2022 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, April 08 - 10

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Re: 2022 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, April 08 - 10

I see. So adding a million winglets = amazing formula, great spectacle, ‘the good old days’.

I agree in the sense that I dislike the increased restrictions. I’ve always followed formula 1 for the teams, cars and tech, not drivers, so I hate the idea of any standard parts and even frankly the budget cap…

But so far? I haven’t hated what I’ve seen from a racing or diversity of approach to design perspective. So… I’m just going with the flow instead of stomping my feet and calling it sh*t.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

vorticism wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 12:45
JPBD1990 wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 12:28
Humans hate change.
Except when its for the better. Reddit tier phraseology there.

"I think with time, these regs will mature"

We're used to seeing freer regs tho. F.e. the front wings can't change much from what we see now. For as long as these regs remain in place. Same for bargeboards, brake ducts, etc. I think this year will show us the most diversity of approach, which then lead to convergence without maturing as we've seen in the past. There's no where to add a million winglets like we saw in 2021, f.e.
JPBD1990 wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 12:28
Long story short, get over it and give it a chance.
No.
Guess you better go watch something else then

LM10
LM10

Is this the race thread or the complaining-about-the-new-regs-corner? We’ve had three races of which two were really nice ones in regards of racing between two teams at the front at least.
Today it was a dominant one from a team, but there still were some fights in the midfield. The funny thing is that people here are complaining about DRS passes when ironically just today Perez overtook Hamilton in the corner, to name an example. But even if he did not, the big difference is that the cars actually are able to follow each other closely and thus more easily put themselves into a position to overtake on the straights.

Maybe take into consideration that two of the three races were street circuits.
Another crucial thing to have in mind - obviously - is that we’re at the very beginning of a completely new era. Biggest regulation changes since over 40 years. We will see the cars improving significantly performance-wise over the next couple of years and even more so in slow corners.

maxxer
maxxer

LM10 wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 13:12
Is this the race thread or the complaining-about-the-new-regs-corner? We’ve had three races of which two were really nice ones in regards of racing between two teams at the front at least.
Today it was a dominant one from a team, but there still were some fights in the midfield. The funny thing is that people here are complaining about DRS passes when ironically just today Perez overtook Hamilton in the corner, to name an example. But even if he did not, the big difference is that the cars actually are able to follow each other closely and thus more easily put themselves into a position to overtake on the straights.

Another crucial thing to have in mind - obviously - is that we’re at the very beginning of a completely new era. Biggest regulation changes since over 40 years. We will see the cars improving significantly performance-wise over the next couple of years and even more so in slow corners.
The 2 top teams losing a car , albon driving almost a full race on same tires , drs overtaking and making it stick
Was a nice return to albert park for me. Ferrari so strong at every restart , guess the MV fans arent happy

NicoS

maxxer wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 13:19
LM10 wrote:

The 2 top teams losing a car , albon driving almost a full race on same tires , drs overtaking and making it stick
Was a nice return to albert park for me. Ferrari so strong at every restart , guess the MV fans arent happy
Yes, some people excited and satisfied with very little. The beauty of human diversity. thank goodness humanity has not been standardized as yet.

erudite450
erudite450

I don't know where some of you see these myriads of DRS overtakes. If it was that easy, why didn't the McLarens and the Mercedes swap places in the first stint when it seemed the McLarens were faster. Again, why was Stroll able to keep a whole gaggle of cars behind him without DRS. The cars were able to follow one another closely but it wasn't as if they were just swapping places down every straight. It was a good Australian GP.

NicoS

erudite450 wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 13:23
I don't know where some of you see these myriads of DRS overtakes. If it was that easy, why didn't the McLarens and the Mercedes swap places in the first stint when it seemed the McLarens were faster. Again, why was Stroll able to keep a whole gaggle of cars behind him without DRS. The cars were able to follow one another closely but it wasn't as if they were just swapping places down every straight. It was a good Australian GP.
outside of Ferrari victory, What was good?

chrisc90

I think Horner has the edge on that one.

Mogster

NicoS wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 13:27
erudite450 wrote:
1) More wheel to wheel racing than we’ve seen at Albert Park ever.
2) New cars can run closer through fast corners than they’ve been able to for 20+ years.
3) New cars look good, cleaner, more like late 80s early 90s. No silly high rake. (subjective).
4) New cars still look different even though regs are more prescriptive.
5) New cars look rapid in fast corners.
6) New cars seem more difficult to handle in slow corners so driving errors.
7) Field spread is far less than anyone expected with new regs.
8 ) Different team has a potentially championship winning car, not RBR/Merc.
9) Merc improve enough to join RBR & Ferrari at the front.
10) Changes to Albert Park were an improvement.

erudite450
erudite450

Mogster wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 14:01
NicoS wrote:
erudite450 wrote:
2) New cars can run closer through fast corners than they’ve been able to for 20+ years.
3) New cars look good, cleaner, more like late 80s early 90s. No silly high rake. (subjective).
Exactly! I don't understand how anyone would expect Albert Park to generate the same amount of wheel-to-wheel racing as Sakhir International Circuit for example. For a race at Albert Park, this was a good one.

And for what it's worth, I'm not Ferrari fan.

Magicsenna_41
Magicsenna_41

hollus wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 12:03
Seriously, some people might want to talk about the race, please share the space and don’t litter.
And if there is little to say about the race, a short thread is perfectly OK.

I did come to page 36 to read about the race. Now by page 38, I got to read 3-4 posts about it. Not cool.
For most of the members here race was over lap39...

DChemTech
DChemTech

Add to that some enjoyable strategy (albon), McLaren being able to compete decently too (leading to all but one teams scoring in the 1st three races)...

Mogster

erudite450 wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 14:07
Mogster wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 14:01
NicoS wrote:

Exactly! I don't understand how anyone would expect Albert Park to generate the same amount of wheel-to-wheel racing as Sakhir International Circuit for example. For a race at Albert Park, this was a good one.

And for what it's worth, I'm not Ferrari fan.
I though so to. As a Hamilton fan…

Cars looked goood, beautiful venue, decent amount of wheel to wheel racing considering the venue/formula. F1 can’t race at Bahrain/Silverstone alternating for 20 rounds…

Zynerji

vorticism wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 10:47
214270 wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 09:53
They look slow and I don’t think these cars hold a candle aesthetically to the racecars from generations before; totally underwhelmed. Rant over
Todt and Brawn et al trying to play car stylist while being bureaucrats. The maturing of the formula til 2008 gave us some of the best looking cars imo, since then they look either more boring (2009 on) or more contrived with the 2018(?) mandated swooping angles, and the 2022 mandated MORE swoopy angles. Well, we had swoopy angles once before, and it didn't arrive from a downloadable FIA spec swoopy angles database.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0d/cb/62 ... 9a8df1.jpg
❤❤❤

2008 cars/engines, 2021 suspension, 2022 floors.

Just the thought of it makes me squiggle...

Caught the replay this morning.

Nice race for Ferrari/CLC!

Wow for RBR reliability (shades of 2006😒).

George in 2nd in a hurt Merc. Could we see Hamilton rear-gun for him when Merc comes good after an update?

Vettel should have retired while out with COVID.

Big swing early season. The roundabout should be a thrill-ride from Heaven!🥰
Last edited by Zynerji on 10 Apr 2022, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.

maxxer
maxxer

NicoS wrote:
maxxer wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 13:19
LM10 wrote:

Yes, some people excited and satisfied with very little. The beauty of human diversity. thank goodness humanity has not been standardized as yet.
come back when you have watched f1 for 30 years lol