2022 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, April 08 - 10

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sieper

Re: 2022 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, April 08 - 10

ringo wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 16:29
Leclerc talent really apparent this year. I think from what i observe the cars are about equal with different charateristics. Charles driving style just has more potential to extract more speed. Max style in theory isnt optimal, the early braking thing and lags between brake and throttle. I guess Leclerc is more confident in his car. Max making errors is nothing new. We saw it last year as well. He either still got pole or lost pole, but some would just say he is pushing so hard that's why this happens.
I think he needs to change approach and let the car come to him. Same as Sainz. He is pushing too hard. Sainze should just accept that Leclerc is faster. He will consistently be in the top 2 rowd and then he can try and win a race frim there. He has to play to strengths and just give up on trying to be faster than Leclerc.

As for mercedes.. i think Hamilton will be on podium again. Some crashing will take place with Max and Charles or Perez. I also feel the Mclaren isnt out of the woods reliability wise.
Leclerc and Sainz just have the better car right now, it is obvious when you see how smooth it is through the corners. Leclerc is just better than Sainz, last year charles made a few mistakes, and sometimes was unlucky, but overall he has more pace. As could also be seen when Max and Charles push really hard in the race. Sainz and Perez can’t keep up. The Redbull is just harder to control, it is not just max, also Sergio is struggling in the corners. I saw a real nice super slow mo with checo drifting over all 4 wheels. Hopefully they can improve as for me this season will be leclercs first WDC. (Max already has a DNF under his belt).

Shal_Leg16
Shal_Leg16

Sieper wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 16:52
ringo wrote:
Leclerc talent really apparent this year. I think from what i observe the cars are about equal with different charateristics. Charles driving style just has more potential to extract more speed. Max style in theory isnt optimal, the early braking thing and lags between brake and throttle. I guess Leclerc is more confident in his car. Max making errors is nothing new. We saw it last year as well. He either still got pole or lost pole, but some would just say he is pushing so hard that's why this happens.
I think he needs to change approach and let the car come to him. Same as Sainz. He is pushing too hard. Sainze should just accept that Leclerc is faster. He will consistently be in the top 2 rowd and then he can try and win a race frim there. He has to play to strengths and just give up on trying to be faster than Leclerc.

As for mercedes.. i think Hamilton will be on podium again. Some crashing will take place with Max and Charles or Perez. I also feel the Mclaren isnt out of the woods reliability wise.
Leclerc and Sainz just have the better car right now, it is obvious when you see how smooth it is through the corners. Leclerc is just better than Sainz, last year charles made a few mistakes, and sometimes was unlucky, but overall he has more pace. As could also be seen when Max and Charles push really hard in the race. Sainz and Perez can’t keep up. The Redbull is just harder to control, it is not just max, also Sergio is struggling in the corners. I saw a real nice super slow mo with checo drifting over all 4 wheels. Hopefully they can improve as for me this season will be leclercs first WDC. (Max already has a DNF under his belt).
i dont get this - just had a better car sh*t. as if Max would have won last year without it . the 7 he won back to back , during that part RB had the best car, max was chucking in poles and wins.
This whole argument is pointless coz without the best car you can't be dominant in F1.

Dee
Dee

ringo wrote:

Max was equal to Charles in that last lap until the last two corners, all weekend we have seen the RB be poor there for both Perez and Max so before you want to start jumping on driving styles remember that part

Max said that he doesn't have balance in the car, it overtsteers and then understeers, he doesn't understand what is going to happen, so therefore he cannot plan a way of attacking it. In the race fans comment section a member stated that the car could be going through a pressure shift due to the ride height fluctuating under braking, which is known to happen in GE cars.

