2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
pursue_one's

Re: Mercedes W13

Cocles wrote:
12 May 2022, 03:58
AR3-GP wrote:
12 May 2022, 02:07
Where are they doing the filming day?
Monza.
Barcelona

Cocles

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Barcelona
Okay, that makes way more sense. It's only Ferrari apparently going to Monza; I was wondering why Merc would spend the time and money to send their car to Italy (full throttle long straights)? Glad they're finagling some extra time at Barcelona.

PlatinumZealot

pursue_one's wrote:
12 May 2022, 20:18
Cocles wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
12 May 2022, 02:07
Where are they doing the filming day?
Monza.
Barcelona
When?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

morefirejules08

Cocles wrote:
12 May 2022, 20:12
Presumably, we can't expect there to be any performance increases with the new PU given it is now frozen?
History has shown otherwise. Teams have shown a knack for gaining performance from reliability upgrades.
Not gaining performance but being able to utilise what is already inherent in the PU

pursue_one's

PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 May 2022, 21:34
pursue_one's wrote:
12 May 2022, 20:18
Cocles wrote:

Monza.
Barcelona
When?
Accordintg to Formu1a.uno, That Mercedes will carry out there second and last filming day before the Spanish Grand Prix.
That’s the only thing that I understand.

'Tis me, just me.

Spoutnik wrote:
12 May 2022, 20:33
But to what extent are those track specific changes for Miami rather than a more general performance upgrade?

Also concerning reliability upgrades, IF air racing is anything to go by, where with extremely loose regulations the engines get pushed literally to and often beyond their limits, ANY reliability upgrade pretty much immediately translates to extra speed. Why should Formula 1 be any different? Wasn't that the main reason for Merc taking an engine penalty and given HAM a new power unit at the end of last year: this new engine has never been stressed and will only ever do a fraction of the mileage it was designed for, therefore we can push it harder for longer.

SuperCNJ

'Tis me, just me. wrote:
13 May 2022, 00:02
Spoutnik wrote:
12 May 2022, 20:33
But to what extent are those track specific changes for Miami rather than a more general performance upgrade?

Also concerning reliability upgrades, IF air racing is anything to go by, where with extremely loose regulations the engines get pushed literally to and often beyond their limits, ANY reliability upgrade pretty much immediately translates to extra speed. Why should Formula 1 be any different? Wasn't that the main reason for Merc taking an engine penalty and given HAM a new power unit at the end of last year: this new engine has never been stressed and will only ever do a fraction of the mileage it was designed for, therefore we can push it harder for longer.
Yes, Merc were bleeding performance quite quickly as the mileage increased last year so a new PU seemed to put them back to the performance levels they had before. However, for this year, that probably wouldn't be enough to challenge Ferrari and RB. They need more performance from the PU than when it was new.

astracrazy

PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 May 2022, 06:07
Dr. Acula wrote:
11 May 2022, 17:45
PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 May 2022, 17:15

That material doesn't affect MRI or cat-scan they say. A small chunk of platinum. Remember there are people with dental and skeletal braces too. Are dental braces banned too? See, there is no logic to it. There needs to be a review of what sorts of materials and forms of Jewelry are allowed. Checks all the boxes? You're good to go race.
Ferromagnetic metals like Iron, Nickel and Cobalt are indeed a problem for an MRI though. Ironbased medical implants in general are so highly alloyed that they lose their magnetic properties, so they aren't a problem.
The issue in reality is that most people don't actually know what their piercings are exactly made of. For instance Nickel isn't an unusual material to find in piercings.
A quick goolge search shows that even for stainless steel sutures the level of image artifacts are small, and the temperature rise is like 2 degrees celcius under an MRI. The was no sigificant magnetic pull because of the small size of the items.

Platinum is not magnetic so this wouldn't be an issue for a nose knob. No artifacts, no heating, no magnetic pull.

FIA has enforced a lazy ruling to target one driver.
....the one driver who refuses to comply with the rule. Funny that.

PlatinumZealot

pursue_one's wrote:
12 May 2022, 22:46

Accordintg to Formu1a.uno, That Mercedes will carry out there second and last filming day before the Spanish Grand Prix.
Ok. Could be this weeked!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

atanatizante

Petronas, the fuel supplier of Mercedes says they aren't guilty of lower performance in 2022 :

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/110380/f ... -2022.html
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

atanatizante

A question for the guys with aero knowledge that are lurking around this forum/thread:

If the regs allowed this, could be designed a floor with cutouts that are acting like let`s call it an "aero-brake"? These cutouts should have a very shallow AoA in both upwards and downwards directions. Yeah, these could bring more drag but maybe it`s a good trade-off in order to diminish if not entirely stop the car's vertical oscillation induced by this porpoising phenomenon... Or maybe it`s enough just the cut-out pointing downwards and connected by a hinge which opens at a certain speed/load/pressure ...
Last edited by atanatizante on 14 May 2022, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

silver

With where the W13 stands, it brings me to this point to ask the oft beaten question, what is the role of a driver, a lead driver of the team in developing a car? How much is a driver responsible for guiding the development of a car?

SiLo

silver wrote:
13 May 2022, 15:35
With where the W13 stands, it brings me to this point to ask the oft beaten question, what is the role of a driver, a lead driver of the team in developing a car? How much is a driver responsible for guiding the development of a car?
It's pretty big once the initial version of the car has been launched. Up until that point I imagine they have far less impact, probably more involved in suspension setup etc.

Once the car is launched though, they are the only ones that know what it feels like to drive, so they have to feedback a huge amount to the engineers to know if things are working or not. Yes they run big aero rakes to confirm simulations, but the driver is the only other part of the system that can give feedback on what works and what doesn't.
Felipe Baby!

Jambier

silver wrote:
13 May 2022, 15:35
It depends, for instance a driver can't do nothing to improve purpoising

matteosc

PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 May 2022, 14:34
pursue_one's wrote:
12 May 2022, 22:46

Ok. Could be this weeked!
I think more likely in the week before the weekend, so that they will move everything only once.