Pre-silly-season-silliness.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Tea

Re: Pre-silly-season-silliness.

The Prodigy wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 14:57
Big Tea wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 14:45
aran.vtec wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 14:26

I feel the same and with Norris on top form with the added pressure Mclaren themselves have to perform, Might not be the best environment for a rookie
He does not have to do better than Lando to be a success, just better than Danny.
At least for the first year
A rookie should show potential in the first year and massively improve in the second year. Lando is a good example for that.
Well there are many who rate Danny as 'one of the better drivers', so out performing him should put him higher than just the first step on the ladder. He can not lose unless its a real disaster, then he can claim its the car, look how Danny struggled.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

RedNEO

SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 16:11
RedNEO wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 13:19
It would be ironic if after all this Piastri ends up getting Vandoorned by Norris lol
It wouldn’t be much different than what is happening today, with the caveat that Piastri will cost way less than Daniel, not much lost for McLaren if that’s the case.
From my understanding of it(and I could be wrong) I think McLaren is hoping Alpine will want Ricciardo enough to buy him out of his contract so they don’t have to. Currently it looks like they will be paying not only Daniel’s salary but Oscar’s too, for a rookie to drive for them. I think that’s why we haven’t had any team announcements.
Last edited by RedNEO on 05 Aug 2022, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.

RedNEO

Just_a_fan wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 17:14
djos wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 15:11
aran.vtec wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 15:08

The way teams are fighting over him its like he's the next lewis/Charles/Max/russel and they all beat their teammates
Well he’s the Only driver to ever win all 3 junior championship’s, and do it in his rookie season for each championship.
He took F3 and F2 in his only season in each. Formula Renault took him 2 attempts. And he didn't win F4.

By comparison Russell won F4 on his first attempt, didn't win F3 having tried twice, won GP3 and F2 on his first attempt at each. And Max never won a junior car series, having done only 1 season between karts and F1. Lewis won Formula Renault and F3 at the second attempt of each before winning GP2 on his first attempt. Seb only won one feeder series - Formula BMW ADAC. Fernando won one feeder series out of the two he did between karts and F1.

So Piastri's record isn't uniquely good - albeit that it is very good - and, of course, feeder results don't guarantee F1 results.

It's worth remembering that junior series record only gives an indication - you need also to look at who they're racing.
Nicely detailed run down, I hardly knew any of this.
=D>

SmallSoldier

RedNEO wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 18:16
SmallSoldier wrote:
RedNEO wrote:
It would be ironic if after all this Piastri ends up getting Vandoorned by Norris lol
It wouldn’t be much different than what is happening today, with the caveat that Piastri will cost way less than Daniel, not much lost for McLaren if that’s the case.
From my understanding of it(and I could be wrong) I think McLaren is hoping Alpine will want Ricciardo enough to buy him out of his contract so they don’t have to. Currently it looks like they will be paying not only Daniel’s salary but Oscar’s too, for a rookie to drive for them. I think that’s why we haven’t had any team announcements.
That’s a possibility… I honestly don’t know what is in Daniel’s contract… I have no reason to doubt Zak when he said earlier in the year that there are “mechanisms” in place to part ways with Daniel if it came down to it… Nor have I read from anyone in the McLaren camp saying that there is no out for the Team… I’m afraid this is one of those situations when a “journalist” puts something out and simply because it isn’t denied by the Team or the driver and it just gets repeated enough that it becomes a “fact”.

At the end, we don’t know what the contracts say… Apparently everyone’s assumption that there was an option in Oscar’s contract that expired on July 31st wasn’t accurate (there was never an option, or a signed one).

Neither Daniel nor McLaren have made any comments, which tells me that they are working through it and it’s not as simple as McLaren paying him out for 2023.

RedNEO

SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 19:19
RedNEO wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 18:16
SmallSoldier wrote:

That’s a possibility… I honestly don’t know what is in Daniel’s contract… I have no reason to doubt Zak when he said earlier in the year that there are “mechanisms” in place to part ways with Daniel if it came down to it… Nor have I read from anyone in the McLaren camp saying that there is no out for the Team… I’m afraid this is one of those situations when a “journalist” puts something out and simply because it isn’t denied by the Team or the driver and it just gets repeated enough that it becomes a “fact”.

At the end, we don’t know what the contracts say… Apparently everyone’s assumption that there was an option in Oscar’s contract that expired on July 31st wasn’t accurate (there was never an option, or a signed one).

Neither Daniel nor McLaren have made any comments, which tells me that they are working through it and it’s not as simple as McLaren paying him out for 2023.
If McLaren pays him his full salary just like what happened with Kimi at Ferrari if he races than he forfeits it. Kimi chose to not race for two years and keep the money. So McLaren can be let off the hook if Ricciardo finds a drive..

I don’t think there’s anything to worry about I’m sure McLaren are working with Daniel to find a seat.

Mogster

RedNEO wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 18:17
Just_a_fan wrote:
djos wrote:

Well he’s the Only driver to ever win all 3 junior championship’s, and do it in his rookie season for each championship.
He took F3 and F2 in his only season in each. Formula Renault took him 2 attempts. And he didn't win F4.

