2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
napoleon1981

Re: Aston Martin AMR22

PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 May 2022, 22:53
AR3-GP wrote:
19 May 2022, 20:42
PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 May 2022, 20:00
It's just a copy from photos and eye witness accounts.

Saves a boatload of design and CFD time! Smart move espeicially since it's the start of a new formula!

So much for the Mercedes sensing them files and 3D scans! Lol.
Why would they need photos? They have RB's aero chief from last season.
Are you saying Dan Fellows carried a dossier of RedBull drawings to Aston Martin?

You need photos. Every now and then I reverse engineering myself (both machines and structures) and photos, lots of photos are key to that process.

The RedBull aero chief can advise them how to it works and what to expect but he won't have any drawings with him. And he is not allowed to recreate the design even from memory.
Well clearly it got re-created. Reverse engineering is a lot easier if you understand the philosophy behind the concept, and what it is trying to accomplish. I would imagine that if you understand what a concept is trying to accomplish and know the numerical targets that it hits, it would be fairly easy to re-create in some iterations of CFD. In fact this would be more powerful then copying from pictures.

senja

Swed3120 wrote:
20 May 2022, 00:20
What an absolute joke of a team , just shows they have zero engineering ability other than „monkey see , monkey do“.
Will probably be something very similar to 2020 where they decided( read pressured by the Canadian moron) to just copy something quick without having a single clue on how to set it up for a race , never mind actually developing it, will gain them a few tenths for 1 or 2 races and then they start to fall back further and further, truly hope they get a massive fine from the FiA and a complete ban from the 2023 wdc
:lol: :lol: :lol: You are a joke, man. They been 3rd fastest car in 2020. 2021 was worse because of rules change, and they didn't plan to run that car in 2021 because this years' rules were planned for 2021...

McG

Naughty boy Dan. How long was his gardening leave?
F1 is dead.

diffuser

Re: 2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

chrisc90 wrote:
19 May 2022, 21:00
I dare bet RB will soon throw an appeal/protest in.

Sure FIA can look at what designs/cfd etc have been done prior to the bodywork being run, so if they cant account for a VERY good papertrail of their own sketches, I reckon they'll be in a bit of bother.

FIA laser scanning should bring up similarities very quickly
It looks more like early Alpine more than RB. This isn't an exact copy of anything. You're allowed to apply other teams ideas in your own way. They have done that.

silver

chrisc90 wrote:
19 May 2022, 21:00
I dare bet RB will soon throw an appeal/protest in.

Sure FIA can look at what designs/cfd etc have been done prior to the bodywork being run, so if they cant account for a VERY good papertrail of their own sketches, I reckon they'll be in a bit of bother.

FIA laser scanning should bring up similarities very quickly
In my opinion, redbull should be happy to see if their copied concept puts AM ahead of Mercedes. If AM can continue to develop that concept for next year with Dan Fallows coming in and still manage to stay ahead of Mercedes, then it's still a good situation. I doubt if AM can really rival redbull this year or next.

pierrre

Image should be all good, no problems here

aran.vtec

excited to see what alpines Otmar Szafnauer has to say about this new car :D

Tzk
Tzk

While i don't like the idea of carbon copying another concept, i still got a lot of respect for the design department. They basically admit that their approach doesn't work as well as others, analysed the available solutions on the grid, copied the RB18 and even managed to make it work on their current flow structure on their car. So they must have verified this in CFD and their wind tunnel - remarkable and quite fast work. Hats off to them.

EDIT:
snap. thought i was posting in the team thread... feel free to move.
Last edited by Tzk on 20 May 2022, 09:05, edited 2 times in total.

mattiebee99

After calling the previous effort the pink Mercedes’, I guess were calling this latest attempt ‘ The Green Bull’.

JordanMugen

Ashwinv16 wrote:
20 May 2022, 06:53
RB18 vs AMR22B
Did AMR really think their original design had no potential to be a top midfield or front runner at all, given they must have immediately decided to put all their efforts into copying a (rather different) rival design? :?:

Raleigh

JordanMugen wrote:
20 May 2022, 10:51
Ashwinv16 wrote:
20 May 2022, 06:53
RB18 vs AMR22B
Did AMR really think their original design had no potential to be a top midfield or front runner at all, given they must have immediately decided to put all their efforts into copying a (rather different) rival design? :?:
Dan Fallows was leading the RBR 2022 aero design, he's naturally going to want to continue that design philosophy rather than start over on a completely new aero concept.

AeroDynamic

BlueCheetah66

If they manage to actually prove the car they brought here was in the wind tunnel back then, this is really odd. I don't see how that's even possible

GrizzleBoy

I suppose this car concept must have been conceived a very very long time ago.

Remember that these cars were originally supposed to be designed, tested and race ready for 2021 and only got delayed due to covid.

CaribouBread

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
20 May 2022, 13:18
If they manage to actually prove the car they brought here was in the wind tunnel back then, this is really odd. I don't see how that's even possible
Apparently the 'B-spec' was in the windtunnel in November! The FIA seems convinced of CAD models they showed from last Autumn.
Fallow's gardening leave ended on April so maybe he proposed some tweaks and additions but they seem to have come to the same fundamental idea and decided to slap on the development work RB has already done upto now?