Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mr5in1

Re: Mercedes W13

Spoutnik wrote:
09 May 2022, 00:48
Could they run both concepts over a race weekend, have one car as the original larger sidepods and the 2nd the newer one and play all set ups on both.?

AR3-GP

Mr5in1 wrote:
09 May 2022, 04:19
Spoutnik wrote:
09 May 2022, 00:48
Could they run both concepts over a race weekend, have one car as the original larger sidepods and the 2nd the newer one and play all set ups on both.?
I think that's a bid of a negative. Their windtunnel model which will be months ahead from now is most likely based on no-pod design. They cannot simultaneously develop both solutions.

IGOSNELL

Getting tired of Mercedes moaning. If the floor is the problem then just replace it. Does not make sense why they don't tackle
the problem head on but they just keep on analyzing data. Seems rather strange...

zibby43

IGOSNELL wrote:
09 May 2022, 07:04
Getting tired of Mercedes moaning. If the floor is the problem then just replace it. Does not make sense why they don't tackle
the problem head on but they just keep on analyzing data. Seems rather strange...
lol. Pretty sure that's the exact problem they're trying to tackle. And it's a bit more difficult than you make it seem.

georgekyr

carisi2k wrote:
09 May 2022, 00:40
The mini pods are the problem because they don't give enough support to the floor and because of this the floor is flexing and fluttering causing aero problems even in the corners. Just my humble opinion.
I believe the same thing. How this can be solved -if it can be solved- is another question. I believe we saw that for a very small window the concept can be really fast and competitive, but the boundaries of this window are so small it is very difficult to setup the car properly for a full race.
In a budget restricted era, you need all the assistance you can get from low cost solutions like CFD and wind tunnel. I believe they made the strategic decision that for the longer term, it makes sense to spend more money there (which will probably have a higher added value) that bring new pieces in a "trial and error" fashion at every race to test at the track.
The package as it is requires a very advanced suspension and I believe this is the reason Russel called for active suspension a few races back. Mercedes can probably get it to work optimally in specific conditions only with each suspension setup, something that an active suspension could fix.
Let's see the new floor (or floors) they test out in Barcelona. If they fail to become competitive, I believe they will make the decision to be third in the constructors and try to optimize their CFD and wind tunnel, improve correlation and have much better tools ready for the coming years, testing more extreme solutions whenever possible.

matteosc

RZS10 wrote:
08 May 2022, 10:24
matteosc wrote:
08 May 2022, 00:58
It would be interesting to see a comparison. [...]
[...]
-check link
[...]
Link: viewtopic.php?p=1044613#p1044613
Thank you for the link, it does look like they are all flexing more or less the same.

elMaestro

Are the updates on the front, rear and the beam wing going to remain for Barcelona and come together with the new floor or were these just a low downforce config specifically for this track?

Cocles

elMaestro wrote:
10 May 2022, 03:57
Are the updates on the front, rear and the beam wing going to remain for Barcelona and come together with the new floor or were these just a low downforce config specifically for this track?
Just an educated guess, but probably yes for at least the front wing considering how much it plays with everything behind it. It makes sense to take the front wing to Miami, make sure it does what it's supposed to, then introduce the new floor that plays off of it at the next race.

Stu

I wonder how much effect the front wing is having on floor performance. They have the most aggressive wing package on the grid (almost like the 2021 car until they started backing the rear wing off from mid-season).

Almost all of the other teams are running a much flatter front wing, although they then have side pods that pick the flow up further back; while Mercedes have the SIS cover that they are trying to similarly use.
Such an aggressive front wing must have an impact on the underfloor flow.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

AA_2019

Stu wrote:
10 May 2022, 08:27
I wonder how much effect the front wing is having on floor performance. They have the most aggressive wing package on the grid (almost like the 2021 car until they started backing the rear wing off from mid-season).

Almost all of the other teams are running a much flatter front wing, although they then have side pods that pick the flow up further back; while Mercedes have the SIS cover that they are trying to similarly use.
Such an aggressive front wing must have an impact on the underfloor flow.
It will be starving the underfloor of airflow
One day AI might be able to fix the W13 zero pod concept !

saviour stivala

With a starved under floor airflow by front wing used (reduced intake to under floor) they will be jumping/porpoising much less.

wogx

Mercedes won't rule out ditching F1 sidepod design after Spanish GP

Mercedes has not ruled out abandoning its ‘zero-pod’ concept as it faces a crunch decision on the future of its Formula 1 car after the Spanish Grand Prix.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/merce ... /10302171/
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

pursue_one's

According to AMuS, Mercedes is set to change the floor for Barcelona, how much is not certain yet.
They want to be cautious, since Barcelona is the important test for them.

_cerber1

Spoutnik