2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
chrisc90

Re: 2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

I dare bet RB will soon throw an appeal/protest in.

Sure FIA can look at what designs/cfd etc have been done prior to the bodywork being run, so if they cant account for a VERY good papertrail of their own sketches, I reckon they'll be in a bit of bother.

FIA laser scanning should bring up similarities very quickly

Neuron

What a ugly team... capable only to copy the others...

AR3-GP

Re: Aston Martin AMR22

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
19 May 2022, 20:58
morefirejules08 wrote:
19 May 2022, 20:46
organic wrote:
19 May 2022, 20:24

Well previously this team copied a 2019 car for the 2020 season, whereas here they've gone one better and copied the RB 2022 for the 2022 season; one can assume a frontrunner of the previous season would not be the front in the following year through development rate of other teams, but that's not the case for a current fast car being copied.
Pretty sure AM didn’t copy RB’s car in just 3 months. I would suggest it has more to do with a particular aero engineer moving from one team to the other.
I'm not so sure it is. He only started work at Aston Martin at the start of April. I don't know how long it would have taken to redesign the car to a different teams design, but it seems too soon. However, that could explain why it is basically a carbon copy and not adapted to their own car design
He could have advised them to copy it becaues he thought it was "the best concept". So they got an early start, and now they have him to coach them through the development.

AMG.Tzan

organic wrote:
19 May 2022, 18:20

RB sidepods! And also the same layout of cooling louvres as the RB18. Also a similar looking edge to the floor! :D
Can't believe they copied Red Bull's sidepods! This is not just copying a design concept! They copied to the point where you can't even find any difference between RB's and AM's sidepods...

Although copying another team's ideas isn't new or bad by any means...copying it to such an extent while also having done exactly the same thing 2 years ago, just makes Aston Martin look like a small inexperienced team!

Copying your rival will get you closer to the top, but it will never get you to the top! Aston Martin has to realize this sometime in the near future, because otherwise Stroll's money and investments in new facilities won't help get them to the top...
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

bonjon1979

That's brilliant. Hats of to them for the chutzpah.

fsliv

:lol: :lol: gotta love AM =D> A lot of you all are in your feelings. I have a bag of popcorn watching this develop through the weekend. :shock:

BlueCheetah66

AMG.Tzan wrote:
19 May 2022, 21:16
organic wrote:
19 May 2022, 18:20

RB sidepods! And also the same layout of cooling louvres as the RB18. Also a similar looking edge to the floor! :D
Can't believe they copied Red Bull's sidepods! This is not just copying a design concept! They copied to the point where you can't even find any difference between RB's and AM's sidepods...

Although copying another team's ideas isn't new or bad by any means...copying it to such an extent while also having done exactly the same thing 2 years ago, just makes Aston Martin look like a small inexperienced team!

Copying your rival will get you closer to the top, but it will never get you to the top! Aston Martin has to realize this sometime in the near future, because otherwise Stroll's money and investments in new facilities won't help get them to the top...
Tbf to them the first time was more to buy them extra time and resources for these regulation changes. COVID kinda ruined that plan for them.

Owen.C93

More of a downfall of other teams IMO that copy an idea roughly instead of what AM do.

They aren't trying to win the WCC this year, so I don't know why people are pointing out they won't beat RB with this car.

The point it to take a working concept and try and understand it.

It worked out great a couple of years ago, even though they didn't have all the suspension details needed to get it to work fully.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Zynerji

If the plan is to "cheat" the cost cap by planning to carry the 2022 car into 2023 and save the chassis costs. They should be testing all leading concepts that they can. Then refine over 2023.

PlatinumZealot

AR3-GP wrote:
19 May 2022, 20:42
PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 May 2022, 20:00
It's just a copy from photos and eye witness accounts.

Saves a boatload of design and CFD time! Smart move espeicially since it's the start of a new formula!

So much for the Mercedes sensing them files and 3D scans! Lol.
Why would they need photos? They have RB's aero chief from last season.
Are you saying Dan Fellows carried a dossier of RedBull drawings to Aston Martin?

You need photos. Every now and then I reverse engineering myself (both machines and structures) and photos, lots of photos are key to that process.

The RedBull aero chief can advise them how to it works and what to expect but he won't have any drawings with him. And he is not allowed to recreate the design even from memory.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Stu

organic wrote:
19 May 2022, 18:32
GrizzleBoy wrote:
19 May 2022, 18:31
Wow. Will be extremely interesting to see how it works on track!

If it has mad porpoising it willay end the floor vs suspension porpoising cause debate once and for all.
Yes that is a great point. Well once again I have to thank tracing point because even though I look down on it, it's providing thoroughly interesting technical talking points :D
Got nothing to add to this, but it bears repeating!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

NAPI10

If it's within the rules, then you can argue all day long to no avail. Nothing matters if it's fast.

Zynerji

Love it!

Swed3120

What an absolute joke of a team , just shows they have zero engineering ability other than „monkey see , monkey do“.
Will probably be something very similar to 2020 where they decided( read pressured by the Canadian moron) to just copy something quick without having a single clue on how to set it up for a race , never mind actually developing it, will gain them a few tenths for 1 or 2 races and then they start to fall back further and further, truly hope they get a massive fine from the FiA and a complete ban from the 2023 wdc

AR3-GP

PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 May 2022, 22:53
AR3-GP wrote:
19 May 2022, 20:42
PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 May 2022, 20:00
It's just a copy from photos and eye witness accounts.

Saves a boatload of design and CFD time! Smart move espeicially since it's the start of a new formula!

So much for the Mercedes sensing them files and 3D scans! Lol.
Why would they need photos? They have RB's aero chief from last season.
Are you saying Dan Fellows carried a dossier of RedBull drawings to Aston Martin?

You need photos. Every now and then I reverse engineering myself (both machines and structures) and photos, lots of photos are key to that process.

The RedBull aero chief can advise them how to it works and what to expect but he won't have any drawings with him. And he is not allowed to recreate the design even from memory.
No I'm not saying anybody made copies of dossiers at Fedex print shop. I'm just saying it would be like Adrian Newey wearing a Mercedes shirt next week. The ideas in his head are still his. He's still going to build the same kind of car no matter what team's shirt he wears.