2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
silver
silver

Re: 2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 25 - 27

PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 04:04
jz11 wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:43
Big Tea wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:09

They can not without changing the rules, even then it would be difficult. They need to make it plain that if the car gets 1 inch of its nose in front for 1 second it is a penalty, then let the drivers decide. Just a tap or lift if you want to chance it
that would be one of the dumbest things ever, SC restart is part of a racing skill, there is a game being played by the lead AND the following cars, the lead car is trying to slow everyone down, so when the reaction game is played, they gain the most, and the following car is trying to bait the lead car into acceleration when it is backing off and/or trying to guess when the lead car will make its move

I personally think that VSC already has robbed some of the action from the races, and preventing restart games would make these periods even duller

I know there is an opinion that SC periods ruin racing, because usually it gives following cars an advantage on the leader, but those sour grapes usually start moaning when their guy happens to lose out
Reason why I say this is unfair is because remember before a SC restart the guy in second is normally waaay behind and the opportunity to close up is already a benefit. In a red flag restart too, the cars are spaced 8 meters. So it's unfair, it's dangerous and it's against the spirit of the rules to close up the way Max does to the point of being side by side. They should ban the practice and re-write the rules as soon as possible or else the whole field will be doing this.
In my opinion, there is a disadvantage in terms of losing pace on restart for having to wait for lead car to power up, while having to lift to let the leader take racing line. Being right behind allows a car to push better by using the racing line. It's only a mind game to be alongside. If there is a genuine advantage to be alongside on restart, everybody would be doing it, like running wide on corners where there are no track limits.

ringo

The double DRS zones may need to be reduced to 1 zone only. It looks silly slowing down to give up a place to take it back. It's not really racing. It's more like playing tag or musical chairs. It looks smart for 1 or 2 races for Leclerc and others, but I don't think it should continue.
I genuinely like the closer racing now though. Cars can battle for laps and laps until one is fast enough to break away, but the 2 drs is maybe a bit too much.
For Sure!!

Sevach
Sevach

ringo wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 06:12
The double DRS zones may need to be reduced to 1 zone only. It looks silly slowing down to give up a place to take it back. It's not really racing. It's more like playing tag or musical chairs. It looks smart for 1 or 2 races for Leclerc and others, but I don't think it should continue.
I genuinely like the closer racing now though. Cars can battle for laps and laps until one is fast enough to break away, but the 2 drs is maybe a bit too much.
One after the other seems too much, one in one side of the track and another after a while should be OK.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

DiogoBrand wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 04:20
I just wish we'll start seeing Mercedes battling for 1st and Mclaren for 4th in constructors, then we'll have a guaranteed classic championship.
Only 2 races and we've pretty much had 4 drivers in the mix for the win all the time.

I keep thinking about the need for DRS with the new regulations. We've seen from Jeddah that it's much easier to follow through high speed corners this year, and IMO DRS has become more of a drawback than a benefit to overtaking. It makes overtaking so easy it's not even fun to see anymore. Verstappen in Bahrain almost made a move from 0,9s back on Leclerc stick.
That wasn't because of DRS. That was because the Ferrari had an ERS glitch for about 3 laps.

etusch

ringo wrote:
Or overtaker must be able to use other drs zones too. For example car a overtook car b at second drs zone of 3. So car a gain right to use drs next 2 zone.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

ringo wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 22:06
saviour stivala wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 09:12
digitalrurouni wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 08:26

Don't F1 drivers always left foot brake?
Since the 1970 they have.
Well yes they do. I meant applying throttle with brake. It's not common or is not the fastest way to drive theoretically.
What drivers do will not necessary be the best way (fastest way to go) But certainly will be what they believe is the fastest way go. Left foot braking was certainly the fastest to go around, because it eliminated the need to shift right foot from accelerator pedal to brake pedal and back. Using both together, might give an advantage powering up. Schumacher was a pioner master of it.

Magicsenna_41
Magicsenna_41

ringo wrote:
or place the DRS detection line for start finish in mid-corner and not in the braking zone of last corner.
playing games would immediately stop.

basti313
basti313

etusch wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 08:23
ringo wrote:
Or overtaker must be able to use other drs zones too. For example car a overtook car b at second drs zone of 3. So car a gain right to use drs next 2 zone.
No, this is rubbish. Then you only have these DRS fly-by overtakes where the overtaking car just vanishes because of the second DRS.
Magicsenna_41 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 09:18
ringo wrote:
or place the DRS detection line for start finish in mid-corner and not in the braking zone of last corner.
But why? Let them play games, where is the issue?
Don`t russel the hamster!

Magicsenna_41
Magicsenna_41

basti313 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 09:42
etusch wrote:
ringo wrote:
No, this is rubbish. Then you only have these DRS fly-by overtakes where the overtaking car just vanishes because of the second DRS.
Magicsenna_41 wrote:
ringo wrote:
driving unnecessary slow?

basti313
basti313

Magicsenna_41 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 09:45
basti313 wrote:
etusch wrote:

Magicsenna_41 wrote:

This is their descission. As we have seen with Alpine, this is the driver's issue if he battles and makes himself slow. We saw with Ver, that a real racer just goes for it in the first place. The other ones more into tactics go slow and make themselves vulnerable as they loose time. There is nothing wrong with staying behind.

Magicsenna_41
Magicsenna_41

basti313 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 09:48
Magicsenna_41 wrote:
basti313 wrote:

This is their descission. As we have seen with Alpine, this is the driver's issue if he battles and makes himself slow. We saw with Ver, that a real racer just goes for it in the first place. The other ones more into tactics go slow and make themselves vulnerable as they loose time. There is nothing wrong with staying behind.
like how you defend your own 'world'...

Danlizzyman
Danlizzyman

Regarding DRS, I thought Gary Anderson (I know, I know) had a good idea, he suggested allowing the use of DRS only when a driver is between 1-2 seconds behind, so he can use it to draw closer, but once he's under a second behind he's on his own to find a way past. What do you guys think?

Stu

Danlizzyman wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 10:02
Regarding DRS, I thought Gary Anderson (I know, I know) had a good idea, he suggested allowing the use of DRS only when a driver is between 1-2 seconds behind, so he can use it to draw closer, but once he's under a second behind he's on his own to find a way past. What do you guys think?
I would rather see it having a limited number of applications per race.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

basti313
basti313

Magicsenna_41 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 10:01
basti313 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 09:48
Magicsenna_41 wrote:

like how you defend your own 'world'...
Well, I quite liked my "world" in the last two races. So happy to defend.
There is rather the (big?) question if Saudi and Bahrain need three DRS zones in the current formula and not if you need to change the rules.
Danlizzyman wrote:
Then you can not overtake. See the race start and SC restart. Without DRS no overtaking as slipstream is too low.
Stu wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 10:03
Danlizzyman wrote:
Just another thing to manage. In DTM this rather ended in an overtake reduction as the car in front could more easily save DRS.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Stu wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 10:03
Danlizzyman wrote:
LOVE the idea of it being limited. A tool in the arsenal. Once it’s used up, it’s used up. Adds strategy and jeopardy instead of just lap after lap after lap, and I feel would help with (if not completely resolve) the gamesmanship at the DRS line which I think is heading towards being unsafe.