if my grandma had wheels…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watto
Watto

dialtone wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 07:23
ringo wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:

The telemetry does show that Checo literally drove that car to pole in the last corner by making it faster than Leclerc did. I don’t know if that RedBull has those tenths in the bank so much as Checo really drove a great lap.

Race is a different dimension but 3 tenths ahead? Not sure where they would have found them.

And if Verstappen managed his tyres, then Lec shouldn’t have made a mistake on the last 2 corners… if my grandma had wheels…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that call was from earlier in quali Max was up by 3 tenths in S2, but made a mistake and abandoned the lap. May have even been Q1? But I think the pace ramped up more than they were expecting, I though they were expecting low 1:29s and thought maybe but unlikely the 1:28s I don't think Max has that advantage over them really.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

rafeyahmad wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 05:44
I guess that it depends on when the Safety Car comes out (if there is one)… Going long increases your chances of pitting during a Safety Car period, if your tires are lasting longer than your rivals, the probability of a Safety Car favoring you is higher.

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

ringo wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 23:52

Charles doing a little left foot braking as well.. interesting.
Don't F1 drivers always left foot brake?

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

digitalrurouni wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 08:26
ringo wrote:

Since the 1970 they have.

Henri
Henri

Leclerc should win easily.. the ferrari is wsy aherd in race pace

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

digitalrurouni wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 08:26
ringo wrote:

He must be referring to the telemetry of Lec vs Per posted a few paged ago.
It shows Lec holding quite a bit of throttle on whenever he brakes.