2022 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 01 - 03

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Shrieker

Re: 2022 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 01 - 03

Damn, this pic is something like straight outta road rash omg :lol:
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

F1doc
F1doc

214270 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:00
This is why I hate Chandhok sometimes. He has the sky pad on slo-motion trying to pretend Ferrari had enough time to react for LEC. It was v marginal for LEC, let alone having the time to double-stack, it would’ve been chaos.
But Ferrari did have time to react. They have lost sharpness as a championship winning team. I empathise with Leclerc as the team has made many questionable calls so far this season.

Schumix
Schumix

ambientnoiz wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:45
Charles interview on binotto: “he wanted to cheer me up” by scolding him lmao
Charles Leclerc should leave Ferrari if he is dreaming to win a championship in his carreer. He is burning his talent with Ferrari as Vettel and Alonso did before him.
Binotto is not a result-oriented leader. I think he should take some training with Christian Horner or Toto Wolff

Schippke
Schippke

214270 wrote:
This is why I hate Chandhok sometimes. He has the sky pad on slo-motion trying to pretend Ferrari had enough time to react for LEC. It was v marginal for LEC, let alone having the time to double-stack, it would’ve been chaos.
Ok... but when they saw the Alpine coming to a stop on the actual track, right before all the high-speed stuff, SURELY they should've prepared for a potential pitstop for both cars in that position? Anybody that saw Ocon coming to a stop knew a VSC OR Safety Car was inbound... so yeah, Ferrari did have ample time at that point to Pit both cars. Or at the very least, pit the one in the lead. :roll:

Watto
Watto

chrisc90 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:39
Watto wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:37
west52keep64 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:21
So Ferrari tried to lie to Carlos and tell him there was some rule where he had to leave 10 car lengths to Leclerc.... that's an insane breakdown of trust between the team and the driver. Unreal.
I don't think they lied to him, just think they were trying to make use of the rules to protect Charles. Knowing he was likely a sitting duck make the most of the within 10 car lengths be at the back of that.

But it was a pretty poor call. It would have just put Sainz under pressure.

Was a great race for Lewis did very well.

A race to forget for Max but only drops 6 points to Charles
Good race for Lewis. be interesting to see if their performance keeps up. I dont think there is much 'change' to running order at the minute though given charles and max carrying damage.

The 6 point drop to charles is a godsend for Max today. Same as it would have been if Charles P1 and Max P2, so no major loss for the championship title in that respect.
I think RB would have feared a 25 point drop to Charles after the damage.

I thought too it was great the Stewarts too allow the racing at the end, they all pushed the limits but I think were aware enough not run into one another

Watching the replay just then too Ferarri had plenty of time to make the cal to pit LeClerc. Their stratagist yet again had a bit of a mare.

Agree re Hamilton, though I do think he was much closer this week too, I think it will only make the racing even better if he and Merc are close to RB and Ferarri. For one to keep them both on their toes, and Hamilton looks like he is refreshed again will be good to see the battle with he and George now with better performance.

Shrieker

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:53
DChemTech wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:50
Poleman wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:44

You are not getting hit if you are not turning in to the car next to you :wink:
True, Hamilton did a much better job making the corner this time :)
Charles didn't try to take his nose off... :D
Hamilton was extra careful after what happened last year, and Charles by the looks of it didn't jerk suddenly towards Hamilton like Max did. It's no surprise Max aficionados think this is what Hamilton should've done last year, without remembering, a) it takes two to tango and b) the biggest different variable being Max's absence. The irony is completely lost on them :lol:
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

ambientnoiz
ambientnoiz

DChemTech wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:56
GrizzleBoy wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:40

You could go back to lap 1 where Charles caused a collision with Checo.
Lap 1 incidents are understanded to be officiated differently though as a rule of thumb for years and years.

The stewards literally made new rules this year to stop max doing what he did to Lewis over and over again in 2021, then let him do it lap after lap to mick Schumacher today.

And let Checo cut the track to overtake Charles, then almost immediately push Lewis off track to overtake him.

