Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Henk_v
Henk_v

Re: Red Bull RB18

I don't buy it. We are all keen to see the "anti porpoising" magic bullet and speculation about anything odd in the floor will quickly associatie wit porpoising.

Joining the ranks of the "picture aerodynamicists", my guess would be that is is just a very clever device, repurposing the rule for the edge wing to make something to controll the airflow in that region. They managed to get a sort of strake in to really force some things. Shaping surfaces only gets you limited control.

It looks like the little kick on the end really powers up the diffuser bottom vortex, sealing it.

More speculative, it looks like it seperates the main tunnel from a mini tunnel to the outside of the device, including its own kickline (and thus different pressure) which the device neatly seperates.

If you have this device it needs to be metal, because it will touch the asphalt hitting kerbs. That does not mean it was intended to do so to prevent porpoising.

gandharva

Juzh

Jeddah wing?

vorticism

Some say they produce less downforce with their floor, and this help with their porpoising, but the opposite may be true. Since the floor can produce downforce more efficiently, they may be getting more of their downforce from the floor while benefiting from its relatively low drag and the knock-on effects from being able to run less wing (higher top speed).

By comparison, other teams may need to run more wing because their floors aren't producing as much DF.
𓄀

wogx

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Sevach
Sevach

Vanja #66

wogx wrote:
06 May 2022, 10:02
99% sure it's about tyre temp management. Very nice detailing from RB, as expected.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

gandharva

Nice! RBR getting on top of tyre business. Imho this has nothing to do with outwash/aero but will help to cool/heat tyres. Somehow expected as they dedicated a full session in Imola to better understand the tyres.

JordanMugen

Henk_v wrote:
05 May 2022, 21:14
I don't buy it. We are all keen to see the "anti porpoising" magic bullet and speculation about anything odd in the floor will quickly associatie wit porpoising.
AR3-GP wrote:
02 May 2022, 17:24
I suspect that the skate is another red herring as it regards to "anti-porpoising'.
The Red Bull has (likely) many features to "manage" (Horner) porpoising, no? The skate could be one of them, but there shouldn't be a suggestion that there is 'magic bullet' that the RB uses to manage porpoising.

It's all the features together is it not (tunnel shape, suspension, bodywork rigidity etc), which the Red Bull team use to manage porpoising?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

I think it's a bit of a reach to say it's for porposing. I think it's more acting as a skirt, or maybe controlling tyre squirt as it's exactly the same as previous gen cars had with a straight strake in front of the rear tyre.

It might be a safe guard for floor bottoming, but it's not relied on very much.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

michl420
michl420

I think there is no "anti porposing device" on any car on the grid (maybe mercedes has some details by now). Because all of this specs are designed before the car hit the test track and and no one thought of porposing. Some designs are more vulnerable than others by accident. Thats how I see it.

Sevach
Sevach

bosyber
bosyber

michl420 wrote:
07 May 2022, 09:59
I think there is no "anti porposing device" on any car on the grid (maybe mercedes has some details by now). Because all of this specs are designed before the car hit the test track and and no one thought of porposing. Some designs are more vulnerable than others by accident. Thats how I see it.
Yeah, I'd agree with that, as well as posts above saying it is a combination of things that mean Red Bull doesn't suffer from porpoising (as much as others). They might possibly have thought about the issue in development a bit, and I do think their very different (how Red Bull, right?!) 'boat' and tunnel shapes seem to somehow help in making sure the issue doesn't occur so strongly. But as no one really saw (could see) it in their simulations or wind tunnel, it probably is largely an amount of 'luck' in how different teams' aero and mechanical concepts work together.

Blackout

A nice pic of the drum... but it's probably an inner drum under the outer drum, AKA the cake tin
+ the floor
Motorsport

Last edited by Blackout on 08 May 2022, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.

bosyber
bosyber

Blackout wrote:
07 May 2022, 21:53
A nice pic of the drum... but it's probably an inner drum under the outer drum, AKA the cake tin
+ the floor
https://i.imgur.com/RID8Bw5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rBGGNX9.jpg
The shape of the (inner) drum still seems to show signs of the openings on the outside, showing where they enter/start, which is of interest.

Similar with that view of the floor for how the boat shape works.