Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
tpe
tpe

Re: Ferrari F1-75

The logical thing is to homologate a full set of components in one race. Then use them at will.

tpe
tpe

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

How can someone find out if an engine failure is because of overheating?
I suspect they have some signs, but what are they?
And if the engine overheads, is it purely on the engine side or the cooling pack can help them?

AR3-GP

michl420 wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 18:25
AR3-GP wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 00:20
Don't they have climate chambers for the Power unit dyno?
I think an engine don`t care what climate it is. water and oil temperatur it is what count. And of course cylinder pressure.
I mean generally speaking, a way to simulate the heating and cooling of the engine and heat soak under the engine cover.

Big Tea

tpe wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 20:45
How can someone find out if an engine failure is because of overheating?
I suspect they have some signs, but what are they?
And if the engine overheads, is it purely on the engine side or the cooling pack can help them?
Its not the overheating that does the damage, it is what causes other things to fail.
It is usually not getting the heat away from where it is produced fast enough and something goes above its highest allowed operating temperature and melts or expands too much and 'lock up'. Some things just plain melt, but I would not think there are many in a F1 engine. The other problem is the oil being too hot and becoming a vapour instead of being where it should be.

There are lots of other things, but they can usually tell by which parts failed.
Sorry if I have answered too simply, but I dont know how much you already know and assumed you were asking 'in general' Apologies if you are a boffin :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Big Tea

tpe wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 20:28
The logical thing is to homologate a full set of components in one race. Then use them at will.
Sam Collins said he has to take a turbo charger too and suggests he take one from the old (previous) engine or it will be a 10 place drop

chrisc90

Oh wow. Didnt realise they were in that much of a tight situation with the turbos! I wonder what the chances are of swapping the turbos over within a week.

tpe
tpe

I think I am a bit over that, since I do understand the basics :D , but I do appreciate your answer. And from it, I understand that, usually, they can pin-point the root cause and they are not just guess what could possibly went wrong.

And also, it is possible to fix the issue with another cooling solution, right?

aleks_ader

Normally heat soak under engine cover is not primarily cause for overheating. Ofc heat soak can effect CE, BMS or other electronics but that is other matter. Those Ferrari failures really seems mechanically destructive failures (seals, cracks, o-rings or whatever else).

After all that in grand scheme of things PU is somewhat agnostic to those soak effects and dont really do much damage. Main cooling causes are coming directly from oil, water temps. Other thing is gravity. That cant be simulated sadly. Although I believe purposing is simulated on dyno via "dynamic-simulated" fixtures via shaking post rigs.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

codetower

So it appears that the ICE and Turbo are both in-salvageable for Leclerc. They will bring a 3rd ICE with possibly the firs turbo (the only one they have in the pool) to avoid penalties.

Here’s the English translated article:
https://scuderiafans.com/baku-ferrari-i ... -salvaged/

Alexf1

codetower wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 13:07
So it appears that the ICE and Turbo are both in-salvageable for Leclerc. They will bring a 3rd ICE with possibly the firs turbo (the only one they have in the pool) to avoid penalties.

I thought you were not allowed to race a previous spec as soon as you've introduced a new spec, which according to AMUS and this same website they did on PU2 (reliability upgrade) https://scuderiafans.com/ferrari-were-a ... y-problem/ or is the reliabity upgrade not done on the turbo but on the ICE after all?
Last edited by Alexf1 on 14 Jun 2022, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

dialtone

Alexf1 wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 16:12
codetower wrote:

I thought you were not allowed to race a previous spec as soon as you've introduced a new spec, which according to AMUS and this same website they did on PU2 (reliability upgrade) https://scuderiafans.com/ferrari-were-a ... y-problem/ or is the reliabity upgrade done on a different component than the ones we're talking about here?
I don't remember this rule in the past, once an engine is homologated you can bring it wherever you want.

Alexf1

dialtone wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 16:14
Alexf1 wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 16:12
codetower wrote:

I thought you were not allowed to race a previous spec as soon as you've introduced a new spec, which according to AMUS and this same website they did on PU2 (reliability upgrade) https://scuderiafans.com/ferrari-were-a ... y-problem/ or is the reliabity upgrade done on a different component than the ones we're talking about here?
I don't remember this rule in the past, once an engine is homologated you can bring it wherever you want.
You're right. It's only when you're under parc ferme that you cannot use a different/previous spec. Sorry

PlatinumZealot

I can't see Ferrari winning the case for a reliability upgrade because there are too many factors against them.

1. Their rivals will try to stop them
2. Their engines can be turned down and still be within the acceptable range of horsepower
3. The engines seem to fail near end of life and not start of life.
4. It could be a performane gainer that is causing the problems now.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dxpetrov

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 18:16
I can't see Ferrari winning the case for a reliability upgrade because there are too many factors against them.

2. Their engines can be turned down and still be within the acceptable range of horsepower
Only problem is that engine (P2 PU) failed after 3 races - Miami, Spain and not even third of Baku GP.

Big Tea

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 18:16

I think maybe some of the teams will want 'brownie points' in the bank with Ferrari so may chose the option that would do them the least harm short term. Merc are not going to catch either Ferrari or RBR so it will not matter to them which order they are in infront of them, and the other Ferrari engine teams are not in critical positions to anyone else.

It would seem to be one of the best possible times for Ferrari to try.