It's a joke.
Between Perez and Leclerc there was too much of a mess, in the first lap with a very late action by Leclerc, and after the restart with some feisty attacking from Perez and aggressive defending from Leclerc. After the restart, Hamilton initially profited from that, and then later was unfortunately hampered by Perez. Hard to distinctively say what should be penalized and what not (without killing racing altogether).

Max on Schumacher on the other hand was unnecessary. Max should have had to give to place to Mick.
The key denominator is perez, a repeat offender. And if both rb drivers were penalized accordingly, everyone would lose their s* and say theres a conspiracy etc

PlatinumZealot

Clumsy by Ferrari, but at least Sainz broke his duck. Exciting race in the last few laps.

I can't help but feel Ocon should be penalized for "fixing" the race there. He had so much time since the problem to roll into the pits. Probably was trying to help Alonso there.

Latiffi still on zero points after all of that! Crazy races like that don't come around so often; he wont get a chance like this again.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

chrisc90

Wonder what would have happened with Lewis had he stayed on his preferred hard tyres.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ambientnoiz wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:07
DChemTech wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:

Lap 1 incidents are understanded to be officiated differently though as a rule of thumb for years and years.

The stewards literally made new rules this year to stop max doing what he did to Lewis over and over again in 2021, then let him do it lap after lap to mick Schumacher today.

And let Checo cut the track to overtake Charles, then almost immediately push Lewis off track to overtake him.

It's a joke.
Between Perez and Leclerc there was too much of a mess, in the first lap with a very late action by Leclerc, and after the restart with some feisty attacking from Perez and aggressive defending from Leclerc. After the restart, Hamilton initially profited from that, and then later was unfortunately hampered by Perez. Hard to distinctively say what should be penalized and what not (without killing racing altogether).

Max on Schumacher on the other hand was unnecessary. Max should have had to give to place to Mick.
The key denominator is perez, a repeat offender. And if both rb drivers were penalized accordingly, everyone would lose their s* and say theres a conspiracy etc
Sergio does have form for "robust" driving - he's pushed his own team mate in to the wall on more than one occasion.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Watto
Watto

214270 wrote:
I think they had enough time to make the call if they were switch on. Merc and RB in their prime make split second call with incidences like that is seems like too often Ferarri are caught out with things like that.

I may now have been the eternity Chandok tried to make out but I think a team on their toes could have made the call

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

chrisc90 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:09
Wonder what would have happened with Lewis had he stayed on his preferred hard tyres.
Likely have struggled like Charles did. With Perez in the very fast Red Bull on softs behind them, anyone on "old" hards would have been toast. That RB is too fast to be able to withstand with a tyre disadvantage throw in as well.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

DChemTech
DChemTech

ambientnoiz wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:07
DChemTech wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:

It's a joke.

Being involved in something isn't the same as being to blame for something. Both Perez and Leclerc were over the line in their antics at some point; don't put it all on Checo.

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:52

That is one very lucky young man. Glad, and very surprised, to see him entirely uninjured and talking to Domenicalli in the paddock. The space he ended up in needs to be looked at for future events - perhaps some additional tyres or something else to fill that gap a bit.
Its a walk way for track workers isn't it?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

DChemTech
DChemTech

Shrieker wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:06
Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:53
DChemTech wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:50

True, Hamilton did a much better job making the corner this time :)
Charles didn't try to take his nose off... :D
Hamilton was extra careful after what happened last year, and Charles by the looks of it didn't jerk suddenly towards Hamilton like Max did. It's no surprise Max aficionados think this is what Hamilton should've done last year, without remembering, a) it takes two to tango and b) the biggest different variable being Max's absence. The irony is completely lost on them :lol:
I suppose the real lesson here is that some still cannot admit Lewis makes mistakes, too (for which he was penalized, remember). Luckily, he did seem to have learned from last year, and we can only commend him for a great performance this year. Perhaps that is the point to discuss, instead of stabbing at last year's dead horse once again.