2022 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, April 08 - 10

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Artur Craft

Re: 2022 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, April 08 - 10

Michelangelo wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 07:15
Mediums and hards lives looked similar. It is just harder to warm them up, causing a struggle in the packed order in the first laps.
oT v1 wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 09:06
Those mediums looked useless in the race today, I was hoping to see Alonso and K mag get in the mix but they fell off too quick. Was Max the only one that was complaining of graining? I’m surprised the whole field didn’t put within 10 laps lol
Yeah, I don´t understand why Michelangelo said that. The hards were holding fine during the race while the Mediums were absolute garbage

NicoS

maxxer wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 14:56
NicoS wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 13:23
maxxer wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 13:19

The 2 top teams losing a car , albon driving almost a full race on same tires , drs overtaking and making it stick
Was a nice return to albert park for me. Ferrari so strong at every restart , guess the MV fans arent happy
Yes, some people excited and satisfied with very little. The beauty of human diversity. thank goodness humanity has not been standardized as yet.
come back when you have watched f1 for 30 years lol
Phoenix 1990 was my first race, your point being?

Juzh

Artur Craft wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 14:57
Michelangelo wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 07:15
Mediums and hards lives looked similar. It is just harder to warm them up, causing a struggle in the packed order in the first laps.
oT v1 wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 09:06
Those mediums looked useless in the race today, I was hoping to see Alonso and K mag get in the mix but they fell off too quick. Was Max the only one that was complaining of graining? I’m surprised the whole field didn’t put within 10 laps lol
Yeah, I don´t understand why Michelangelo said that. The hards were holding fine during the race while the Mediums were absolute garbage
True. Medium was trash on every car apart from leclerc and maybe mercedes whereas hard was bulletproof. Albon full race distance on single set and doing personal bests on lap 54 or something like that. That tyre could go on forever.

vorticism

Zynerji wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 14:51
❤❤❤

2008 cars/engines, 2021 suspension, 2022 floors.
It's strange because they drafted the 2009 regs, which changed the cars into something less appealing. Do not think of the 2009 BMW with the shoeboxes... I don't remember any fans/commentators complementing that change. Since then it's as though the management has been trying to claw some of it back, making F1 great again or something, with the mandated canted angles here and there, because when I look at the 07, 08 cars, I see what the 2022 regs are trying to be, aesthetically. Then you have to ask why is the bureau trying to be the artisan. Just go back to the old regs or something similar.
𓄀

Artur Craft

The cars do look lazy/slow, especially through the onboards, but I like their appearance and it´s way easier to follow on high speed corners now, this was very clear on this race. The new aero formula is working.

The problem is that the cars are too heavy now because of the idiotic hybrid engines and it´s heavy batteries. Funnily enough, I have been watching Formula E this weekend and they don´t look slow on the corners like they used to(they used to weight 900kg and now are at 780kg). And they still run on slim, grooved tyres.

I particularly loved the trains that we had during the race, firstly led by Magnussen and, then, by Stroll. As everybody behind them had DRS, they experienced what F1 has always been before 2011. F1 drivers got so used to DRS that they lost their ability to pass without external assistance

Eventhough F1 improved drastically this season, Formula E and Indy still produce better racing

PlatinumZealot

For me it was the best race at Albart Park since the last time it rained there.

Also share the sentiment that the cars are like lorries in the slow speed but other than that they make good race cars. FIA need to go back to smaller wheels and lighter cars. We can make 1000 naturally aspirated horsepower and we don't need the million dollar muffer called the turbo hybrid system at all.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Big Tea

I still think it was a mistake to introduce the new wheels and tyres at the same time as a complete change in the 'body'.
It would be more dificult to change to larger wheels later, but they would then know where the problems lay with one change before inflicting another.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

vorticism wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 15:06
Zynerji wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 14:51
❤❤❤

2008 cars/engines, 2021 suspension, 2022 floors.
It's strange because they drafted the 2009 regs, which changed the cars into something less appealing. Do not think of the 2009 BMW with the shoeboxes... I don't remember any fans/commentators complementing that change. Since then it's as though the management has been trying to claw some of it back, making F1 great again or something, with the mandated canted angles here and there, because when I look at the 07, 08 cars, I see what the 2022 regs are trying to be, aesthetically. Then you have to ask why is the bureau trying to be the artisan. Just go back to the old regs or something similar.
TWO regulations only, fuel mass and cost cap.
The current behemoth is anachronistic.

