Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sevach

Re: Red Bull RB18

A little more cooling for Monaco.

VacuousFlamboyant

Sevach wrote:
27 May 2022, 22:05
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FTxpI49XoAM ... name=large
A little more cooling for Monaco.
Tricky one, but it looks like just the angle and difference in lighting.

Henk_v

lio007 wrote:
27 May 2022, 11:29

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... eta-1.webp

Do they have a small Cooler in the floor beneath the sidepod inlet? Or is it a carbon fluid tank of some sort? On second look, its carbon, not a grille...

wogx

Has anyone ordered a Roasted Bull?

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

f1motta

TimW

Nice photo this is! Much better for judging the tunnel depth than the previous photos we've seen. Also the floor shape around the skate.

Is it me, or did they also create venturis between the strakes? Could well be the reflections, but it appears a bit if they contract and expand again(in height).

GrizzleBoy

TimW wrote:
28 May 2022, 22:53
Nice photo this is! Much better for judging the tunnel depth than the previous photos we've seen. Also the floor shape around the skate.

Is it me, or did they also create venturis between the strakes? Could well be the reflections, but it appears a bit if they contract and expand again(in height).
They're also not flat from top to bottom. They have some kind of scooped channel curvature that seems like it would create extra low pressure behind them to curve the air round the back of them.

Andi76

SiLo wrote:
26 May 2022, 14:21
I'm still very intrigued as to the purpose of this spring looking contraption at this part of the car. I can only assume the bib can actually flex somewhat under load and this stop it from snapping. So if they go over a curb hard this flexes the floor rather than having a rigid section that would just break.
This reminds me and looks like a modern, complex version of a feature introduced in 2003 by Ferrari and Rory Byrne. It was part of a concept based on the floor flexing and this feature allowed it to flex in this area, too. Gains of this concept was of course a better sealing of the underfloor, air speeding up(this features contribtion) and the result was more downforce, of course. In 2007, as part of the Spygate scandal, Stepney made this public, but indeed this was introduced in 2003 already and the 2007 version was an evolution of this. Maybe RBRs spring looking contraption has a totally different purpose, but i could imagine its there for exactly the same purpose.

tok-tokkie

That picture is going to be studied by all the other teams. Shows the details of the relationship of the vanes, kink in the floor & port at the outside & also the skate.
I look forward to informed discussion about it.

Henk_v

Probably more to study this weekend on strolls RB floor :D

GrrG

f1ingenerale

warpomex

GrizzleBoy wrote:
29 May 2022, 00:51
TimW wrote:

They're also not flat from top to bottom. They have some kind of scooped channel curvature that seems like it would create extra low pressure behind them to curve the air round the back of them.
Yeah, it looks like a double venturi.... one at the inlet that expands into the middle of the floor and then another venturi at the back... there is an elaborate design that may or may not be the best solution but makes it look like the other floors are simple in comparison.

matteosc

warpomex wrote:
30 May 2022, 06:52
GrizzleBoy wrote:
29 May 2022, 00:51
TimW wrote:

Yeah, it looks like a double venturi.... one at the inlet that expands into the middle of the floor and then another venturi at the back... there is an elaborate design that may or may not be the best solution but makes it look like the other floors are simple in comparison.
This is just impressive. Not sure how it compares to other teams, but it really looks amazing...
(Not the most technical comment, sorry).

hollus

f1motta wrote:
28 May 2022, 22:30
That wear pattern is fascinating. Why are the unworn parts unworn? Which type of shape/flexibility allows that?
Aldo, the 2 converging outer strakes… can they be designed to simply overflow the air, thus sealing the floor entry and delaying the unavoidable inbound lateral flow?
Rivals, not enemies.

Stu

There are so many interesting details to this floor! The volume of the tunnels, the details in the floor edge (both sides), the strakes.

It would be very interesting to see what the ‘spec-B’ AM underfloor looks like… 😈
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.