By comparison Russell won F4 on his first attempt, didn't win F3 having tried twice, won GP3 and F2 on his first attempt at each. And Max never won a junior car series, having done only 1 season between karts and F1. Lewis won Formula Renault and F3 at the second attempt of each before winning GP2 on his first attempt. Seb only won one feeder series - Formula BMW ADAC. Fernando won one feeder series out of the two he did between karts and F1.

So Piastri's record isn't uniquely good - albeit that it is very good - and, of course, feeder results don't guarantee F1 results.

It's worth remembering that junior series record only gives an indication - you need also to look at who they're racing.
=D>
Piastri was run pretty close in FIA F3 by Pourchaire and Sargeant.

He clearly deserves an F1 seat but his arrival seems to be generating close to hysteria. Joining Mclaren with Norris having his feet planted firmly under the table is not going to be easy, the car doesn’t appear to be straightforward to drive. As others have said a Vandoorning would seem possible. Joining Ocon at Alpine would seem to invite less pressure, less expectation.

RedNEO

Mogster wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 20:43
RedNEO wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 18:17
Just_a_fan wrote:

=D>

He clearly deserves an F1 seat but his arrival seems to be generating close to hysteria. Joining Mclaren with Norris having his feet planted firmly under the table is not going to be easy, the car doesn’t appear to be straightforward to drive. As others have said a Vandoorning would seem possible. Joining Ocon at Alpine would seem to invite less pressure, less expectation.
Yeah the hysteria is like everyone has been put under a trance.. something similar but nowhere near this extent happened with “Unstoffable” until it didn’t. But him being in McLaren definitely makes it more entertaining because we will get answers almost immediately.

JPower

Mogster wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 20:43

None of the 2022 cars are easy to drive.

Regardless, he shouldn't be racing if he doesn't think he can get to the level of Norris eventually. He'll have a fairly long leash his first season to get up to speed.

Its obvious Alpine made promises they couldn't keep and trust was lost between the two. It happens, move to Plan B.

JPower

Redragon wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 15:09
sunny1304r wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 14:19
For all these noise, Piastri will be under extreme pressure to deliver. This might not be good for his career.
Norris was too and turn out alright!, Zack was right on giving Norris a chance, Let's see how Piastri handle it before any conclusions. If he made the apexes will be already better than Ricciardo.

What sucks about the telemetry we get is that is doesn't tell us how hard the brake is being used. Its pretty well known the McLaren needs to be driven hard on the brakes on turn in. Just like last year, Lando does it right and almost stabs the brakes to get the nose in. Ricciardo just rolls through the corners like he always done. The car doesn't have the front DF to do that style. I don't know if any of the 2022 cars do.

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong but I still don't understand how he hasn't adapted his style after all this time.

djos

DChemTech wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 16:54
djos wrote:
aran.vtec wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 15:08

The way teams are fighting over him its like he's the next lewis/Charles/Max/russel and they all beat their teammates
Which is the 1st one that you refer to? As far as wikipedia is concerned, he was 2nd in F4 (British, after a prior run in F4 UAE) and won Formula Renault in his 2nd year there.

But still, F3 and F2 rookie wins are impressive, and it's a bit of a surprise that Alpine did not take him in, or try harder to station him elsewhere, last year. Not as a replacement of Alonso, but of Ocon - who had a good run in the juniors as well (rookie F3 and GP3 winner), but in his early F1 career was mainly remembered for being the guy that got in a rumble with the race leader trying to unlap himself, and a bit of cheekiness right after. In the time after, Ocon's had his moments, including a win, but overall hasn't majorly impressed.
Ah sorry, I thought it was his rookie season in formula Renault, but you are correct, it was his second season.
"In downforce we trust"

langedweil

SmallSoldier wrote:
RedNEO wrote:
Well, the first year he'll be more expensive than Ricc by itself, as it's the buyout + salary ?
HuggaWugga !

Dernie Ecclestone

Why pick McLaren over Renault? Their car seems more developed and actually has a livery not childish looking Google logos. What am I missing.

SmallSoldier

langedweil wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 03:37
SmallSoldier wrote:
RedNEO wrote:
Well, the first year he'll be more expensive than Ricc by itself, as it's the buyout + salary ?
A lot of assumptions made in regards to the amount of the buyout, which would depend on the clauses in his contract (performance clauses), in addition, if Daniel has another ride, McLaren won’t be paying the full amount (or potentially any amount at all)… If McLaren pays Daniel his full salary, they could make him seat the 2023 season and I don’t think Daniel would like that.

So, most probably a reduction of cost for McLaren for the second seat

Big Tea

Dernie Ecclestone wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 04:44
Why pick McLaren over Renault? Their car seems more developed and actually has a livery not childish looking Google logos. What am I missing.
Politics
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

selvam_e2002

It is a combined effort from Alonso,Webber,Oscar to screw Alpine at right time. Thanks to Vettel.

I am little worried by Oscar, he may be similar challenges when Vandroone drove along with Alonso. Norris is very strong in Mclaren. He may destroy Oscar.