2022 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 29 - 31

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Mr5in1

Re: 2022 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 29 - 31

There was a time when this was Red Bulls strongest track as it was a traction, low speed track, how times have changed, it should in theory favour Ferrari but you know...

Alonso and Hamilton tend to do well here love to see them both on the podium!

tpe
tpe

IF it rains, I wouldn't be surprised if Mick Schumacher gets his first win!
Just because in Hungary we have seen some pretty crazy things in the past, so, why not the impossible? :D

organic

Spoutnik wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 01:40
Forecasts for Sunday surely aren't anywhere near accurate on Monday. I don't bother checking them until at least Thursday if I do at all

If it holds true, a wet q/race should help RB I think (unless they are bowled into). In the dry they have no chance

PlatinumZealot

yamahasho wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 21:53
This may favor Mercedes as I recall Hungary is not a high speed track.

Can anyone give me the technicals details about Mercedes engine, why are they so down on power? Didn’t f1 engines get homologated? Does that occur at the beginning of the season? Or can teams continue to develop external engine parts?
Honda was down on top end last year the reason I’m asking and my intent is to find out exactly when they made the upgrade.
All the engines are within 4kW depending on track.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

yamahasho

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 03:43
yamahasho wrote:

Can anyone give me the technicals details about Mercedes engine, why are they so down on power? Didn’t f1 engines get homologated? Does that occur at the beginning of the season? Or can teams continue to develop external engine parts?
Honda was down on top end last year the reason I’m asking and my intent is to find out exactly when they made the upgrade.
All the engines are within 4kW depending on track.
Thanks but I’m not sure what that means, the difference? no one knows what the engines make so I can only assume RB and Ferrari have a better aero package.
Supercharged Ford Taurus SHO 5spd. Sold.
BMW 335i, N54 6spd tuned with tunerPro

erudite450

There seem to be high chances of thunderstorm on Saturday.

Wouter

yamahasho wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 22:28
organic wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 22:12
yamahasho wrote:

There was a large change in between 2021 and 2022 in terms of engines. They moved from E5 to E10 fuel which is doubling the amount of ethanol. The engines had to be changed to be efficient with the new fuel; clearly Honda did a better job at that adaptation than Mercedes
Curious how they managed that, ethanol creates a lot of cylinder wall wash, keeps them cooler, wonder if Honda is running more timing and hotter temps which could be the cause of their reliability issues in order to eek every bit out of it.

I don’t think Vest. should put it in cruise control, after spa, the cars may run different, he needs a big lead in case they lose their .5 sec a lap advantage.
What are you talking about ?!
What Honda reliability issues?
What 0.5s per lap lead from VER?
The Power of Dreams!

GrizzleBoy

Will be interesting to see the comparative performance between teams in a proper wet race weekend.

Especially now that the new aero concept is somewhat more mature, teams and drivers understand their cars more and the more violent type of porpoising seems all but eradicated.

mendis

yamahasho wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 22:28
organic wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 22:12
yamahasho wrote:

There was a large change in between 2021 and 2022 in terms of engines. They moved from E5 to E10 fuel which is doubling the amount of ethanol. The engines had to be changed to be efficient with the new fuel; clearly Honda did a better job at that adaptation than Mercedes
Curious how they managed that, ethanol creates a lot of cylinder wall wash, keeps them cooler, wonder if Honda is running more timing and hotter temps which could be the cause of their reliability issues in order to eek every bit out of it.

I don’t think Vest. should put it in cruise control, after spa, the cars may run different, he needs a big lead in case they lose their .5 sec a lap advantage.
You have a lot of catchup to do on 2022 engine side and you can visit a few other threads to bring yourself upto speed.

Where are you hearing this 0.5 second lap loss? Not a single authentic source has reported this, other than a few overworked fans. AMUs guys feels there would be no effect of of floor related technical directives. I think a few people are going to be disappointed in Spa.

F1Krof

Strongly agree. TD will do nothing to shake the order. As for Merc being down on straightline speed, it's because of their aero concept. They have too much drag versus the downforce they manage to create. Remember back in 2019, they were kind of on a similar situation, but the thing different back then was that they had comparatively good downforce to make up for the straightline disadvantage. This time around, relatively they could be in similar DF to Drag ratio, however compared to Red Bull and Ferrari, they are far back.

Hungaroring will be bonkers for Mercedes. Their high downforce setup is lagging compared to RBR and Ferrari. I might even go further and say that they'll fight with Mclarens, especially in Qualy.

As for Ferrari, well said in previous posts, their only competition is Ferrari Engine, Strategy Department and Driver Errors.
Wroom wroom

PlatinumZealot

Dialtone's data traces show Mercedes is very good at medium speed so far. It will be close in Hungary.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mclaren111

LM10 wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 18:37
Ferrari's biggest rival will be Ferrari. Let's see how it turns out this time around.
=D>

:lol:

Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 13:05
Dialtone's data traces show Mercedes is very good at medium speed so far. It will be close in Hungary.
If it rains, no one will be good in Hungary - the usual state of play in the rain these days is to delay the race for an hour, do 10 laps behind the safety car and then red flag waiting for conditions to improve. :evil:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Vanja #66

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 13:05
If all teams choose to go max downforce - Merc will have less than Ferrari and RB. If teams choose to go medium downforce - Merc will suffer on straights. In any case, they can be close only by divine intervention. Which is actually very likely, considering how it worked out for Max this season :lol:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie