Pre-silly-season-silliness.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Zynerji

Re: Pre-silly-season-silliness.

PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 03:29
CHT wrote:
19 Sep 2022, 01:28
Just curious if we can expect to see SV following KR and MS's footsteps by returning to F1 after taking a 2-3 years sabbatical from the sport. 2026 may open up many new possibilities for German WDC drivers like SV. e.g. Team Audi (2026), or even Merc (after LH retirement).
SV is washed up. If he returns it will be for a backmarker or emergency back-up.

I don't even think SV likes F1 anymore.
I think SV comes back as a Team Principle like Prost and Berger. He has the leadership and technical knowledge to do well.

CHT
CHT

SV when asked about his retirement.

For a person at his age, it is unlikely to not have something lined up to keep him occupied during his retirement. 3 years? Yes, that is about the time when Audi will be ready for pre-season testing for 2026.
“I don’t know at the moment. I’m not considering anything, because I’m stepping away. Time will tell what will be something that is possible to do – if there is an offer of any such nature or not – and then I will see how I feel like [in] the moment,” 35-year-old Vettel commented.

“I’m quite happy to spend more time on other things and I look forward to seeing the kids more and stuff like that. Then time will tell whether I get bored within three months or three years!”

DChemTech

Zynerji wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 03:51
PlatinumZealot wrote:
CHT wrote:
Just curious if we can expect to see SV following KR and MS's footsteps by returning to F1 after taking a 2-3 years sabbatical from the sport. 2026 may open up many new possibilities for German WDC drivers like SV. e.g. Team Audi (2026), or even Merc (after LH retirement).
SV is washed up. If he returns it will be for a backmarker or emergency back-up.

I think SV comes back as a Team Principle like Prost and Berger. He has the leadership and technical knowledge to do well.
For someone that quoted environmental concerns as a reason to get out, that seems unlikely to me. Maybe FE, or if F1 ever really goes green instead of greenwashing. But not in the current form.

Big Tea

CHT wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 08:11
SV when asked about his retirement.

For a person at his age, it is unlikely to not have something lined up to keep him occupied during his retirement. 3 years? Yes, that is about the time when Audi will be ready for pre-season testing for 2026.
“I don’t know at the moment. I’m not considering anything, because I’m stepping away. Time will tell what will be something that is possible to do – if there is an offer of any such nature or not – and then I will see how I feel like [in] the moment,” 35-year-old Vettel commented.

“I’m quite happy to spend more time on other things and I look forward to seeing the kids more and stuff like that. Then time will tell whether I get bored within three months or three years!”
I see him going into politics. Possibly an ambassadorial role for something he believes in.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Shakeman

Why would someone who can drive a car fast be suitable to become a politician? SV has become fabulously rich while engaged in a sport that is an enormous carbon producer, for him to enter politics on a Green ticket should be seen by anyone with two braincells to rub together as the epitome of hypocrisy.

Fulcrum

Shakeman wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 15:25
Why would someone who can drive a car fast be suitable to become a politician? SV has become fabulously rich while engaged in a sport that is an enormous carbon producer, for him to enter politics on a Green ticket should be seen by anyone with two braincells to rub together as the epitome of hypocrisy.
Two word rebuttal.

Arnold Schwarzenegger.

If you think the qualifications for becoming a successful politician are ethics and credibility, you're deluded or incredibly naive, possibly both.

Just_a_fan

Shakeman wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 15:25
He has a number of causes that he supports outside of F1. An obvious one is LGBT+ rights. His role in F1 wouldn't be hypocritical there, would it?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

CMSMJ1

Let's settle down a touch eh?

Silly season - not world politics please.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Zynerji

Any speculation on the odds of Audi buying Sauber, booting out Bottas and Zho and putting together a Schumacher/Hulkenberg lineup? Or better yet, a Schumacher/Rosberg lineup?

It would grab headlines!

Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote:
02 Oct 2022, 06:54
Any speculation on the odds of Audi buying Sauber, booting out Bottas and Zho and putting together a Schumacher/Hulkenberg lineup? Or better yet, a Schumacher/Rosberg lineup?

It would grab headlines!
It would certainly make people ask why Audi are wasting their money. :lol:

Schumacher hasn't shown himself to be the second coming of Michael. Rosberg wouldn't be interested. He's done with being a driver in F1.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Shakeman

Zynerji wrote:
02 Oct 2022, 06:54

It would grab headlines!
I thought after the pre-season silliness events of last week which we're not allowed to discuss that I wondered if the Porsche board are breathing a huge sigh of relief that the deal didn't go through? I also wonder just how much appetite German car manufacturers like VAG will have for huge new investments in motorsport going forward. It'll depend on just how ****** the economies become I guess.

'Booting' a Chinese driver would be one of the most strategically stupid decisions any car manufacturing title sponsor could do right now. Look at the World economic data we're not allowed to discuss, you wouldn't want to damage your selling potential in China for the foreseeable future. If you were a car manufacturer and you needed to build more manufacturing plants in China it might just help. These things shouldn't make a difference but in business they actually do. Expect teams to be already looking for the next fast Chinese F1 driver as a matter of good business sense.

I'm not sure why any team would boot Bottas, he hasn't done much wrong and has a proven pedigree, especially in exchange for either Schumacher or Hulkenberg. It wouldn't make sporting sense.

Zynerji

As we've discussed in a previous thread, it's about the $. If an all-German lineup is possible, and you can measure the success of the all-French Alpine lineup, it may be a better marketing exercise overall.

Toto has spoken about the billions of marketing dollar value out of F1. Some will not care if they finish 9th in the championship. If the initial hype, and the photographs keep circulating, the math may say that is the optimal strategy for ROI. It would be very interesting to see these numbers.

PlatinumZealot

Zynerji wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
CHT wrote:

Sorry to divert but the correct word is "Prinicipal."

The other word Principle is related but it refers to a "belief, rule or law or the essense of something."

Check out the differences in how there are used. I know it's language barrier and all, that but it's a commonly misspelled word in F1 forums and it sorta gets to me.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Zynerji

PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 15:49
Zynerji wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Sorry to divert but the correct word is "Prinicipal."

The other word Principle is related but it refers to a "belief, rule or law or the essense of something."

Check out the differences in how there are used. I know it's language barrier and all, that but it's a commonly misspelled word in F1 forums and it sorta gets to me.
I do most of my posts with voice typing. That's why you see so many edits if you check!

PlatinumZealot

Change the topic to 2022 silly season please.

Oh and btw Daniel Ricciardo will be at Williams.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