2022 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djos

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

Big Tea wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 10:21
djos wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 10:17
From the silly season thread:
RedNEO wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 10:05
https://racingnews365.com/revealed-pias ... en-in-2023

[BREAKING]Piastri has signed for McLaren for 2023 replacing Ricciardo!

Wow! Alpine really screwed up!
Did they? :mrgreen: They ended up with Ricciardo (if he is actually going there)
We are only assuming he’s going back to Alpine/Renault, although it does seem logical.

I don’t see it as a bad deal at all, for either party. However, considering they wanted Fernando and then Oscar and lost both within days of each other, that’s a pretty big screwup in my book.
"In downforce we trust"

organic

Who are the options for Alpine if this news is correct? Mick, Ricciardo, Gasly(?), Pourchaire?

djos

Ricciardo would be the best candidate of the bunch, especially as Alpine clearly wanted a multiple race winning team leader in the other seat.
"In downforce we trust"

McL-H

I wouldn’t be surprised if Alpine does not want Ricciardo back and they’ll go with a full French lineup of Ocon and Gasly. Perhaps Ricciardo to STR?

The Prodigy

So Alonso probably knew that Piastri signed with McLaren and decided to go to Aston Martin anyway although Alpine will (probably) have a better car the next two seasons?

Crazy.

DChemTech

McL-H wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 11:22
I wouldn’t be surprised if Alpine does not want Ricciardo back and they’ll go with a full French lineup of Ocon and Gasly. Perhaps Ricciardo to STR?
After having been at RB for several years? Not a chance, that would be the ultimate humiliation. I'd figure he'd rather have lawnmower races with hulkenberg. For Ricciardo, I reckon Alpine or out. Gasly to Alpine wouldn't be bad for both parties; Alpine gets an all french lineup (albeit with two decent, yet not epic drivers), and Gasly can finally move on since the RB route is unlikely for him anyway. AT should not have an issue getting someone new in, they don't need seasoned drivers anyway.

Redragon

McL-H wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 11:22
I thought same Gasly but was confirmed by Alpha Tauri

Andres125sx

ringo wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 04:42
But Ocon is a race winner..
Also he is loyal. Something Alonso knows nothing about.
We need to look on this on a management and business perspective.
Even without discussing Alonso's loyalty or not, those are two contradictory statements.
If we look to this from a management and business perspective, it's performance, experience and revenue what should be considered, not loyalty, and in all those aspects, Alonso is a much better bet than Ocon.

Loyalty is not a parameter from a business point of view, business is business, both parts need to win for any business to succeed. Actually best businessmen manage to get good deals for theiselves, and also manage to make happy the other part, instead of forcing the other part to accept your conditions.

Alpine failed miserably in this regard both with Alonso and Piastri, they assumed they could force both to accept their conditions even if they didn't like it... so they both are leaving. Karma.

billamend

I would get Pourchaire before Ricciardo.

JordanMugen

djos wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 10:17
From the silly season thread:
RedNEO wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 10:05
https://racingnews365.com/revealed-pias ... en-in-2023

[BREAKING]Piastri has signed for McLaren for 2023 replacing Ricciardo!
The FIA's contract recognition board ruled that there was no valid contract between Alpine and Piastri before 2023, leaving McLaren free to agree a deal with the Australian.

Piastri's deal with McLaren was said to have been finalised on the evening of July 30, before Fernando Alonso's move to Aston Martin was confirmed on August 1.

Under Formula 1's regulations, Alpine cannot challenge the board's decision, as F1 teams have previously unanimously decided that it is the highest body that can rule on contractual matters.
Wow! Alpine really screwed up!
Whoops! :lol:

The suggestions of Alpine F1 Team having superior legal advice to Piastri, Webber & McLaren now seem most unfounded indeed.

Good to see that is all cleared up anyway, and I imagine Alpine will be keen to make a "legally correct" deal with Daniel Ricciardo or another driver. :)

If, as stated by Szafnauer , Alpine wanted to field either Alonso or Piastri for 2023 why didn't they make a deal with either driver in a more timely manner? :?: Most bizarre indeed.

djos

billamend wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 12:47
I would get Pourchaire before Ricciardo.
The reason Alpine wanted to keep Fernando on, is he's a proven F1 race winner, Daniel would meet that requirement better than a rookie who couldn't even win an F2 championship despite 3 years of trying.
"In downforce we trust"

diffuser

djos wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 11:18
Ricciardo would be the best candidate of the bunch, especially as Alpine clearly wanted a multiple race winning team leader in the other seat.
Ricciardo has an option with McLaren next year. If he picks up the option, McLaren will have to pay him 15 Million regardless if they have him drive or not.

So if I was Alpine I'd tell Ricciardo to pick the option. Then you can negotiate to take Ricciardo of McLaren's for $1.

This is a joke. Someone needs to get fired for this screw up if it's true. I'd presume it would be some Lawyer advising Alpine.

JordanMugen

diffuser wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 15:10
This is a joke. Someone needs to get fired for this screw up if it's true.
The baffling thing is that if Piastri was Alpine's number one choice all along why didn't Alpine finalise a Piastri contract at the Hungarian Grand Prix, instead of McLaren finalising a Piastri contract at the Hungarian Grand Prix?! :wtf:

One worries instead that Alpine were actually intending to retain Alonso and so there actually was no vacancy for Piastri at all. :oops:

Given there was no vacancy for Piastri to sign for, Alpine should be hardly be surprised about Piastri taking up another vacancy (albeit an unannounced one until Ricciardo makes an annoucment) ! :lol:

F1since1980

diffuser wrote:
djos wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 11:18
Ricciardo has an option with McLaren next year. If he picks up the option, McLaren will have to pay him 15 Million regardless if they have him drive or not.

So if I was Alpine I'd tell Ricciardo to pick the option. Then you can negotiate to take Ricciardo of McLaren's for $1.

This is a joke. Someone needs to get fired for this screw up if it's true. I'd presume it would be some Lawyer advising Alpine.
Fault lies with Laurent Rossi- IMO he is over his head. He needed to take business negotiation 101 when he was getting his Harvard MBA, might of missed that one or maybe it was an elective... Otmar just follows his orders. This has cost the team millions and management has a credibility issue with its employees. Well done Rossi.

ringo

JordanMugen wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 16:48
diffuser wrote:
This is a joke. Someone needs to get fired for this screw up if it's true.
The baffling thing is that if Piastri was Alpine's number one choice all along why didn't Alpine finalise a Piastri contract at the Hungarian Grand Prix, instead of McLaren finalising a Piastri contract at the Hungarian Grand Prix?! :wtf:

One worries instead that Alpine were actually intending to retain Alonso and so there actually was no vacancy for Piastri at all. :oops:

Given there was no vacancy for Piastri to sign for, Alpine should be hardly be surprised about Piastri taking up another vacancy (albeit an unannounced one until Ricciardo makes an annoucment) ! :lol:
I have a theory that Zack agreed with Piastri at the same time he threatened Riciardo which was verrry early in the season. Daniel Lost his seat then and there.

I am not worried for Alpine. They will come out better no matter what happens.

They will have a very decent line up.

Ricciardo may want a multi year deal. They wont give him cause he broke it the last time.
So he may well retire.

Alpine will find another good driver to work with Ocon. The worst thing that can happen is they take Latifi.

edit: What ever happened to the fitipaldi kid?
For Sure!!