2022 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 01 - 03

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
chrisc90

Re: 2022 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 01 - 03

Big Tea wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:12
Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:52

That is one very lucky young man. Glad, and very surprised, to see him entirely uninjured and talking to Domenicalli in the paddock. The space he ended up in needs to be looked at for future events - perhaps some additional tyres or something else to fill that gap a bit.
Its a walk way for track workers isn't it?
I think irrespective of what it is, little bit of space for marshal post, or just a bit inbetween the safety fence and armco/tyres, the gap should certainly be addressed.

renault rs26
renault rs26

DChemTech wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:39
Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:37
2021 - Christian: you can't overtake in Copse.
2022 - Charles: hold my beer, man, heeereeee weeeee goooooo! 8) :lol:
To be fair, Charles was driving on the outside, as Max was in 2021. So clearly, not impossible to take the outside line and get through without being hit ;)
Hamilton commented on that not realizing he was the problem. :roll:

Shrieker

chrisc90 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:09
Wonder what would have happened with Lewis had he stayed on his preferred hard tyres.
They take a good two laps to warm up. He %100 wouldn't have won.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

alexx_88
alexx_88

Watto wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:09
214270 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:00
This is why I hate Chandhok sometimes. He has the sky pad on slo-motion trying to pretend Ferrari had enough time to react for LEC. It was v marginal for LEC, let alone having the time to double-stack, it would’ve been chaos.
I think they had enough time to make the call if they were switch on. Merc and RB in their prime make split second call with incidences like that is seems like too often Ferarri are caught out with things like that.
With all the Ferrari strategy blunders I don't thin it's the fault of one man. I think it's a missing component in their strategy toolbox. The other top teams have simulation software running all the time, in anticipation of scenarios like this. So it's one glance and the strategist knows the most likely outcome.

Ferrari almost seem to react like there's one person doing the calculations and making the decision.
Last edited by alexx_88 on 03 Jul 2022, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

mzivtins
mzivtins

renault rs26 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:15
DChemTech wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:39
Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:37
2021 - Christian: you can't overtake in Copse.
2022 - Charles: hold my beer, man, heeereeee weeeee goooooo! 8) :lol:
To be fair, Charles was driving on the outside, as Max was in 2021. So clearly, not impossible to take the outside line and get through without being hit ;)
Hamilton commented on that not realizing he was the problem. :roll:
OH God let it die

The way the cars world work last year meant massive aero wash caused understeer in hamiltons car from the outwash from verstappens car.

Racing incident and it was awarded with a penalty. Done and dusted.

graham.reeds
graham.reeds

I think the last 10 laps show that the cars can race close in the dirty air.

Shrieker

mzivtins wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:20

The way the cars world work last year meant massive aero wash caused understeer in hamiltons car from the outwash from verstappens car.

I did the analysis here last year, and there was no significant understeer either, if at all. They're never gonna let this die. In their minds, Hamilton punted him off and won the race.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

PlatinumZealot

Weak defense by Lewis. He's too kind in defending when the other drivers are not gentlemanly in their battles.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ringo

Hamilton driver of the race for me. Applying the pressure in a slower car.
Perez.. i'm not sure, just had the fastest car and got lucky. I was surprised he did not win the race after the SC. But he should have been penalized for his antics.
What today revealed though..is Leclerc is on 10 different levels to Sainz. And this is why it was wise for Ferrari to give the Sainz the win. Get the monkey off his back, satisfy his self esteem and chip on the shoulder, then let him know he owes them one and he needs to support Leclerc going forward.
Sainz is happy, but today he learned how much faster Charles is. Charles had a broken car and did the time delta in no time while Sainz was struggling to do it to stay ahead. It's chalk and cheese. Leclerc is very impressive. Super talented!

Max.. was very strong and smart up to the accident. But is to miserable and grumpy when things don't go his way.

Hamilton showed why he is the GOAT. I don't think we fully appreciate what took place today in that dog of a car. the W13 was pressuring the strategists of both redbull and ferrari. You don't see any midfield team ever doing that to a front running team. Had Ocon not fixed the race for Alonso, Hamilton may have been able to overtake both Sainz and Leclerc with the hard tyre delta of 10 laps.