atanatizante

So let's do the math ... after the restart RUS finished the race in 25.5 sec. behind LEC, thus in just 31 laps, he was some 0.8 sec. slower per lap and maybe 0,65 to VER ... therefore we could see some progress or it's just track related?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

silver
silver

Artur Craft wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 15:26
The cars do look lazy/slow, especially through the onboards, but I like their appearance and it´s way easier to follow on high speed corners now, this was very clear on this race. The new aero formula is working.

The problem is that the cars are too heavy now because of the idiotic hybrid engines and it´s heavy batteries. Funnily enough, I have been watching Formula E this weekend and they don´t look slow on the corners like they used to(they used to weight 900kg and now are at 780kg). And they still run on slim, grooved tyres.

I particularly loved the trains that we had during the race, firstly led by Magnussen and, then, by Stroll. As everybody behind them had DRS, they experienced what F1 has always been before 2011. F1 drivers got so used to DRS that they lost their ability to pass without external assistance

Eventhough F1 improved drastically this season, Formula E and Indy still produce better racing
These hybrid engines are garbage. They should move to Ethanol 40% or 50% (even if the power goes down to 700 bhp) and go back to normally aspirated engines with cars weighting at least 25% less. This whole electrification is a farce in F1. At least we can see back to back fast laps like we used to in V8 era.

Pirelli has no right to continue in F1. Nobody knows which compounds work and which doesn't and which tyre is faster. Bridgestone and Michelin should come back as two suppliers. 12 years is too long to be talking about one single aspect of racing, tyres. Its because of this farce, we see cars slowing down on their warm up laps, causing chaos, either at last corner before starting fast lap or through the warm up lap. The car should come out of the pits with new tyres and should simply go at race speed to start the fast lap without having to worry about baby sitting the tyres.

Aero simplification has worked as cars finally follow closely. They should further simplify the floor and front wing for better effect.

silver
silver

atanatizante wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 15:46
So let's do the math ... after the restart RUS finished the race in 25.5 sec. behind LEC, thus in just 31 laps, he was some 0.8 sec. slower per lap and maybe 0,65 to VER ... therefore we could see some progress or it's just track related?
This sort of math is senseless. The leader as in most of the times, would be cruising without showing full potential of the car. When Verstappen retired, it became so easy for Leclerc to simply manage the race. So the difference between Leclerc and others cars in terms of where they finished, is not a clear indication of the gap.

Big Tea

atanatizante wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 15:46
Plus the safety car bunching
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

vorticism

Big Tea wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 15:37
I still think it was a mistake to introduce the new wheels and tyres at the same time as a complete change in the 'body'.
It would be more dificult to change to larger wheels later, but they would then know where the problems lay with one change before inflicting another.
They reintroduced slicks and new aero simultaneously in 09 as well, which upset the order. BrawnGP and the drinks company for five years. Sadly we have no equivalent to BrawnGP this time. What could have been... TotoGP? HornerGP? AbiteboulGP? Or, maybe a retired established driver... KimiGP. Strictly for the radio chatter. Or lack thereof.

"Should I pit?"
"Leave me alone I'm on the computer."

Also it seems a particular form of cruelty that the guy who most benefitted from a loophole drafted up the regs which have no loopholes. I was half hoping Brawn had left an easter egg in there somewhere.
𓄀

InsaneX_Badger

Genuinely confused by many fans on here complaining about the circuit but claim to have been fans for many years. As Albert Park goes I think it's a good step. I think it was boring for most because one team was a class above the rest.

maxxer
maxxer

NicoS wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 14:58
maxxer wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 14:56
NicoS wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 13:23

Yes, some people excited and satisfied with very little. The beauty of human diversity. thank goodness humanity has not been standardized as yet.
come back when you have watched f1 for 30 years lol
Phoenix 1990 was my first race, your point being?
that for f1 is was a good race today