This doesn't seem to be a factor in Ferrari, you point the car into a slow corner and it turns in

The slight hope is that Max has gotten glimpses of good balance from the car and when he has, he has shown how quick it is, he was 5 tenths up on Perez in the first lap of Q3 (before the lockup) and in Q3 in Bahrain he had a great first lap which he said felt good so we shall see what happens

PlatinumZealot

He is paid forty million a year to drive the car. So he can't complain too much.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

godlameroso

It will be an interesting race, if Verstappen can stay with LeClerc, then he can use the draft to save his battery, and his top speed advantage will also help him save fuel. He can bide his time then attack late race, if LeClerc responds to this, he will have to pit and force Verstappen to run to his pace, but if the tires are consistent he makes himself vulnerable to an overcut due to the warm up phase in the outlap. Verstappen has enough top speed and enough pace to defend if he gains track position, like last year's RB16B Verstappen knows how difficult it is to overtake if you don't have the top speed. The only way to pass with a top speed deficit is under braking.

Perez is there to spoil the party as well. It's better for Verstappen's championship that Perez wins over LeClerc, obviously it's better if he comes first, but if that's not possible, there's a 3 point difference from 2nd to 3rd vs 7 point difference from 1st to 2nd.
Saishū kōnā

wogx

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

dialtone
dialtone

LEC pole lap against VER first attempt in Q3. And now VER v VER:

VER really pushed the car a bit too much in S3 in his first attempt, you can see 2 significant late braking attempts and the first went alright, the second cause the lockup. I think in his fastest attempt he tried to fix it by anticipating the apex so he could put down the throttle earlier and get a better slingshot to finish line but he wasn't able to time it properly.

Sieper

Shal_Leg16 wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 16:59
Sieper wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 16:52
ringo wrote:

i dont get this - just had a better car sh*t. as if Max would have won last year without it . the 7 he won back to back , during that part RB had the best car, max was chucking in poles and wins.
This whole argument is pointless coz without the best car you can't be dominant in F1.
Why are you swearing. It isn’t pointless at all. And yes, max won last year without it, but that is very much off topic. We are not talking about dominant. Ferrari is the quickest, closely followed by RBR and Mercedes currently is 3rd but at a distance.

sunny1304r
sunny1304r

Leclare and Max falls into the same category, given a fast car they can extract the best possible result that car can achieve. Given an average car they will make more mistakes because they don't settle for average. That's why Sainz or Perez get better result from a slower car because deep down they know that they are not the fastest driver.

PlatinumZealot

Perez is in the picture but he takes less risk. For the eace Perez will be ordered to stay behind even if he is faster.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

f1316
f1316

Yes, although as mentioned, S3 is the Ferrari’s strong point. My recollection is that through practice Alonso would often do a purple middle but fade at the end. Still, such a shame as would loved to have seen Fernando right up there.

Nothing on Perez failing to slow under yellows, i take it? I suspect RB will be able to use him to force the strategy, which could give them the advantage. This is where Sainz’s combination of bad luck and error could be extremely costly to Charles.

Dee
Dee

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 18:49
Perez is in the picture but he takes less risk. For the eace Perez will be ordered to stay behind even if he is faster.
I can't see RB touching TO anytime tomorrow

LM10
LM10

godlameroso wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 17:49
It will be an interesting race, if Verstappen can stay with LeClerc, then he can use the draft to save his battery, and his top speed advantage will also help him save fuel. He can bide his time then attack late race, if LeClerc responds to this, he will have to pit and force Verstappen to run to his pace, but if the tires are consistent he makes himself vulnerable to an overcut due to the warm up phase in the outlap. Verstappen has enough top speed and enough pace to defend if he gains track position, like last year's RB16B Verstappen knows how difficult it is to overtake if you don't have the top speed. The only way to pass with a top speed deficit is under braking.

Perez is there to spoil the party as well. It's better for Verstappen's championship that Perez wins over LeClerc, obviously it's better if he comes first, but if that's not possible, there's a 3 point difference from 2nd to 3rd vs 7 point difference from 1st to 2nd.
The RedBull does not have a significant top speed advantage over Ferrari this time around.

godlameroso

LM10 wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 19:29
godlameroso wrote:

The RedBull does not have a significant top speed advantage over Ferrari this time around.
9 km/h in Jeddah it was what 10?
Saishū kōnā

dialtone
dialtone

godlameroso wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 19:38
LM10 wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 19:29
godlameroso wrote:

9 km/h in Jeddah it was what 10?
Have you seen the telemetry here in Melbourne?