2022 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 01 - 03

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mstar
mstar

Re: 2022 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 01 - 03

can anyone elaborate why the stewards didn't investigate / apply penalty for Perez on lewis on last few laps AND max on mick ? i thought barging cars and running them off the track (when alongside), was now outlawed?

TwanV
TwanV

I saw only good close racing. IMHO the stewards just imagine the situation in comparison to the runoff tarmac being grass. If the attacker has no business being there, it's not a push off the track. From what I've seen this year, I believe regardless of what's written, that's the main rule being applied. Tend to agree too. LEC should've had a penalty for that divebomb in lap2 though.
Last edited by TwanV on 04 Jul 2022, 19:54, edited 3 times in total.

Sieper

mstar wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 19:44
can anyone elaborate why the stewards didn't investigate / apply penalty for Perez on lewis on last few laps AND max on mick ? i thought barging cars and running them off the track (when alongside), was now outlawed?
Perhaps for the same reason that none of the other moments were punished?

maxxer
maxxer

e30ernest wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 12:04
wogx wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 12:02
Was there an official opinion from stewards about Zhou's crash? Russell's fault? Gasly's fault? Racing accident?
Deemed a racing incident. I recalled seeing a no further investigation message shown on the screen.
One thing which was said in commentary was that some drivers started on hard tires which seemed to take laps to switch on maybe the range Pirelli took was bit too hard for this track?

mstar
mstar

Sieper wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 19:51
mstar wrote:
Perhaps for the same reason that none of the other moments were punished?
It seems this year its fine to run people off the track when alongside. Where LAST year (e.g norris and perez), this was seen as a 5 second penalty.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Schuttelberg wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 17:48
Can anyone explain how Norris just lost 1 position and why Leclerc like him didn't minimise the damage by pitting on the next lap? Is it to do with SC deltas and gaps?
I guess Ferrari were still trying to implement their 10 car lengths game plan, which made no sense to me.
But yeah I was wondering why Leclerc wasn't pitted the following lap as well, actually wouldn't he have been able to remain P1 after the pit stop? I don't really understand why Norris lost a position to Alonso. Aren't they driving at a delta, so pitting one lap later as long as the sc is still out should not matter?

chrisc90

mstar wrote:

They werent off the track. Not sure on the official rules are regarding a car width, but does that include the kerb or not?

If you look at the same Perez incident, then Charles should be punished too for pushing Perez off through the Vale chicane.

Sainz should have got punished for nearly pushing Max into the pit wall at the initial restart aswell.

sosic2121
sosic2121

Sieper wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 18:58
sosic2121 wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 18:39
Sieper wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 16:53

I don’t know, but is it safe to conclude you do not like C. Sainz Jr. very much?
I actually liked him till yesterday. I thought he is 4.5/5 driver till this season and I thought he's a team player till he pushed his teammate wide twice, while this one was vulnerable and needed his help.

I'm ferrari fan, not CL or CS fan. He went against his team yesterday.
He did. I must admit I don’t have any pushing CL off track actions clear for my eyes, but he was fighting for his own win for sure. He also nearly put Max in the wall at the restart and pushed him off track (officially not allowed right) several times.

There were a few moments that surprised me. In qualy Charles did not keep to the track when it mattered most (cost Max the pole) while Carlos took it fair and square. And after Carlos was pitted leclerc could not decrease his laptimes. Probably as his tires were gone due to sitting behind Sainz, but still, I was really expecting him to pick up the pace. It surprised me a bit.

The 10 cars at the restart ask was imho a bit of a stretch.
I agree with pretty much all of what you said.

But IMO while 10 lengths wouldn't do really much for leclerc, it also wouldn't cost Sainz. He would have closed the gap in half a lap, but maybe he would have bought Charles another lap to warm up the tires.
And Sainz could have passed Leclerc on the straight, and not hamper him like he did.
He could have even stayed 1s in front to give him DRS. But he decided the best course of action for him and his team is to push leclerc wide twice and to drive into distance to earn his first, and probably last win... If there is any sense in Binotto's that was a piric victory.