Russel showed his inexperience and also his sense of entitlement. He caused that accident because he wanted so badly to be up the front on the first lap. Then he also tried to do politicking to get his car back on the grid. Once the engine cuts out, and the driver cannot start the car, and its on 3 wheels.. Why does he think he deserves to restart?

Anyhow I am not blaming Ferrari. They made the right decisions. Hamilton would have won if they stacked the cars.
For Sure!!

mzivtins
mzivtins

Shrieker wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:24
mzivtins wrote:

I did the analysis here last year, and there was no significant understeer either, if at all. They're never gonna let this die. In their minds, Hamilton punted him off and won the race.
OH damn, so really that outwash was effectively negligable? Gonna check your link, cheers man

DChemTech
DChemTech

Shrieker wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:24
mzivtins wrote:

"they" are never gonna let it go... yet the first one to bring it up was, to my knowledge, a Hamilton supporter, as were most of the subsequent comments. Who is not going to let it go, exactly?

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:52
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/9 ... tsihgp.jpg

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/9 ... 4_zhou.jpg

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/9 ... 1_zhou.jpg

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/9 ... tishgp.jpg

That is one very lucky young man. Glad, and very surprised, to see him entirely uninjured and talking to Domenicalli in the paddock. The space he ended up in needs to be looked at for future events - perhaps some additional tyres or something else to fill that gap a bit.
The problem is that the car got there, not that the gap between the tires and fence exists. The Marshalls and photographers use that space. He would have not been sent airborne if there was no gravel there .

Shrieker

ringo wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:25

Anyhow I am not blaming Ferrari. They made the right decisions. Hamilton would have won if they stacked the cars.
Press X to doubt.

Hamilton had massive trouble warming up the softs on the restart, and all of them on softs would've meant he wouldn't have taken the lead from 2nd (assuming he'd have passed Sainz in the pits to steal 2nd to begin with). And then no pit + hards obviously would've seen him get butchered. Those things take 2 laps to warm up.
Last edited by Shrieker on 03 Jul 2022, 19:30, edited 2 times in total.
-Atatürk

chrisc90

ringo wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:25
Hamilton driver of the race for me. Applying the pressure in a slower car.
Perez.. i'm not sure, just had the fastest car and got lucky. I was surprised he did not win the race after the SC. But he should have been penalized for his antics.
What today revealed though..is Leclerc is on 10 different levels to Sainz. And this is why it was wise for Ferrari to give the Sainz the win. Get the monkey off his back, satisfy his self esteem and chip on the shoulder, then let him know he owes them one and he needs to support Leclerc going forward.
Sainz is happy, but today he learned how much faster Charles is. Charles had a broken car and did the time delta in no time while Sainz was struggling to do it to stay ahead. It's chalk and cheese. Leclerc is very impressive. Super talented!

Max.. was very strong and smart up to the accident. But is to miserable and grumpy when things don't go his way.

Hamilton showed why he is the GOAT. I don't think we fully appreciate what took place today in that dog of a car. the W13 was pressuring the strategists of both redbull and ferrari. You don't see any midfield team ever doing that to a front running team. Had Ocon not fixed the race for Alonso, Hamilton may have been able to overtake both Sainz and Leclerc with the hard tyre delta of 10 laps.

Russel showed his inexperience and also his sense of entitlement. He caused that accident because he wanted so badly to be up the front on the first lap. Then he also tried to do politicking to get his car back on the grid. Once the engine cuts out, and the driver cannot start the car, and its on 3 wheels.. Why does he think he deserves to restart?

Very unlikely given how long it took Charles to get up to speed. Charles dropped 3 places on the hard tyre. Would have been the same for Lewis. Finally a good call from the team to pit him for fresh tyres under the SC.

Had he stayed out, he would have had sainz and Perez on fresh softs at the end. Sitting duck.

f1jcw
f1jcw

I was disgusted with Max being allowed to just drive Mick right off the track and nothing done about it.