It's hard to not be disappointed with ferrari after this race. They are simply no match to Mercedes and Red bull. This was Germany 2018 moment once again.

marvin78
marvin78

No one asked for 10 cars. Sainz should cover Leclerc and be aware of the 10 car length. No one ever said, he should let 10 car lengths of space. That would be stupid.

sosic2121
sosic2121

marvin78 wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 21:19
No one asked for 10 cars. Sainz should cover Leclerc and be aware of the 10 car length. No one ever said, he should let 10 car lengths of space. That would be stupid.
Team asked him to increase the gap to Leclerc to give Leclerc a better chance to defend against pretty much everyone behind him.
He disobeyed.

Shrieker

chrisc90 wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 20:28
Sainz should have got punished for nearly pushing Max into the pit wall at the initial restart aswell.
Max was never in danger of being put in the wall. There was comfortably more than a car's width there. Not even close.

You could make an argument for the white line, but then again, it means Perez should've been penalized too for cutting the track outside the white lines overtaking Leclerc, and then Max pushing Mick wide at the exit of brooklands, and then pinching to make him back off on the final corner.

Equal penalties for everyone please. Stewarding was abhorrently awful this race. George Russell to my knowledge didn't even get investigated for causing a pile up and nearly getting someone killed on the original start.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

chrisc90

Shrieker wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 21:41
chrisc90 wrote:
Max was never in danger of being put in the wall. There was comfortably more than a car's width there. Not even close.

You could make an argument for the white line, but then again, it means Perez should've been penalized too for cutting the track outside the white lines overtaking Leclerc, and then Max pushing Mick wide at the exit of brooklands, and then pinching to make him back off on the final corner.

Equal penalties for everyone please. Stewarding was abhorrently awful this race. George Russell to my knowledge didn't even get investigated for causing a pile up and nearly getting someone killed on the original start.
Agree, it depends where you define the edge of the track. However, I believe it should be the white line, (which Max was 1/2 car over). Granted this section was tarmac/concrete, should it have a different rule of the edge of the track if it was grass there, as it would mean different interpretations of the rules. This year the track limits is the white line.
The start wasnt a isolated incident and there was many other examples of cars being pushed a little bit more than they should have.

I still think George should be investigated for that one. Didnt Bottas last year get a grid drop in Belgium after he was found at fault for cannonballing into the 1st corner after the race and had a 3 place drop afterwards?

cplchanb
cplchanb

chrisc90 wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 21:49
Shrieker wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 21:41
chrisc90 wrote:

Agree, it depends where you define the edge of the track. However, I believe it should be the white line, (which Max was 1/2 car over). Granted this section was tarmac/concrete, should it have a different rule of the edge of the track if it was grass there, as it would mean different interpretations of the rules. This year the track limits is the white line.
The start wasnt a isolated incident and there was many other examples of cars being pushed a little bit more than they should have.

I still think George should be investigated for that one. Didnt Bottas last year get a grid drop in Belgium after he was found at fault for cannonballing into the 1st corner after the race and had a 3 place drop afterwards?
well if anything this was similar to singapore 17. vet did not get any penalty for it.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

sosic2121 wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 21:34
marvin78 wrote:
Team asked him to increase the gap to Leclerc to give Leclerc a better chance to defend against pretty much everyone behind him.
He disobeyed.
That would have probably lost Ferrari the race win, as Sainz would have probably been overtaken by Perez etc then Charles tyres would have left him vulnerable. Sainz read the race correctly, the Ferrari pitwall did not. Yes he disobeyed the team, but you don't win races by playing it safe. I doubt Sainz wants to be a number 2 driver to Leclerc.

sosic2121
sosic2121

taperoo2k wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 22:15
sosic2121 wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 21:34
marvin78 wrote:
He disobeyed.
That would have probably lost Ferrari the race win, as Sainz would have probably been overtaken by Perez etc then Charles tyres would have left him vulnerable. Sainz read the race correctly, the Ferrari pitwall did not. Yes he disobeyed the team, but you don't win races by playing it safe. I doubt Sainz wants to be a number 2 driver to Leclerc.
Why would he be overtaken by Perez, other than his own incompetence?
Wasn't his Ferrari able to keep Verstappen behind until he ran out of talent?
Also, it wasn't Perez behind him, it was Hamilton.